Votes: 43 67.2%

• Total voters

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
4WD on Summer Tires vs. 2WD on Winters

Just saw this relevant video posted up on youtube. It’s all about the contact patch.
^ great example of the difference in capabilities between seasonal tires. helps to explain why we see so many trucks and SUVs in the ditch during inclement weather OR icy temperatures. you cannot beat a true snowflake tire for cold temps OR snow traction.

most people focus on snow, and figure if they don't get snow they don't need winter tires. it is the temperature that counts as well. cold temps without snow are another factor to consider.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Self-Driving Cars, Tires, and the Great National Stupidity
"In what universe are all-season tires sufficient for all seasons? The one where people trust words over common sense. All-season ≠ good in all seasons. All-season is a catch-all. A compromise. If all-seasons were great in snow, snow tires wouldn't exist. If all-seasons were great summer tires, summer tires wouldn't exist. All-seasons are the sneakers of tires. You wouldn't wear sneakers instead of skis, or snowshoes to the beach. And yet people persist in the folly of using all-seasons through harsh winters. Then they crash. Sometimes they die."
Maybe in climate like mine maybe a few of 1"-2" snow storms or the rare 3-6 and the "state shutdown" very rare 6-12

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Self-Driving Cars, Tires, and the Great National Stupidity
"In what universe are all-season tires sufficient for all seasons? The one where people trust words over common sense. All-season ≠ good in all seasons. All-season is a catch-all. A compromise. If all-seasons were great in snow, snow tires wouldn't exist. If all-seasons were great summer tires, summer tires wouldn't exist. All-seasons are the sneakers of tires. You wouldn't wear sneakers instead of skis, or snowshoes to the beach. And yet people persist in the folly of using all-seasons through harsh winters. Then they crash. Sometimes they die."
Depends on where you live. In a place that get two snowfalls of an inch or two a winter, you won't easily convince car owners to invest in winter tires. An all season with good tread is better than a summer tire. If you live in Arizona and commute to the Mojave on a regular basis, summer tires are needed, but if the high in your area is 80 degrees and 5 miles to the mall is a long trip, most any tire will do.
Yeah I'm with Ed. I live in MS and it rarely ever snows. If it does show, EVERYTHING shuts down. School is canceled and everything. There's absolutely no reason for winter tires where I live. There are years where it doesn't snow at all.

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'll never understand that logic. To me, the "cost" of an accident mandates me to not think of the problem as a probability game alone.

If I'm going to drive in sub freezing temps, I want the best tool for the job, because the cost of failure is too high. Doesn't matter if it's for one day or twenty.

Your logic may vary.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So with your logic, I went out today when it was 19 degrees and should have had winter tires.

Here is my logic. Snow tires are great in snow. In 57 years of driving with many types of tires, I never had a failure or accident in sub freezing weather. In my younger years I had some crappy tires and recaps too. Of the past 37 years in New England I had snow tires maybe four of them. Nokian WRG3 I always had tires with decent tread though.

Works for me, you can get what works for you though.
I'm sure you'd change your tune if you were in an accident cause your tires didn't grip.
All season tires don't work well below 7 degrees Celsius period. Whether or not you need winter tires is not debatable when driving in freezing conditions.
People are free to take that risk if they want but advising others to do the same is reckless!

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So with your logic, I went out today when it was 19 degrees and should have had winter tires.

Here is my logic. Snow tires are great in snow. In 57 years of driving with many types of tires, I never had a failure or accident in sub freezing weather. In my younger years I had some crappy tires and recaps too. Of the past 37 years in New England I had snow tires maybe four of them. Nokian WRG3 I always had tires with decent tread though.

Works for me, you can get what works for you though.
Key distinction: *Winter* tires, not "snow" tires.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'll never understand that logic. To me, the "cost" of an accident mandates me to not think of the problem as a probability game alone.

If I'm going to drive in sub freezing temps, I want the best tool for the job, because the cost of failure is too high. Doesn't matter if it's for one day or twenty.

Your logic may vary.
29 degrees is a very cold day here in MS, and it's usually only in the middle of the night that it gets that low. And often it'll get that low for one or two days and then be back up to the 60s and 70s. Would you really be switching tires every other day just to have optimum grip for a few hours? If so, more power to you, but in the south where it rarely gets below freezing and never snows, I just don't see the point.

Bald Eagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
San Francisco Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ I have driven in snow with proper all season tires for 20 years now. They’re fine.

