G70 Coupe

Toddasaurus

Robots, lasers, dinosaurs.
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I apologize if this has been talked about previously.

Looks like the guys over at Autoguide are saying there will be a G70 Coupe soon. The article referenced below starts off with a fake render of how a G70 Coupe would probably look, and it's a very well done one I might add, but then at the end it says there was some sort of Genesis product roadmap that leaked stating that they have plans for a coupe...

This is all news to me. I had no idea! The article is referenced below.

Genesis G70 Coupe Rendering Has Us Desperate For The Real Thing » AutoGuide.com News

Thoughts?

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The parent company is probably a bit distracted at the moment dealing with the engine/fire issue!

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Almost makes me want to wait a bit longer. . . .but they also have the SUV plans. . . So, perhaps the coupe will arrive when it is time to move on from the G70.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm really curious about the coupe as well. I made a post elsewhere in the forums about it and all the info we know, including that roadmap you mentioned:

The Upcoming Genesis Coupe: What We Know

Summing a bit up, back in 2016 a product roadmap was released for the planned next few Genesis vehicles, and a near luxury coupe was included for 2020 or something. The accuracy of the map to now is a bit iffy since the market has changed, Genesis has had their dealership and sales problems, the SUVs have been delayed, and there's a new GV60 on the way too. Since the SUVs have been delayed from 2019 to early 2020 and the GV60 has been added to development, I think the coupe will come out in 2021 at least. Journalists have been talked to about a coupe based on the G70 platform, so it should still be in the works and not canceled.

Based on the time we've seen the G70/G80/GV80 camoed prototypes and their expected releases to market, we see camoed vehicles a bit over 1 year before they release to market. So I think we will start seeing camoed G70 coupes sometime in 2020, maybe (hopefully) early in the year.

As for what the coupe will be, I think it will still be a near luxury coupe that competes in the 4 Series to Cayman range. Since it'll be based on the G70 platform, it's not going to be a huge GT coupe or a high-end sports car. I would think (and hope) that the coupe will be more of a 2 seater sports car coupe like the Cayman rather than a 4 seater coupe like the 4 Series. The G70 is already small in the backseat with a sloping roofline like a Gran Coupe, so keeping the backseats and making them even smaller in a coupe seems ridiculous and like a waste of resources; plus, Genesis says they want differentiation in their coupe and not to just have a coupe for the sake of it. Genesis will want a no-compromises sports car too for brand image, and this coupe will be a good chance for that without investing in too many coupe models in this crossover dominated market. It should be possible to turn the G70 platform into a 2 seater coupe, since it would be only about a 10-12" difference and Jaguar in the past changed their XK platform (huge GT coupe) into the F-Type as precedence.

I don't know what would be going on with the GT car and sports car they mentioned previously that are linked in my post, since there's barely any info on those and the news is kinda all over the place.

As for the design, I don't think it's going to look anything like the render. The render doesn't have the GV80 and Essentia design motifs, which include the quad line headlights, straight line taillights, and side body lines that stretch all the way from the front hood to the rear fenders.

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

Robots, lasers, dinosaurs.
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm really curious about the coupe as well. I made a post elsewhere in the forums about it and all the info we know, including that roadmap you mentioned:

The Upcoming Genesis Coupe: What We Know

Summing a bit up, back in 2016 a product roadmap was released for the planned next few Genesis vehicles, and a near luxury coupe was included for 2020 or something. The accuracy of the map to now is a bit iffy since the market has changed, Genesis has had their dealership and sales problems, the SUVs have been delayed, and there's a new GV60 on the way too. Since the SUVs have been delayed from 2019 to early 2020 and the GV60 has been added to development, I think the coupe will come out in 2021 at least. Journalists have been talked to about a coupe based on the G70 platform, so it should still be in the works and not canceled.

Based on the time we've seen the G70/G80/GV80 camoed prototypes and their expected releases to market, we see camoed vehicles a bit over 1 year before they release to market. So I think we will start seeing camoed G70 coupes sometime in 2020, maybe (hopefully) early in the year.

As for what the coupe will be, I think it will still be a near luxury coupe that competes in the 4 Series to Cayman range. Since it'll be based on the G70 platform, it's not going to be a huge GT coupe or a high-end sports car. I would think (and hope) that the coupe will be more of a 2 seater sports car coupe like the Cayman rather than a 4 seater coupe like the 4 Series. The G70 is already small in the backseat with a sloping roofline like a Gran Coupe, so keeping the backseats and making them even smaller in a coupe seems ridiculous and like a waste of resources; plus, Genesis says they want differentiation in their coupe and not to just have a coupe for the sake of it. Genesis will want a no-compromises sports car too for brand image, and this coupe will be a good chance for that without investing in too many coupe models in this crossover dominated market. It should be possible to turn the G70 platform into a 2 seater coupe, since it would be only about a 10-12" difference and Jaguar in the past changed their XK platform (huge GT coupe) into the F-Type as precedence.

I don't know what would be going on with the GT car and sports car they mentioned previously that are linked in my post, since there's barely any info on those and the news is kinda all over the place.

As for the design, I don't think it's going to look anything like the render. The render doesn't have the GV80 and Essentia design motifs, which include the quad line headlights, straight line taillights, and side body lines that stretch all the way from the front hood to the rear fenders.

Oh dang, I'm sorry I completely missed your original thread on this subject! Much more informative than what I posted.

Also, I think you make some good points. Certainly would make more sense to make it a 2 seater, considering the size constraints we already have with the G70. It will be interesting to see what happens. Would be cool to see a more performance oriented G70!

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I think Genesis can hit a coupe out of the park in terms of design. Too many coupes just look like slope-rooflined sedans, particularly from the Germans. I wish there were more coupes that had the silhouettes of the Jaguar F-Type or Aston Martins. And I think if anyone can do it, it's Genesis with their lack of design history to be tied to and their designers from high-end luxury brands.

Although, I'm not sure I want to wait 2+ years on a car that COULD look nice :unsure:

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think Genesis can hit a coupe out of the park in terms of design. Too many coupes just look like slope-rooflined sedans, particularly from the Germans. I wish there were more coupes that had the silhouettes of the Jaguar F-Type or Aston Martins. And I think if anyone can do it, it's Genesis with their lack of design history to be tied to and their designers from high-end luxury brands.

Although, I'm not sure I want to wait 2+ years on a car that COULD look nice :unsure:
I already feel like Ive been waiting for that. So, a coupe may be my refresh when I am ready to move on. . . .from my hopefully soon to arrive g70.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.