Votes: 21 32.8%
  • AWD

Votes: 43 67.2%

• Total voters

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Most of this happens within hours, sometimes less. We don't have the time to stop and put on snow tires. And if you'll notice in the video, very few if any drivers have snow tires on or are in AWD vehicles. Life simply goes on as is.

On US 550, "the million dollar highway," it's two lane and mountain passes crest 14,000 feet, no guard rails and nothing but ice and snow packed. Some sections, have drop gates to close the highway also. If you get caught between them, you're there as longs as they are closed and go to the nearest mountain town and stay till they are opened up again. AWD isn't going to help you, nor are snow tires.

I hate it when people downplay the importance of things. Believing something doesn't make it true!
In those situations, winter tires could safe lives by shortening the braking distance and AWD will give you the extra bit of traction you need compared to 2WD.
But feel free to tempt fate!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I hate it when people downplay the importance of things. Believing something doesn't make it true!
In those situations, winter tires could safe lives by shortening the braking distance and AWD will give you the extra bit of traction you need compared to 2WD.
But feel free to tempt fate!
There's no tempting as you call it "fate." Fate is chance and chance is gambling. I don't gamble with the lives of my family or others.

It's more about of decades driving, heavy trucks, vehicles and racing that dictates my actions and driving ability in such conditions. No AWD will make up the difference for experience. Why hate at all, figuratively speaking? It's certainly not going to change anything. Out here, people take such weather in stride and adjust accordingly. Weather changes so dramatically and rapidly here we have to adjust just as rapid. We have allot of open country here and people help one another. We don't rush around ignoring others.

AWD shortening braking distances isn't need, if you are are aware and keep a safe known distance between you and the next vehicle. This is something we do as a norm and following distances increase as speed increases and conditions decrease. It's not a race to see who can get into an accident first.

Some AWD owners, still believe they can drive as normal (poorly), as they would in nominal conditions. It just ain't so. I don't know if it's their mentality, constantly rushing around from one place to another or a bit of both.

Looks like a fun trip in good weather. Not much room for error in bad.
It is EdP. It's a wonderfully amazing trip and you can stay in the mountains for days literally. My wife and her family had to stay with friends for almost two week when they closed US 550 one Christmas.

You're right, theres not much room for error but surprisingly people who live here know how to drive responsibly in such weather conditions and help one another when calamity occurs.

Last edited:

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There's no tempting as you call it "fate."

It's more about of decades driving heavy trucks, vehicles and racing that dictates action and driving ability in such conditions. No AWD will make up the difference for experience. Why hate at all, figuratively speaking. It's certainly not going to change anything.

It is EdP. It's a wonderfully amazing trip.
Your experience is your alone.
These are life and death decisions and saying otherwise is reckless. You can never control how others drive on the road but you have a choice!
I know of enough people who thought they were great drivers who don't live to repeat it!

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Here's the problem with all-season tires that makes me want to do dedicated winters. All seasons work fairly well in snow when the tread is new, but once they get under 5/32", they suck. This is about 65% wear. So unless you can time the winter season just right, you'll have some time where the A/S tires don't perform well at all. Or you'll have to replace them prematurely.

I have no experience with winter only tires, but I assume they will still perform decently when the tread wears.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Your experience is your alone.
These are life and death decisions and saying otherwise is reckless. You can never control how others drive on the road but you have a choice!
I know of enough people who thought they were great drivers who don't live to repeat it!
Yes they are, you are correct but an AWD isn't going to help you anymore or less. I'm not reckless and neither are those who give themselves time to make the right decisions while driving. I can't control what another driver is doing and neither can you. Fear mongering won't help either. I'm simply not going to worry about something I can't control, make up imaginary scenarios to cloud my judgement and action of what is happening now. I pay attention and watch.

Thank you for the your thoughts but these are your personal experiences and thought processes. A minor accident in the snow is not life threatening. Climbing a ladder can be dangerous also but it's not going to stop me from doing what I'm planning to do. War and battle are life and death decisions, not driving everyday. Airing on the side of caution, paying attention, watching and obeying traffic laws are a simply a necessity.

Under the influence drivers are a problem even more now, then they have been in the past but experience tells you to stay away from them also, not fear. I can't tell you exactly how many I've reported over the years but it's been quite a few. This comes from practical experience and knowledge of what to look for. However, it's not going to stop me from driving either.

Per-captja, AWD owners take far more chances in adverse weather than a RWD or FWD drivers do. Most have no idea how their vehicles will handle and take far too many liberties, instead of erring on caution. I see it almost everyday.

I am going to utilize all my experience, knowledge and understanding when driving, instead of relying upon AWD to do something I'm more than able to do myself.

Either-way, I'm not going to stop driving because of something that may or may not happen.

Merry Christmas and a Happy Safe and Prosperous New Year

soundman414

Registered Member
Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
My current car is a Subaru BRZ, and for the last three winters I have been using Blizzaks. Even in 6 inches of unplowed snow, icy roads, and really cold dry situations, the Blizzaks make driving in the winter a breeze and I can still drive like a hoonigan. I'm sure AWD would make a bit of a difference, but I've yet to experience a situation where I would regret not having it.

I live in Chicago and when I get my G70, I feel comfortable getting the RWD version and a set of blizzaks.

cmfhsu

My current car is a Subaru BRZ, and for the last three winters I have been using Blizzaks. Even in 6 inches of unplowed snow, icy roads, and really cold dry situations, the Blizzaks make driving in the winter a breeze and I can still drive like a hoonigan. I'm sure AWD would make a bit of a difference, but I've yet to experience a situation where I would regret not having it.

I live in Chicago and when I get my G70, I feel comfortable getting the RWD version and a set of blizzaks.
I HIGHLY recommend the Michelin X-Ice XI3. I've suggested it to several friends who are very happy. It feels less soft, squishy, and "snow-tire-y", in my experience. It makes for a much more normal winter driving experience than the blizzaks (plus they're actually quieter than my summer tires by some considerable margin). Some tests do seem to show slightly poorer performance compared to the blizzaks, but I'd happily give up 5% of a stellar winter tire's performance for some daily creature comforts.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I HIGHLY recommend the Michelin X-Ice XI3. I've suggested it to several friends who are very happy. It feels less soft, squishy, and "snow-tire-y", in my experience. It makes for a much more normal winter driving experience than the blizzaks (plus they're actually quieter than my summer tires by some considerable margin). Some tests do seem to show slightly poorer performance compared to the blizzaks, but I'd happily give up 5% of a stellar winter tire's performance for some daily creature comforts.
I have had X-Ice XI3 tires on my maxima for the last 3 winters or so and have a love/hate relationship with them. I do enjoy their winter condition capabilities, as they perform nicely in snowy and icy conditions. But I hate their driving dynamics in dry conditions. I find that they have very poor responsiveness, and the dry cornering performance from them is pretty awful. Where I live we get often have roads with dry conditions as often if not more often than snowy/icy conditions, so on my Genesis I'll be trying out Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires next winter.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have had X-Ice XI3 tires on my maxima for the last 3 winters or so and have a love/hate relationship with them. I do enjoy their winter condition capabilities, as they perform nicely in snowy and icy conditions. But I hate their driving dynamics in dry conditions. I find that they have very poor responsiveness, and the dry cornering performance from them is pretty awful. Where I live we get often have roads with dry conditions as often if not more often than snowy/icy conditions, so on my Genesis I'll be trying out Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires next winter.
Tires are all about trade-offs. Yes, the Xi3 is kind of sucky on dry pavement, but far less so than others (ex.: Blizzak, Hakkapeliita). The Sottozero is superior on dry pavement but more or less sucks compared to the Michelin everywhere else. Ultimately it depends on your driving conditions - pick whatever suits the majority of your driving.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Tires are all about trade-offs. Yes, the Xi3 is kind of sucky on dry pavement, but far less so than others (ex.: Blizzak, Hakkapeliita). The Sottozero is superior on dry pavement but more or less sucks compared to the Michelin everywhere else. Ultimately it depends on your driving conditions - pick whatever suits the majority of your driving.
I drove in winter with Continental DWS ultra high performance all season tires for 10 years or so, and those did a good job helping me get around in winter in a FWD car, so I suspect pretty much any winter tire with the AWD will make winter driving easy to deal with.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.