• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

G70 US Availability?

AnyVare

Hasn't posted much yet...
VA
With the G70 announced at the NY autoshow and it looks like cars are starting to be delivered in Canada....when you you think the US will see the official launch? I stopped at a dealer last week, and they were clueless about the G70.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm going to guess June. I have no official or unofficial information to support that; just a guess.

- - - Updated - - -

There used to be a guy here on the forums who worked in the docks in Los Angeles, and about a month before vehicles would start arriving at the dealerships, he would start posting pictures before a model was released. He did this with the R-Spec release as well as the DH sedan release. I haven't see anything of the sort yet (which again isn't conclusive of anything).

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
From other stuff I've read (and it was all speculation), I think June may be a bit optimistic. I would expect ads to start showing up a bit in advance of availability. But it's really anybody's guess. It's unfortunate if dealers have no information, and perhaps indicative that the cars' arrival isn't imminent. I would guess that dealerships would have at least several weeks' advance notice prior to G70s showing up on their lots and I would hope and expect that dealership management would work to get the sales force up to speed on the G70 in anticipation of its arrival. My gut tells me we may be looking at Fall before the US versions appear. But my gut has certainly been wrong before. June would be far better, as it would coincide with what I think of as "driving season" -- late spring through mid-summer. That's a time when I think there's the most interest in cars and when sales are most brisk. As people begin to anticipate holiday season expenses and colder weather, I think interest eases off a bit.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Last rumor I heard on this forum was early summer, but Genesis Motors said only the 100 selected Genesis dealers going forward would get 2019 models, and there has apparently been a delay in naming the Genesis dealers.

AnyVare

VA
The US NY Autoshow press release states summer... Summer to me is May - July. Q3 would push it towards late summer and into fall. IMO, not the best timing to launch a new sports/luxary car.

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The US NY Autoshow press release states summer... Summer to me is May - July. Q3 would push it towards late summer and into fall. IMO, not the best timing to launch a new sports/luxary car.
I agree that it's not the best timing. A lot of other makers will have their new models appearing in late summer/early fall and that will dilute the impact of the G70. But for whatever reasons, that seems to be what's happening. It also seems that the US may get fewer perks (like a shorter free service period) than our friends to the north. I don't know what Genesis (or Kia, in the case of the Stinger) is thinking by having fewer features offered in the US than Canadian market but it irks me, I have to say.

I think the G70 will be a very good car when it arrives. If it's a success, I think it will be despite, not because of, the way the company has managed the roll-out. A flurry of initial sales is pretty much a certainty with any new car. I remember the Edsel moving pretty briskly in the first few weeks of its appearance, only to be a complete flop shortly thereafter. Now the G70 is no Edsel, to be sure. But I think the trajectory of sales, with an initial peak followed by a more important long-term trend, is similar across cars. If that long-term trend tanks, pretty much no initial peak will offset it. This car deserves to succeed. And I think it will if Genesis Motors allows it to. If they get greedy or "too clever by half" in their "strategizing," I think things could backfire long term.

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL
G70 has the same perks as the G80 and G90 in the USA.

All Genesis vehicles, including G70, offer an exclusive, no-cost, consumer-focused service program that elevates the luxury vehicle ownership experience. From valet service appointments that can be scheduled using the Genesis mobile app, to complimentary maintenance and Genesis Connected Services, the Genesis Experience delivers owners with market-leading convenience and time savings:

3 years/36,000 miles of complimentary scheduled G70 maintenance
3 years/36,000 miles complimentary Service Valet: Genesis will collect the G70 to service it, and offer a courtesy replacement meanwhile
3 years of complimentary Genesis Connected Services, including Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Destination Search powered by Voice and Remote Start with climate control
3 years of complimentary SiriusXM® Travel Link (Data Services)
3 years of complimentary Annual Multimedia and Navigation Updates
Lifetime complimentary traffic data
Best-in-class warranty with Enhanced Roadside Assistance and Concierge Services, including tire changes or transportation to the nearest Genesis dealership or authorized service facility, and reimbursement for inconvenience

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
They don't "time" a release of a new car. They release it as soon as they can (assuming it is ready to go). They may have made plans for a certain date, but those often get delayed for various reasons. In this case, there are several factors that need to be considered, including the following:

• They need EPA testing and certification
  • They need time to build enough cars to fill the channel, so that all dealers have a sufficient number on hand when they start advertising and selling it. This involves manufacturing, transporting them from Korea to port of entries (various US east coast and west coast ports), going through customs processing, getting window stickers and other distributor prep done, and getting them to dealers.
There may be another delay in that Genesis USA has said that all 2019 models (the G70 is a 2019) will only be sold by the 100 Genesis dealers selected to be authorized dealers going forward. Apparently there is some delay in getting that straightened out with the existing dealer network (some who don't get Genesis dealerships will have to be compensated according to others who have posted on this forum). Someone said they need 75% of the existing 800+ Hyundai dealers to agree to the Genesis dealer plan, and this part may be causing a delay.

But the whole idea that they delay a release date just doesn't happen very often. Real world obstacles and problems almost always determine what happens and when it happens, but they almost always want to get it to market as soon as they can.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Slides

NJ
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Frustrating if you are planning to buy a new G70, but there may be a side benefit. New cars often have little problems that crop up after some miles of driving. The cars sold in other parts of the world are doing the testing and finding the little annoyances, if there are any. By the time we see them in the US, problems should be solved.
Yes, but only applies to major issues that might crop up, which they really shouldn't. Minor issues and annoyances will not be fixed before US launch.

