• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

G70: AWD vs RWD

RWD vs AWD?

• RWD

Votes: 47 35.1%
  • AWD

Votes: 87 64.9%

• Total voters

Antimatter

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I’m planning on AWD. Originally RWD but since it’s a RWD based AWD system there is still plenty of fun to have and it seems like it’s still easy to get the tail out.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Oh yeah, definitely still easy to get the tail out on the AWD 3.3. On the 2.0, I'm not sure...perhaps @NLJ can chime in?
Yeah you can get the tail out on the 2.0T. Much easier with the square winter setup. On the PS4, you need the roads to be a little slick. The rubber is way too grippy. You need all nannies off with the PS4.

kpod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Living in the northeast usa I will be going with AWD, probably 3.3T. I live in a very hilly area and there were times when I couldn't make it up my street in RWD cars in the snow. I've been driving AWD for the past 15 years.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Living in the northeast usa I will be going with AWD, probably 3.3T. I live in a very hilly area and there were times when I couldn't make it up my street in RWD cars in the snow. I've been driving AWD for the past 15 years.
I think this, personally, is the best reason for AWD in the snow. FWD or RWD simply doesn't have the traction to drive up steep hills when the roads are snowy.

As for me, I chose AWD just for more traction for when I'm putting down more power. I'll be starting upgrades very soon. So pumped!

Bastiat

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
One more vote for RWD in northern Virginia. AWD had great handling on the test drive, but adds weight and expense. I got the RWD 3.3. Duringthe ocasional snows here, we use my wife’s 4WD SUV.

FastEddie

“Did you check the safety manual?” -Yogi Bear
Gilbert, AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
RWD. In AZ if it ever snows we have the G37x and I have My company Jeep. I just really wanted a full rear drive car again. I started driving muscle cars At 16 and just loved the feel and handling of the G70 RWD vs AWD. Reminds me of my 71 Cougar 429CJ (sleeper).

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
AWD here in NH. Plus we live at 980' elevation, so big hills to get home. I would love to have the weight savings and tail happiness of RWD, but I prefer the confidence that I can make it through any weather even more. Plus, it's fun driving past those pickups and SUVs in a snowstorm with my sports sedan. 😊

FastEddie

“Did you check the safety manual?” -Yogi Bear
Gilbert, AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
As much as I hate the rain even though I lived in it for 40 years I got stuck out in it on the way up to Payson Arizona. I’ll talk about fun, traction control off, Big empty street = Drift Time 😍

Plus 1 for RWD.

Now comes the task of cleaning everything back up again. So much fun getting the road spray and grime off from underneath & all the wheels & brakes.

Last edited:

JeremyTD

Registered Member
Indianapolis
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Cheers to all of you going for RWD and especially with the MT. I seriously considered it myself. However, I decided on AWD with more unneeded goodies for this car.

I console myself knowing I have a tuned diesel (one of those cheating kind) with a MT for fun. The G70 is for pampering.....okay, okay....and fun too.

PL718

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm in Florida and considering both due to consistent rain.

I'm thinking just going RWD. It has all the standard driving nannies and I can run it in Eco mode if I'm that concerned...

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm in Florida and considering both due to consistent rain.

I'm thinking just going RWD. It has all the standard driving nannies and I can run it in Eco mode if I'm that concerned...
I chose AWD for the versatility in all weather conditions, and option to drive in RWD. If RWD you never have the option for AWD.

rdhqcpro

Charlotte, NC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I insisted on RWD for my 3.3T. Lighter = marginally faster and better MPG as well as better handling. Living in Charlotte, NC, snowy weather is rare and short-lived.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
This subject is overly subjective. To be honest the AWD car is so much rear wheel biased as to not make much of a difference in handling of that maybe the weight. That’s been confirmed by comparison reviews of both models.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums