G80 3.8 with Sport Package

cubsfannc

First off hello to other forum members. Been lurking and reading a lot of the great posts on here to find out more about the Genesis cars. So thanks for all of the info guys/gals...... And hope this topic is not being discussed in a thread already on here - me being new and all.....

It seems in 2019 they have released G80 3.8 models with a set up called Sport Package. They have the external looks of the 3.3t Sport - but not the engine of the 3.3t set up. So they have the same great looks as the Sports - just not the additional hp the 3.3t set up brings.

Now I came to find out about this since my local dealer had one set up like this - and has recently got in 2 or 3 more. I even test drove one. Have yet to drive the 3.3t - but wondered what other forum member thought of this set up. Or the 3.8 versus the 3.3t if anyone has driven both.

I certainly like the looks of the Sport - and would lean toward the 3.3t. But the 3.8 with Sport Package have the looks and the lower MRSP too. Although it seems there really is not any great offers going at the dealers currently for any of the versions.

Would love any members comments on what they think or have seen about this set up.

Last edited:

Thee12nv

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
First off hello to other forum members. Been lurking and reading a lot of the great posts on here to find out more about the Genesis cars. So thanks for all of the info guys/gals...... And hope this topic is not being discussed in a thread already on here - me being new and all.....

It seems in 2019 they have released G80 3.8 models with a set up called Sport Package. They have the external looks of the 3.3t Sport - but not the engine of the 3.3t set up. So they have the same great looks as the Sports - just not the additional hp the 3.3t set up brings.

Now I came to find out about this since my local dealer had one set up like this - and has recently got in 2 or 3 more. I even test drove one. Have yet to drive the 3.3t - but wondered what other forum member though of this set up. Or the 3.8 versus the 3.3t if anyone has driven both.

I certainly like the looks of the Sport - and would lean toward the 3.3t. But the 3.8 with Sport Package have the looks and the lower MRSP too. Although it seems there really is not any great offers going at the dealers currently for any of the versions.

Would love any members comments on what they think or have seen about this set up.
Good post, I've wondered about this as well. Given the lower price, I have been looking at the 3.8 with the sport package. Interested to hear from others who have compared both.

silberma

Been here awhile...
Palm Beach, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The 3.8 engine has plenty of power. If you are going to keep your car for a long time stay away from turbo's have issues long term and they require more maintenance, at least that is my experience with BMW's.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Now I came to find out about this since my local dealer had one set up like this - and has recently got in 2 or 3 more. I even test drove one. Have yet to drive the 3.3t - but wondered what other forum member thought of this set up. Or the 3.8 versus the 3.3t if anyone has driven both.

Quite a few ways to look at it. If I was under 30, maybe even 40, there is no question I'd go for the turbo. I'm well past that now and can still hit triple digits and cruise for miles at 80 mph with the 3.8

I don't street race any more and the 3.8 really has decent performance. With about 60,000 miles in two different Genesis, I don't ever wish I had the bigger engine. Sure, it would be fun, but costly fun for the little it would be utilized.

Cost is a factor. If going for the turbo means the kids won't have lunch any more, well, sorry kids. OTOH, if it means your savings account will lose 12 cents interest, not a big deal.

Looking at the overall value, most of us have a top end budget on a car. If it means getting a Genesis 3.8 for the same price as a lesser car with larger engine, the Genny will bring you more satisfaction driving it every day.

idlemind

Hasn't posted much yet...
Texas
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I was actually looking for the G80 Sport in a 3.8. I never saw that option on their website.

LD5050

Zorg Industries
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I test drove both and after experiencing the 3.3T I couldn’t be happy with the 3.8, but that’s just me.
My last car was a ‘12 GT500, so it goes without saying I have a taste for speed.
But price can be a huge deciding factor, and there’s a chunk of change to be saved going with the 3.8 for sure.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The 2018 G80 3.3TT Sport was a model. In 2019 they added "Sport" as a trim level for the G80 3.8. This trim level is mostly the cosmetic and some of the convenience features in the 3.3TT and 5.0 model (no 3.3TT engine, dynamic suspension etc.).

