• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

G80 is a master piece and clearly rips off the rivals.

KANE

Registered Member
G80 is the best of all Genesis made till now. The front looks awesome. The rear reminds of Audi A7. Million times better than A7

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
I don't think "masterpiece" and "rip-off" can be used simultaneously to describe one item.
That's like almost every Disney animated movie... lol... They built their empire by ripping off classic children's stories. For a long time, I thought The Lion King was an original story but turns out, that was ripped off too. Nothing wrong with it and if you do it better than anyone else, people will forget about the original.

KANE

Registered Member
That's like almost every Disney animated movie... lol... They built their empire by ripping off classic children's stories. For a long time, I thought The Lion King was an original story but turns out, that was ripped off too. Nothing wrong with it and if you do it better than anyone else, people will forget about the original.
I would call that a splendid innovation

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...
Please define or differentiate between "rip-off" and "inspired by"!

I'm seeing most of the auto industry going down a homogeneous path of design inspiration with little evolution or redefinition of standards.

The large grill trend started around 2010-2012 and nearly every auto copied with larger and large grills. Today look at Lexus, Toyota Avalon, Acura, and Infinti all have large grills and typically are conservative vehicles. I mean look at the Avalon grill it's rediculous!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...
I became interested in cars in the 1950s. Back then it was fins, today it is big grills. Copying has been going on as long as the automobile. Every auto maker has taken ideas from others.

Body style has changed a bit when the wind tunnel became part of the styling process. That brought more similarities as the physics applies to everyone. My office window looked out over the office parking lot. When you looked at segments of a car, such as headlight, roof lines, rear windows, it is amazing how close they would be and this was among a group of cars from US, Japan, Germany, Korea.

I'm not a fan of big grills but maybe the 2025 model will be back to big fins like the '59 Caddy.
Agreed possibly in time maybe we'll change our perspective on grilles. Subjectively I find the design of the 50's chrome and large finds to be beautiful. The Caddy's & Ford's of that era are very unique and expensive looking. Some of the current grills look fine & even nice at a point (Bentley / RR) but the Lexus spindle and the like are just cheap and garish. I guess we'll see in the future.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Cls is the original of this kind of fastback 4 door style, then same can be said about the A7 is rip off of the Cls. 🥶
The CLS is more of a 4-door coupe than a fastback design, and there have been 4-door coupe and fastback designs way before the CLS and A7.

I'm seeing most of the auto industry going down a homogeneous path of design inspiration with little evolution or redefinition of standards.

The large grill trend started around 2010-2012 and nearly every auto copied with larger and large grills. Today look at Lexus, Toyota Avalon, Acura, and Infinti all have large grills and typically are conservative vehicles. I mean look at the Avalon grill it's rediculous!
Large grilles have been around since the advent of the automobile, and they never totally went away (being reserved for the uber-lux class - Rolls, Bentley).

Audi and Chrysler (300) were the ones who brought large grilles back to the more pedestrian classes of automobiles (there's a reason why the 300 was referred to as the poor man's Bentley).

Aside from having a pentagonal grille shape, really don't see too much of the G80 ripping off anyone.

Genesis had to abandon the hexagonal grille shape due to Hyundai keeping to it (arguably, Hyundai originated the over-sized hexagonal grille - doing so before Audi and a whole bunch of others), which left pentagonal w/o resorting to something ridiculous like octagonal (which both Audi and Ford have done on a few models to distinguish them from the rest of their respective lineups which us hexa-grilles).

Cadillac, Mazda and Acura have all used pentagonal-shaped grilles, so Genesis just abandoned one crowd for another.

If anything, it'll be one of the more distinctive sedans out there.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
G80 is the best of all Genesis made till now. The front looks awesome. The rear reminds of Audi A7. Million times better than A7
This may be the most vague and meaningless post of the year. Perhaps vapid is a better term. Well done! But I digress. 🤣

Last edited:

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I don't think "masterpiece" and "rip-off" can be used simultaneously to describe one item.
Well, yes the terms can be used to describe the Genesis. Hyundai appears to have duplicated the best qualities of a few other car makes and seamlessly merged them together in a sleek beautiful well appointed automobile known as the Genesis; which is a skillfully designed masterpiece in form and function.

Last edited:

leggy

Been here awhile...
SoCal
Hyundai appears to have duplicated the best qualities of a few other car makes and seamlessly merged them together in a sleek beautiful well appointed automobile known as the Genesis.
Care to elaborate further and cite examples? Also, is there specific genesis model and model year you are referring to?

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Care to elaborate further and cite examples? Also, is there specific genesis model and model year you are referring to?
You seem like a smart guy or gal, figure it out.:)

Keyword is "appears" that the Genesis sedan had some qualities that may have been replicated or inspired from other automotive makes based on my personal observation. I only cite facts, which i do not have for this personal observation.

Last edited:

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)

Keyword is "appears" that the Genesis sedan had some qualities that may have been replicated or inspired from other automotive makes based on my personal observation. I only cite facts, which i do not have for this personal observation.
Not even you can save this sorry thread. Sorry.

leggy

Been here awhile...
SoCal

If you can't backup your claim then don't spreads FUDs.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
If you can't backup your claim then don't spreads FUDs.
Calm down. Are you working for Hyundai? I love my Genesis, so I am not complaining on how they design the car or what models they benchmark to make it. Many automakers seem to copy or borrow proven ideals and design cues from each other in some form or fashion while adding their own unique touch to make their cars standout in my opinion.

Note: What is FUD?

Last edited:

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Not even you can save this sorry thread. Sorry.
You are probably right.

However, I could not resist trying to play the devil's advocate to this thread. Rip-off is a strong term to use I admit, however Hyundai did tasteful implemented a few design cues that resemble other makes such as the front grill design on the 2015+ Genesis/G80 models and tail light design. I also believe the ex-Audi employee who helped designed the 2015-2020 Genesis /G80 may have passed on some of the Audi secret sauce as my 2015 5.0 does seem to ride very similar to a few 2012-2014 A6/A8 models I have driven in the past.

My Korean designed Genesis does ride very European like.:)

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums