• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

G70 Manual Cancelled in Canada

ghollett12

Halifax
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just picked up my G70 Sport manual and was told by the salesperson that do to low demand Genesis will no longer offer an manual transmission in the Canadian market. Genesis will fill any existing orders but come MY2020, the car is no longer available.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
dang, that was quick. were they expecting huge volume? there's pretty good go-by data that they would have based their targets on i imagine.

or, they just wanted to make a big splash with the first year 6MT offering to raise eyebrows and garner press knowing the limited demand, with no intention actually making it a long-term option.

so, will this help or hurt G70 6MT resale? time will tell, but a 1-year run is very unusual.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
...Possibly a third. As someone posted yesterday, for a luxury brand, they stripped out some of the luxury goodies to save weight.
^ yes but only in the US market. CAD retained many of the 3.3T Sport luxury goodies. there are a few Tech goodies that are simply not compatible with 6MT.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You left out that until recently, manuals were substantially less expensive than automatics.
^ for a Nissan Sentra / Toyota Corolla, perhaps. but for enthusiast vehicles, the 6MT trims have not been the cheaper of the trim options for quite some time. but a more performance oriented vehicle has an avid, albeit small, target audience looking for 6MT. often the 6MT trims are near the top of the range. because manual and they know these fans will pay for it. there are simply not enough of us around to make sense for most brands these days.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm a little late to the party on this, but this is entirely incorrect. The manual gearbox isn't going anywhere for 2020. We never expected the car to sell more than a token volume - it's as much a brand-building tool as it is a volume driver.

What store did you deal with? We would appreciate knowing so they can be corrected.

g-force70

Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I can confirm this is incorrect, since I just got my 2020 2.0 Manual this October. Yes, the inventory is low but its still out there.

My Experience Manager sold his first to me, and soon after had two more deliveries.

Just got the ECU updated, and the turbo lag is history. Love it, better than the 3.3 Sport loaner they gave me lol.

Last edited:

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I can confirm this is incorrect, since I just got my 2020 2.0 Manual (Victoria Black) in October. Yes, the inventory is low but its still out there.

My Experience Manager sold his first to me, and soon after had two more deliveries.

Just got the ECU updated, and the turbo lag is history. Love it, better than the 3.3 Sport loaner they gave me lol.
Who updated the ECU, and what did they do? Is there a service bulletin number or software code/version number?

g-force70

Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Who updated the ECU, and what did they do? Is there a service bulletin number or software code/version number?
I had the car going in to the Genesis service centre for a handbrake light issue on the dashboard, told them of a lag in the first gear and engine stalling a few times. I read a thread which mentioned an ECU update as a fix. They ran it through, and I can feel a major difference. Not sure of the version/code, have asked them for the work order. Will keep posted!

Last edited:

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@PD705, do you work for Genesis? (Sounds like it.) If so, welcome. It's encouraging to think/hope that Genesis is paying attention to what its enthusiasts are saying. There's lots of good customer feedback here to help make the cars even better.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I can confirm this is incorrect, since I just got my 2020 2.0 Manual this October. Yes, the inventory is low but its still out there.

Highly doubt that.

mandwer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I for one want to hear more. Ive heard rumors of an ECU update but no confirmation. I really wanted to like the MT, and had no issues with the shifter and clutch feel (unlike most reviews) but the lack of engine response was a deal breaker. Rev matching was impossible. So if the ecu update has significantly improved performance I wohld give the 2.0 MT another chance.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums