• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

G70-one of the least reliable cars?

Philip2

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
This was from Yahoo clickbait. we came in as 10th worst car according to AAA. What are they talking about?

Overall score: 63 Reliability score: 2/5

This sport sedan is fairly comfortable to drive, but it compromises on space and isn’t as quick or fuel efficient as its competitors.

The 2021 Genesis G70 comes with excellent handling and controls and a classy interior finish with perforated leather seats and padded armrests. However, the controls and navigation system have flaws — the latter doesn’t offer alternative suggestions to misspelled addresses, for example.

The G70 dropped to a below-average reliability rating last year, primarily due to problems with the brakes and rotors and “excessive” pulsing or vibration.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Lol, ok. Almost sounds like the writer heard a rumour and just went with it.

Crazy

Philip2

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
does anyone know where this part of their comment comes from?

problems with the brakes and rotors and “excessive” pulsing or vibration.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Unfortunately the braking vibration problem has been well documented, including in this forum. Putting crappy pads that aren't up to the task on these cars is a mistake that has cost Genesis in terms of bad press like this. It's the only real problem I've had with mine in nearly three years and 20k miles (other than a very small oil leak and the noisy headliner issue in hot weather).

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The vibration is caused by the pad overheating and transferring to the disc. Certainly an annoyance and Husky is right that Genesis should have put on better pads, like the Euro spec versions. Overall though, not a huge issue but an issue non-the-less.

Philip2

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Is this different from the standard shimmy you get from warped rotors, that often develops with time anyway?

I don't do much hard breaking so I assume this is will not be a problem. Do feel a little shimmy when braking downhill (20,000 miles)

I thought we had Brembo brake pads?

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
This was from Yahoo clickbait. we came in as 10th worst car according to AAA. What are they talking about?

Overall score: 63 Reliability score: 2/5
That's a big fall from Car of the Year!

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is this different from the standard shimmy you get from warped rotors, that often develops with time anyway?

I don't do much hard breaking so I assume this is will not be a problem. Do feel a little shimmy when braking downhill (20,000 miles)

I thought we had Brembo brake pads?
In most cases (with all cars) it's not actually warped rotors, that's become a bit of a misnomer, but rather uneven pad deposits on the rotors, as Slip_Angle said. It may be causing that little shimmy you're feeling.
There's a long thread on this forum devoted to this issue. You may want to check it out.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
We have Brembo brakes as in calipers (and possibly rotors). I don't know who Genesis got the pads from, but they've proven (on the G70 and the Stinger) not to be up to the task, unless you have the Dynamic edition or the 6 speed manual, in which case the car came with the much better semi-metallic "Euro" pads. Many of us have switched to these, at our own expense, and have not had any further issues with vibration under braking. There are some cheaper aftermarket pads available now. These are also discussed in the thread I mentioned.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ +1. yup, lots already said about the brake pad issue. just as C&D found with their lightning lap brake failure on the Stinger (same brake components as non-Euro pad G70's), all it takes is swapping in the Euro sport pads (standard on the 6MT and RWD Dynamic trims) to transform the performance capabilities. the calipers and rotors are not the issue. ok, maybe the fluid would need to be swapped for real track duty but that's the case for most cars.

Philip2

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So a probem with brake pads makes us one of the most unrelaible cars?
What do 4 brake pads cost $500?.
Half the time I took my Merceedes in, there was a $1000 repair bill.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ good point. pads are a relatively minor issue overall. and yes, it is an easy and inexpensive resolution. for most people even the stock pads will never be an issue - they'll never drive it hard enough to see the fade that some testers have referred to. the article in question here has no credibility. that's just someone writing from anecdotes. to colour the impressions of the G70 - an otherwise excellent vehicle - based primarily on the brake pads is lazy.

the brake shudder is something that more people will see (still the minority of owners) rather than fade based on light driving and the dreaded pad deposits from ceramic pads not heated up enough during their trips to the grocery store or to drop off little Jimmy at school. my wife had the same thing on her Highlander (OE ceramics) and i had it on my G37S (OE ceramics).