donnykidd

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
As a 3.3T Sport owner I appreciate all of the interior and exterior amenities it offers. Not a day goes by when I don’t thank the d-bag sales person for screwing up my 2017 ultimate deal otherwise I wouldn't have my 18 Sport. It’s hard to see any value in the sport package. All fluff with no substance. The 2018 middle package option offered more value at less operational cost. Staggered tires being one.

cubsfannc

As a 3.3T Sport owner I appreciate all of the interior and exterior amenities it offers. Not a day goes by when I don’t thank the d-bag sales person for screwing up my 2017 ultimate deal otherwise I wouldn't have my 18 Sport. It’s hard to see any value in the sport package. All fluff with no substance. The 2018 middle package option offered more value at less operational cost. Staggered tires being one.
What color and interior is your 18 Sport? And did you think you got a good deal? I assume better than the screwed up 17 Ultimate one........

donnykidd

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
What color and interior is your 18 Sport? And did you think you got a good deal? I assume better than the screwed up 17 Ultimate one........
Himalayan Grey with Black interior. Difficult comparing the two with the 2017 having almost 5k less sticker. I feel my deal on this car was exceptional. Patience & timing are a virtrue.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I bought the sport because of the exterior, and more because of the interior looks, I prefer the carbon fiber over the wood look.

the 3.3T is ok, I would have preferred a 5.0 V8, the 3.3T has power, but it sounds like a turbo v6,

I've only ever owned cars with V8 motors and in a car as big as the G80 as it is a touring sedan it should have a big displacement V8..

Last edited:

cubsfannc

I bought the sport because of the exterior, and more because of the interior looks, I prefer the carbon fiber over the wood look.

the 3.3T is ok, I would have preferred a 5.0 V8, the 3.3T has power, but it sounds like a turbo v6,

I've only ever owned cars with V8 motors and in a car as big as the G80 as it is a touring sedan it should have a big displacement V8..
What is your color and interior on your sport?

cbet25

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I was looking at this too before getting an 18 3.3T. I don’t think it’s possible to get the bigger nav display in the 3.8 Sport which is one reason I passed.

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I was just on the Genesis website and it appears that the G80 Sport with the 3.8 engine and the G80 Sport with the 3.2T are either exactly the same price or very close IF the 3.8 Sport comes with the Ultimate package. Unclear if the 3.8 Sport has the same grill as the G80 3.2T Sport.

I purchased the '18 Sport, but if I had it to do over, I might be inclined to take the 3.8 model in the Sport package. I did drive an '18 3.8 model and thought it had all the power I wanted. I do remember the '18 G80 3.8 was very close to the Sport model in price IF it included the 2 upgrade packages. I certainly would have gone that route if the '18 G80 3.8 didn't have the staggered wheel setup.

I get that the staggered wheel setup might be better snaking around mountain curved roads with the throttle mashed, but I have no interest in that kind of driving anymore. No Pikes Peak climbs for me. All comparsions above were with the AWD models.

Genesisimo

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

My previous Genny was a 2016 Tech 3.8 RWD. A classy and quick ride in Empire State Gray and black interior. In principle, I would have been interested in the 3.8 RWD with Sport trim for the mechanical simplicity and possibly lower price point. Yet when my lease ended, Genesis dealers were just coming on line and stock was limited. Also, I had access to a corporate discount program for a limited time. So I needed to move fast.

A moderately distant dealer had a 2019 G80 Sport 3.3T in Siberian Ice with gray interior. Perfect for me. And they agreed to the deal by phone! So I effectively bought it sight unseen. Good move.

I have come to appreciate the extra HP and all the great tech goodies such as big nav screen, killer stereo, head up display, etc. So I am now totally spoiled. This baby is a head-turner and a pleasure to drive. And if you mash the gas pedal sparingly, the real world MPG is about equal to the 3.8 IME/IMO. YMMV.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

donnykidd

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Himalayan Grey with Black interior. Difficult comparing the two with the 2017 having almost 5k less sticker. I
You can't get the Ultimate and Sport package on the same car according to the Build, it is either one or the other.

I’m dropping off my car for service and notice a G80 on the floor. What I find interesting is needing the sport package for the Ultimate package yet the items on the sport package are not on the actual car. Paying for sport wheels and grill not having either. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments