G70 oil temp?

viciousCircle

Hasn't posted much yet...
These seem to get really hot when you flog them. Correct? Normal? Like 10 minutes of super spirited driving on a rural twisty canyon, engine starts at ~ 180, ends at ~ 220 or so? I guess I am used to my cars hovering around 200, and never really getting above despite a good flogging. Just seemed like that was a lot of movement. I am probably crazy. It's my first big turbo engine, previous have been NA or 4Ts. (GTI) GTI stayed around 200 even after tuned flog.

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is my first car with oil temp displayed, and it does go up to 220 easily. 180 is normal for coolant temp, but I do think oil temp being higher is normal and expected 👍

viciousCircle

Hasn't posted much yet...
This is my first car with oil temp displayed, and it does go up to 220 easily. 180 is normal for coolant temp, but I do think oil temp being higher is normal and expected 👍
Ok, good to hear! I need to crack my owner's manual to see what it says.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
These seem to get really hot when you flog them. Correct? Normal? Like 10 minutes of super spirited driving on a rural twisty canyon, engine starts at ~ 180, ends at ~ 220 or so? I guess I am used to my cars hovering around 200, and never really getting above despite a good flogging. Just seemed like that was a lot of movement. I am probably crazy. It's my first big turbo engine, previous have been NA or 4Ts. (GTI) GTI stayed around 200 even after tuned flog.
You want the oil to get to at least 212F to burn off any condensation. Engines and oils have improved but years ago, lots of short trips in cold weather would have you churning mayonnaise in the crankcase.
I've had cars in the 230 to 240 range as normal. You don't want to go above 275

HawaiiPD

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
When I worked as a mechanic at a Porsche dealer, most of the air cooled 6 cylinder engines oil temp went to 220-230. I worked for 10 years,
1971-1981, that is a lot of oil changes and engine rebuilds. Most of the rebuilds was due to owners NOT knowing how to check the oil in the
dry sump oil tank that is separate from the engine. We used 20w-50w oil, 12-15 quarts depending on if it had a front oil cooler (Turbos).

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums