G80 Resale Value.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Back in 2017, an article was posted about how the G80 would have a much better, than average, resale value. Fast forward to today and that doesn't seem to be the case. I monitor G80's as used cars, at Chicago area dealers. Carguru is a good place to check. A Chicago area dealer, had a 2018 G80 3.8 AWD with 4700 miles for sale, It first went on sale some 98 days ago at $44,000. Now, some 98 days later and it is still unsold, it has a price of $34,000. Sticker would have been around $51k seems like a huge drop in value. I have no interest, right now, in selling or trading my car but it seems like buying interest in the car, is way down.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Back in 2017, an article was posted about how the G80 would have a much better, than average, resale value. Fast forward to today and that doesn't seem to be the case. I monitor G80's as used cars, at Chicago area dealers. Carguru is a good place to check. A Chicago area dealer, had a 2018 G80 3.8 AWD with 4700 miles for sale, It first went on sale some 98 days ago at $44,000. Now, some 98 days later and it is still unsold, it has a price of $34,000. Sticker would have been around $51k seems like a huge drop in value. I have no interest, right now, in selling or trading my car but it seems like buying interest in the car, is way down.
With the low miles, that is a damned good price. My 2018 Ultimate stickered at $55,555 and could be bought for about $50k. If you can get one barely used in the 30s I think it would be snatched easily. I guess not.

silberma

Been here awhile...
Palm Beach, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
People have not yet valued the Genesis for what it is. Best value in the entry into luxury cars, however, it does not have the prestige of a BMW or Mercedes that are in the same price range.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
With the low miles, that is a damned good price. My 2018 Ultimate stickered at $55,555 and could be bought for about $50k. If you can get one barely used in the 30s I think it would be snatched easily. I guess not.
That is what I thought too. I am not sure the car at the dealer was an Ultimate, it didn't say that, It was AWD.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

QuikZ06

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Bought my 17 G80 5.0 Ultimate for $35k with just under 5k miles on it. Still got the full warranty etc as it had never been registered. The owner of the dealership was driving it and I’m the first registered owner. They were asking like $48k with 3k miles and then dropped it to $38k. I thought it was a good deal and was happy to get out of my 16 Accord Touring.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Bought my 17 G80 5.0 Ultimate for $35k with just under 5k miles on it. Still got the full warranty etc as it had never been registered. The owner of the dealership was driving it and I’m the first registered owner. They were asking like $48k with 3k miles and then dropped it to $38k. I thought it was a good deal and was happy to get out of my 16 Accord Touring.
When did you buy it?

ewang

Hasn't posted much yet...
WI
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Was this advertised on Car Gurus?

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Lux sedans pretty much across the board are having issues w/ resale value.

That being said, Genesis has ways to go, but should improve over the years as the brand strengthens.

Would say, however, that Genesis' depreciation curve moderates over a longer time period, whereas for the German brands, depreciation gets worse once you get out of the warranty period (hence, why models like the S Class and 7er can be picked up for a fraction out of warranty).

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Lux sedans pretty much across the board are having issues w/ resale value.

That being said, Genesis has ways to go and should improve over the years as the brand strengthens.

Would say, however, that Genesis' depreciation curve moderates over a longer time period, whereas for the German brands, depreciation gets worse once get out of the warranty period (hence, why models like the S Class and 7er can be picked up for a fraction out of warranty).
Interesting, thanks.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Interesting article showing that ultra-lux models have been losing their value.

Doesn't hold true, tho, for special/in-demand models.

Also, the uber-wealthy are getting the ultra-lux manufacturers to build them one-off designs/vehicles (which they, often have a hand in designing).

Shows how crazy rich the wealthiest people in the world have become.

Last edited:

QuikZ06

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You got a good deal for sure. The 2018 5.0 Ultimate, stickered close to 60k. I should ask if you live in Michigan. Back in 2017-2018 there were some fantastic deals in Michigan.
Yea I thought it was a good deal. I’m actually in California. Was originally looking at an awd Lincoln Continental but once that deal fell through, I went with the Genesis.