Genesis, and many other manufacturers, chose ceramics because they are quiet, long lasting, no brake dust, satisfy the needs of most average buyers, and have a longer rotor life. they are a compromise pad, not a performance pad. this explains why only the RWD Dynamic and 6MT trims got the Euro pads. these 2 trims were marketed as their 'enthusiast' trims according to the Genesis Canada VP of sales i spoke to at VIP track day event back in 2019.

Genesis figured that for the other volume-selling trims, more owners would care about the aforementioned qualities and they'd complain about brake dust, shorter life and a bit of noise from time to time if the Euro pad was standard across the lineup. i can pretty much guarantee that if Genesis had spec'd Euro pads for all their trims we'd hear the equivalent volume of complaints, except it'd be about the 'downside' of the Euro pads. they were catering to the majority - not enthusiasts who frequent these forums or car magazines.

sidenote: as evidence of most owner's priorities, look to the class action lawsuit against Infiniti back in 2004-2005 when owners complained about the short lifespan (and excessive dust) of G35 brakes. rotors and pads were wearing out too quickly because Infiniti spec'd a performance pad and people were pissed about having to replace parts so soon. i think the outcome was that Infiniti had to pay for all replacements for 3yrs/36k miles. and yeah, i'm sure that pad changed to ceramic. people going to an Asian brand didn't value performance the same as those going to German brands, many of which use semi-metallic pads (which is why you see dirty wheels on BMW/MB/etc). the G35 was a value play, as is the G70 to a certain extent, and Infiniti erred in thinking buyers would be willing to pay the tradeoff for excellent braking.

Last edited:

mikemu30

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
In most cases (with all cars) it's not actually warped rotors, that's become a bit of a misnomer, but rather uneven pad deposits on the rotors, as Slip_Angle said. It may be causing that little shimmy you're feeling.
There's a long thread on this forum devoted to this issue. You may want to check it out.
One good hard braking sometimes cures that.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
One good hard braking sometimes cures that.
I saw a fix in one of the car mags a few years ago. They said to go on an empty road and go 0 to 60 then followed by a hard 60 to 10. Repeat 2 more times as quickly as possible.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It can fix it, at least temporarily, but it usually returns. I gave up on that method with my G70, but it's worth a try.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It can fix it, at least temporarily, but it usually returns. I gave up on that method with my G70, but it's worth a try.
Yup, same on my '09 G37. Finally replaced brakes with a set of Centric rotors and pads, and the problem went away, until I sold it anyway.

chiefsalami

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I saw a fix in one of the car mags a few years ago. They said to go on an empty road and go 0 to 60 then followed by a hard 60 to 10. Repeat 2 more times as quickly as possible.
This is exactly the process to bed in new pads (and rotors). It is always a good recommendation to change rotors along with pads (and not just either pads or rotors), and when you do so, they need to be bedded in, or your braking performance will be dangerously bad. Usually, if you have minor brake unevenness, this will cure it. If it is significant, you need new rotors/pads.

In my experience, the stock pads even on cars that have "performance" brakes, like Brembos, are usually not up to the task. I usually swap out my pads for some aftermarket performance street semi-metallic pads, and it I usually notice a good improvement. Almost always dust much less than stock pads too.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ with the G70 Brembo's, all trims except the RWD Dynamic and the 6MT have ceramic pads which many on here report having issues with uneven pad deposits leading to pulsation. members who have swapped to the OE Euro sport semi-metallic pads (standard on the RWD Dynamic and 6MT trims) have seen this issue go away. no uneven pad deposits and much improved braking performance and fade resistance. similar to what C&D reported with their Lightning Lap brake failure on the ceramics. BUT, the Euro pads do create far more dust than the ceramic pads. so there's that to look forward to...it's not all great news.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ i think everyone is all-ears for alternative options for the OE semi-metallic Euro Sport pads (from the 6MT and RWD Dynamic trims). the Euro pads are muy expensive! we've found a comparable pad compound from Dynamic Friction but waiting to get feedback on how they are. a few other guys have gone with other A/M pads so there are a couple options, but more is better