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
They don't "time" a release of a new car. They release it as soon as they can (assuming it is ready to go). They may have made plans for a certain date, but those often get delayed for various reasons. In this case, there are several factors that need to be considered, including the following:

• They need EPA testing and certification
  • They need time to build enough cars to fill the channel, so that all dealers have a sufficient number on hand when they start advertising and selling it. This involves manufacturing, transporting them from Korea to port of entries (various US east coast and west coast ports), going through customs processing, getting window stickers and other distributor prep done, and getting them to dealers.
There may be another delay in that Genesis USA has said that all 2019 models (the G70 is a 2019) will only be sold by the 100 Genesis dealers selected to be authorized dealers going forward. Apparently there is some delay in getting that straightened out with the existing dealer network (some who don't get Genesis dealerships will have to be compensated according to others who have posted on this forum). Someone said they need 75% of the existing 800+ Hyundai dealers to agree to the Genesis dealer plan, and this part may be causing a delay.

But the whole idea that they delay a release date just doesn't happen very often. Real world obstacles and problems almost always determine what happens and when it happens, but they almost always want to get it to market as soon as they can.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they have cars ready to go and are intentionally delaying them. It's more of a case of not having planned for all the contingencies in a way that would optimize the release date. The US is a big market. The idea of the G70 has been in the works for a considerable time. It seems to me that good planning could have gotten all the ducks in a row so as to consider when the best time would be for the car to appear in the US. Big companies do this all the time. A date is set and then they work backwards to determine what phases of the project have to be completed at what times in order to meet that target date. Developing a realistic production and certification schedule is Business 101. It seems to me that Genesis may have taken that approach to ensure that they had a car ready for the New York Auto Show but not ensure that they'd have cars in dealerships at the optimal time. And the whole dealership issue should have been planned forward so that it was essentially resolved by now. And stuff like EPA certification shouldn't be a huge mystery to Genesis. The same drive train is certified for the G80 and Stinger. They've been through the process repeatedly and should have known what the timing would be. It's like filing taxes. If you know when it's due, you get everything in order in time to comply successfully. Needing an extension every year smacks of poor planning. Similarly, the delays in getting into the US market smacks of some poor planning by Genesis. The notion that "we'll get it done when we get it done," seems incredibly amateurish for a car company that wants to become a major player. The product they're working on isn't a huge conceptual departure from what they've done before. And they've gotten it into other markets. At a minimum, it suggests that they haven't prioritized the US market. Either their production and certification schedule was nonexistent (we'll get it done when we get it done), had a poorly timed release target, or they weren't able to hold to it. None of those options really puts Genesis in a very favorable light. And their earlier announcements suggesting a spring arrival (I remember March being tossed around at one time as a likely time frame) seems to support the idea that they couldn't hold to their original target for when the car would appear.

I understand that there can be delays. And it isn't the end of the world that the car may arrive later in the year. But the "stuff happens" notion does little to reassure me. "Stuff" should be planned for. Yes, I'd rather that they get it right than do it fast. But the car is already on the roads in other parts of the world, including Canada. So there shouldn't have been any unexpected surprises as far as issues with the car goes. Production rates and certification schedules seem totally anticipatable, especially in light of their experience with other models in the US.

I realize that I'm making more of this than the issue warrants. But I'm just uneasy with the notion that a major corporation can't plan sufficiently to target the timing of a major new product in arguably its most important market.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
From what I've been told, they are telling dealers they will be released in July. Still working out the whole Genesis dealer network.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
From what I've been told, they are telling dealers they will be released in July. Still working out the whole Genesis dealer network.
This is per Kevin Smith (Genesis Motor America)...I sent him an email last week...

We are indeed in the midst of redefining and rebuilding our US Genesis dealer network, and that takes time, but we expect to begin to have the first of our new Genesis dealers up and running in mid to late June and as soon as we begin to have the new Genesis dealers in business we will begin to wholesale our Model Year 2019 vehicles, including G70, to them for retail to interested customers like yourself.
So...looks like what you were told is in sync. Dealers ready by end of June...dealers start getting allocations, etc after that (July/Aug?)...then for sale to the public (Aug/Sep)? If anything goes wrong...that would push it out to Oct I suppose...just guessing.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I don't think anyone is suggesting that they have cars ready to go and are intentionally delaying them. It's more of a case of not having planned for all the contingencies in a way that would optimize the release date.
Designing, prototyping, testing, setting up manufacturing, manufacturuing a brand new car takes quite a long time. They plan on when it will be done, but like most projects that size and complexity it never finishes exactly when planned. They have tons of stuff to worry about when getting a brand new car to market, and market timing is probably at the bottom of the list of things to worry about.

larrymg1

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
This is per Kevin Smith (Genesis Motor America)...I sent him an email last week...

So...looks like what you were told is in sync. Dealers ready by end of June...dealers start getting allocations, etc after that (July/Aug?)...then for sale to the public (Aug/Sep)? If anything goes wrong...that would push it out to Oct I suppose...just guessing.
Unless sometining has changed in the last few days according to my dealer's Sales Mgr the agreement on new Genesis stores has still not been approved by the dealers.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
When they say getting allocations, I think that means getting the product. There supposedly will only be 100 Genesis dealers for the 2019 models, so once the dealer network is finalized they can ship them to the Genesis dealers. I expect them to be delivered to port of entry before end of June.

But if there is a snafu related to determining the 100 Genesis dealers, then there could be further delay.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless sometining has changed in the last few days according to my dealer's Sales Mgr the agreement on new Genesis stores has still not been approved by the dealers.
Yep, that's why there is a delay until third quarter at the earliest.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums