Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
If you're going to compare the G70 Sport to the G80 Sport, the G70 appears to be around 5K less (based on MSRP). I have the '18 G80 Sport and I'm not going to downgrade, but if I were starting fresh, I might opt for the G70 if there wasn't too much different in front seat/rear seat legroom.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Called 3 dealerships in Northern California and none have the G70 nor do they have any idea when they'll get them. One thought maybe Dec. Embarrassing.
Genesis still has not been licensed to sell in California. Once that happens then the individual dealers need to apply for their licenses. Once approved then the cars should show up in a few weeks to a month.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Patience is a virtue.:grinlaugh:. It will happen when it does.:cheers:

I'm not going to downgrade either at 50K. Not worth it to me.

rbres

Getting familiar with the group...
ca
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Genesis still has not been licensed to sell in California. Once that happens then the individual dealers need to apply for their licenses. Once approved then the cars should show up in a few weeks to a month.
Licensed to sell the G70 specifically? I bought my G80 almost 2 yrs ago - why do they require a new license? Makes no sense. The rollout of the G70 has been executed very poorly.

Don88

Getting familiar with the group...
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
We bought our 2018 G80 in Vancouver, WA but it was trucked up from Hyundai of Roseville CA. It just turned a year old.

We just returned from a celebratory 21st wedding anniversary dinner at Harris Ranch in Coalinga, CA. Most travel resulted at 28.5 miles per gallon but, from Mt. Shasta to Harris Ranch, got 30.5 mpg. Love that V6. (I drive what the sign says. Have to, 'have a LEM plate.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Licensed to sell the G70 specifically? I bought my G80 almost 2 yrs ago - why do they require a new license? Makes no sense. The rollout of the G70 has been executed very poorly.
No, licensed to sell any Genesis product. Genesis is now a separate company so they need to get licensed as a manufacture in each state. Once that is done then they can franchise dealers and then those dealers need to go to the state to get a license. Once all of that is done then they can receive cars and sell them.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If you bought a 2017, it was under license to Hyundai and Genesis. If you bought a 2016 it was a Hyundai alone. If you buy one now it will be licensed under Genesis only, not Hyundai.

California is all screwed up anyway. There are two basic problems with the California legislature; Jerry Brown then and now!! :thankyouspin: Just to show you how much; California legislature passed a law saying, "all corporate boards residing in California rather Internationally owned or not, must have one female member if they are publicly traded." It doesn't matter if it cuts out a more qualified person rather male or female. Now that's really screwed up!

Southern California ought to be allowed to succeed from the Union, like Brown threatened last year!:shake::rip::popcorn:

Last edited:

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Point being? $50k is competitive pricing in that segment. You bought a base model G80 which cannot compare to a fully loaded G70. The base model G70 starts at ~36k.
G80 Sport starts at 55 and goes to 59.5. Sounds like the right spread.
That spread will likely increase to around $6.5k to $7k when the next gen G80 hits the lots.

The G70 has a nicer interior, some aluminum bits, more amenities, etc. which the G80, for the present, doesn't have.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.