Funny you posted that tire!!! I live by Sumitomo and Khumo tires. I think they’re fantastic...and have been buying both for about 15 years now.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Toddasaurus

Robots, lasers, dinosaurs.
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ I have driven in snow with proper all season tires for 20 years now. They’re fine.

Funny you posted that tire!!! I live by Sumitomo and Khumo tires. I think they’re fantastic...and have been buying both for about 15 years now.
Hah, nice! I've been a fan of Kumho and Falken for a while now, but this is my first time using Sumitomo. I'm all about getting the best bang for your buck.

Just for reference, my only point is that good all season tires are designed to perform in relatively cold temperatures (ie when it's cold enough to snow). For reference, here is a snippet of the advertisement/description for the Sumitomo's I got for my wife's car.

The Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 (High Tech Radial, All-Season, Premium 2nd Generation) tire line includes W-speed rated Ultra High Performance All-Season radials developed to meet the year-round driving needs of sports car, sporty coupe and performance sedan drivers by blending dry and wet road performance with all-season wintertime traction. The HTR A/S P02 radials use Sumitomo's high-tech materials and manufacturing methods to blend ultra-high performance with all-season traction, even in occasional light snow.
See? Snow. Obviously not nearly as good as snow tires in the super cold and/or snow, but I don't think they suddenly fall flat after the temp gets close to freezing.

Toddasaurus

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do you think "cheap ones" may be a factor?
Possibly. At the time I just wanted something, anything, other than her summer only tires. I based my choice not only on the price, but also the reviews for that specific tire. Those seemed to fit the bill, as I'm always looking for something that's a good bang for your buck. To clarify, those Sumitomo's aren't necessarily 'cheap', but they are on the less expensive side for their category (ie UHP All Season).

Toddasaurus

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Beefer , I don't know why I posted my response to you on this thread. I thought I was looking at your thread where you were talking about switching to all seasons. Oops. My bad.

Sorry for that, everyone! Please disregard my ignorant post. Haha.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Beefer , I don't know why I posted my response to you on this thread. I thought I was looking at your thread where you were talking about switching to all seasons. Oops. My bad.

Sorry for that, everyone! Please disregard my ignorant post. Haha.
I think you’re good...on point and on topic...LOL.

Kind of anyway.

Point is...I got AWD not just for winter driving. But to utilize AWD in the winter (cold and/or minor snow)...good all seasonals are perfect:)

kenbefound

Registered Member
Springfield, MA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Absolutely could not agree more with this sentiment. I'll never run A/S tires for this very reason, no matter the climate. There's just no point other than laziness.
Not sure I agree with the laziness quip, unless you find a mechanic that will store them for you and respect your rims it can be a hassle.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Depends on where you live. In a place that get two snowfalls of an inch or two a winter, you won't easily convince car owners to invest in winter tires. An all season with good tread is better than a summer tire. If you live in Arizona and commute to the Mojave on a regular basis, summer tires are needed, but if the high in your area is 80 degrees and 5 miles to the mall is a long trip, most any tire will do.
Exactly EdP!

People like myself who live in NM, don't need snow tires, likewise southern AZ etc. However, we can go from 50 degree weather at 5,000 to 6,000 ft. and within an hour be experiencing; subzero temperatures, icy snow packed and covered roads, thunder-snow and nearly all forms of in-climate weather in the mountains above 8,000 - 12,000 ft +. All season tires are a good compromise. You don't need snow tires, nor is it practical. We experience some of the most sever weather conditions recorded in the US every year, at altitude.

However, I won't agree with those who say; "you must have AWD to drive in such adverse conditions." We have very few accidents which occur in the mountains and on mountainous roads. People have the added understanding; that leaving the roads, plummeting several thousands of feet will most certainly contribute to their demise. So, they drive much more consistently, conservatively and cautiously in such conditions. Most with two wheel drive, front or rear.

However, common sense dictates, driving and actions, (when in doubt, stay home and off the roads). Most AWD owners believe they can avoid most of the problems associated with such sever weather and in the process take far too many chances. I love a RWD auto in heavy snow or icy conditions. They're more controllable, predictable and remind you, when to stay off the roads.

Last edited:

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Most of this happens within hours, sometimes less. We don't have the time to stop and put on snow tires. And if you'll notice in the video, very few if any drivers have snow tires on or are in AWD vehicles. Life simply goes on as is.

On US 550, "the million dollar highway," it's two lane and mountain passes crest 14,000 feet, no guard rails and nothing but ice and snow packed. Some sections, have drop gates to close the highway also. If you get caught between them, you're there as longs as they are closed and go to the nearest mountain town and stay till they are opened up again. AWD isn't going to help you, nor are snow tires.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.