G70 Headlight replacement

xpeetzax

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi all,

I just purchased a base model (2.0 advanced) g70 about a month ago and trying to replace the base HB3 halogen headlights with LEDs. I'm pretty much a noob at this whole process but I think it looks really awkward right now with the ugly yellow halogen lights. I know it was a particularly hard process to get to the headlights on the hyundai genesis coupe so it was more worth it for non technical types like me to just take it to the mechanic for a quick repair. I was wondering if anyone has replaced their headlights yet and if so how they went about it? Is it easy to do yourself or do you need to remove quite a few parts in order to access them? Also, any knowledge of aftermarket LED lights that would fit without all the bulk (cables, ballasts, etc.)?

Thanks again!

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi all,

I just purchased a base model (2.0 advanced) g70 about a month ago and trying to replace the base HB3 halogen headlights with LEDs. I'm pretty much a noob at this whole process but I think it looks really awkward right now with the ugly yellow halogen lights. I know it was a particularly hard process to get to the headlights on the hyundai genesis coupe so it was more worth it for non technical types like me to just take it to the mechanic for a quick repair. I was wondering if anyone has replaced their headlights yet and if so how they went about it? Is it easy to do yourself or do you need to remove quite a few parts in order to access them? Also, any knowledge of aftermarket LED lights that would fit without all the bulk (cables, ballasts, etc.)?

Thanks again!
sure thing; here you go!
1566834331353.png 1566834331353.png

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Umm I'm not looking to replace my reverse lights or tail lights.
That's involving the taillights. This guy wants to know about headlights for the base model G70 2.0t (which doesn't have the full LED headlights like the other packages)

Or I'm hugely mistaken. Either way I'll shut up now since I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute
I totally read taillights; youre both right and Im wrong. Sorry for being an ass; its just a knee jerk reaction because so few search before creating a new thread. Ill keep my knee in check from now on

So there are def no threads about the headlights, you are the first one to ask about it/attempt it. I do know that @Toddasaurus has info about parts he can share privately to give you an idea of how its all held together like @OMG70 recommended earlier. Hes your best bet I think.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You can replace the entire headlight housing, and it's really not too difficult. The problem, however, might be related to the wiring harness. I don't think the halogen fitted G70's have the same headlight wiring harness as the LED variants... :c

xpeetzax

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
From what I know, HID is more complicated to replace because it requires the ballasts and corresponding wiring harnesses, etc. I just purchased a 1:1 HB3/9005 LED replacement with a built-in cooling fan and chip (to bypass canbus/flickering issues) to try tonight. Also, I found out through my owner's manual that it is fairly easy to access the low beam headlights. They created an easy access compartment right in front of the front tires so that you can access them without having to open the hood or take anything off! Just needed to turn my wheels a bit inward to make room to remove 1 screw holding that access compartment. If all goes well, it should be as simple as just plugging out and plugging in the new one...which I'm hoping!

FYI i've tried using HID conversion kits for my other car back in the day and dealing with the wiring harness, canbus ballasts, and HID bulbs that didn't fit fully were quite the nightmare...

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
From what I know, HID is more complicated to replace because it requires the ballasts and corresponding wiring harnesses, etc. I just purchased a 1:1 HB3/9005 LED replacement with a built-in cooling fan and chip (to bypass canbus/flickering issues) to try tonight. Also, I found out through my owner's manual that it is fairly easy to access the low beam headlights. They created an easy access compartment right in front of the front tires so that you can access them without having to open the hood or take anything off! Just needed to turn my wheels a bit inward to make room to remove 1 screw holding that access compartment. If all goes well, it should be as simple as just plugging out and plugging in the new one...which I'm hoping!

FYI i've tried using HID conversion kits for my other car back in the day and dealing with the wiring harness, canbus ballasts, and HID bulbs that didn't fit fully were quite the nightmare...

Let us know how it goes! Sounds like a nice little upgrade.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
. Also, I found out through my owner's manual that it is fairly easy to access the low beam headlights. They created an easy access compartment right in front of the front tires so that you can access them without having to open the hood or take anything off! Just needed to turn my wheels a bit inward to make room to remove 1 screw holding that access compartment. If all goes well, it should be as simple as just plugging out and plugging in the new one...which I'm hoping!
Seems to be a new Hyundai/Genesis approach for headlights working. My wife's Kona has the same access on the front fender liners making swapping headlight bulbs change a breeze compare with older models where we had to disassemble the front bumper for changing bulbs.

xpeetzax

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Let us know how it goes! Sounds like a nice little upgrade.

Was very simple. Took me like 20 mins tops. Here are some before and after pics! The key is to find the right LED bulb with the correct chip and size so it fits 1:1 and has a built-in decoder. Fuses usually are not an issue since LED has lower wattage than Halogen anyway. Hope this is useful for someone in the future who purchases the base model who wants to save a chunk of change for full LED headlights (got the bulbs on amazon for $30!!).

Attachments

• IMG-1186.JPG
    IMG-1186.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG-1184.JPG
    IMG-1184.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 130

jaymatt

Registered Member
New Jersey
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Was very simple. Took me like 20 mins tops. Here are some before and after pics! The key is to find the right LED bulb with the correct chip and size so it fits 1:1 and has a built-in decoder. Fuses usually are not an issue since LED has lower wattage than Halogen anyway. Hope this is useful for someone in the future who purchases the base model who wants to save a chunk of change for full LED headlights (got the bulbs on amazon for $30!!).
Nice work! I wasn't even aware there are G70s with halogen headlights.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Outstanding! Looks good! I bet you see even better at night, too. Thanks for sharing your install, this is valuable info.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners