G80 3.8 L Mods/Changes... (Power increase)

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My new 2018 Stinger 3.3 TT costs $38,140.00 OTD. A little small and sporty, so I got the 2017 Genesis 3.8 to pair with. This is in Honolulu.
Under 40k not bad for highest engine trim. How much did your 3.8 2017 cost ?

Trixie86

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Chicago, Il
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
You could just gotten a slightly used one , with very low miles, personally i just dont know the main reason for get completely new. Slightly used isnt bad at all . That would have gotten you to that 40k i think with the 2018 version or 19 depending..
Unless CPO, no 10 yr warranty.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Unless CPO, no 10 yr warranty.
CPO is perfectly fine , 10 year warranty is a plus but what the chances you keep the car for exactly 10 years. Also its 10years /100 k miles , whichever comes first. If i really wanted a specific trim but also had a budget (40k is a lot money, budget wise) my budget was significantly lower than his. i would have just gotten the 3.3t or 5.0 , slightly used still be under my budget , then get a brand new one and not be very pleased vs if i had gotten what i really wanted. 3.8 L is fine, its good for what it is , it just doesnt have the quick low end torque you would expect on the 3.3 T and 5.0. All the torque from 1500 rpm. The 3.8 L isnt slow neither is it particularly fast , its a perfect balance power to weight ratio. No doubt the 3.3T and the 5.0 L v8 is more fun.. though. If my budget was little more , i would gotten the 3.3T due to better fuel economy than the 5.0.

Trixie86

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Chicago, Il
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
CPO is perfectly fine , 10 year warranty is a plus but what the chances you keep the car for exactly 10 years. Also its 10years /100 k miles , whichever comes first. If i really wanted a specific trim but also had a budget (40k is a lot money, budget wise) my budget was significantly lower than his. i would have just gotten the 3.3t or 5.0 , slightly used still be under my budget , then get a brand new one and not be very pleased vs if i had gotten what i really wanted. 3.8 L is fine, its good for what it is , it just doesnt have the quick low end torque you would expect on the 3.3 T and 5.0. All the torque from 1500 rpm. The 3.8 L isnt slow neither is it particularly fast , its a perfect balance power to weight ratio. No doubt the 3.3T and the 5.0 L v8 is more fun.. though. If my budget was little more , i would gotten the 3.3T due to better fuel economy than the 5.0.
Just replying to your inquiry "main reasons" for completely new. Btw, I average 6k miles a year and still have my 2011 Acura Tl.

HawaiiPD

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Under 40k not bad for highest engine trim. How much did your 3.8 2017 cost ?
I bought the 2017 G80 in August of 2020 for 23K OTD, it had 27K miles, no scratches, and the DOT tire dates were 26th week of 2019, so about
one year old set of 4 tires. First day I changed the main battery, remote batteries, engine oil, filter, air filters, cabin air filter, radiator cap, main drive belt, and wiper blades.
1,800 miles later and no problems ever encountered Ran an OBD II check and no stored codes.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I bought the 2017 G80 in August of 2020 for 23K OTD, it had 27K miles, no scratches, and the DOT tire dates were 26th week of 2019, so about
one year old set of 4 tires. First day I changed the main battery, remote batteries, engine oil, filter, air filters, cabin air filter, radiator cap, main drive belt, and wiper blades.
1,800 miles later and no problems ever encountered Ran an OBD II check and no stored codes.
23 OTD ? No bad , base or premium package? I can understand the filter changes and oil changes but why did you change the radiator cap, and main drive belt right away , whats the main reason behind those two changes & wiper blades ?

HawaiiPD

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I think it is the base model.
Both radiator cap and drive belt only takes a few minutes to change. The drive belt only powers the water pump (top), alternator (R/bottom), and the A/C compressor (L/bottom), and the tensioner pulley. Radiator cap is the weak link in the cooling system and a thrown belt will put you on the side of the road. Not happening to me if I can do anything to prevent that, is my opinion. Spares and tools are with each car we drive.

The wiper blades changed because the car sat in a car lot for 140 days out doors in the dust and rain. The sun killed the wiper blades. Being unsold for so long, I made them an offer. Original price was 29K.

The parts were cheap and labor is free. I am retired, so I work on mine and friends cars for fun gives me a sense of accomplishment at the end of a day. I do drive belts and brakes in their Honda Accord, Civic, Toyota Tacomas, Camrys/Avalons. On a Tacoma, I can change the drive belt in under 1 minute.

Belts $15-$25, radiator cap $3.00, wiper blades $20/pair. Cheap insurance to replace.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums