G80 Sport 3.3tt Maintenance Schedule

allan

Registered Member
NJ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The maintenance schedule for my 2016 G80 Ultimate 3.8 was clearly spelled out in the manual. For my type of driving (Northeast US, mostly highway): initial service at 3750 miles, second at 7500, then every additional 7500. The instructions for my new 2018 3.3tt are not quite so clear. I've seen everything from every 3,000 to every 6,000 to every 10,000.

Spoke with the service manager at my dealership and candidly he was also not 100% sure. After checking around he finally suggested I follow the same schedule as I did for the 3.8 liter engine (described above). Just wondering what others are doing.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I don't have the 2018 owners manual, but I do recall others have said that the oil change interval for the TT is different than the other engines. In any case, I would make sure that a full synthetic is used, which is very important for any turbo engine (which operates at higher temps than regular engines). This may present an "issue" if you are trying to take advantage of the free scheduled maintenance during first few years.

Looking at the G90 Quick Start Guide, it says the following:

Engine Oil & Filter
  • 5.0 GDI - Replace 7,500 or 12 mos. Severe conditions - Replace 3,750 or 6 mos.
  • 3.3 T-GDI - Replace 6,000 or 6 mos. Severe conditions - Replace 3,000 or 6 mos

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
One other difference in maintenance for the 3.3 T according to 2017 G90 Quick Start Guide:

Spark Plugs
  • 5.0 GDI - Replace 105,000. Severe conditions - Replace More Frequently
  • 3.3 T-GDI - Replace 45,000. Severe conditions - Replace More Frequently

allan

Registered Member
NJ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thanks guys, but that wasn't my question :)

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had my first change at 4000. A little over the 3500 the dealer initially set but I had a trip for work. I will be doing mine around every 3750 to 4000 miles with full synthetic. I did have to pay the difference for the oil at the dealership since they were going to use a synthetic blend.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The 2018 manual is very clear:

- Normal maintenance for the 3.8 GDI and 5.0 GDI engines is every 7,500 miles for oil and oil filter changes. There is no "initial" oil and oil filter change at 3,750 miles.
- Severe usage maintenance for the 3.8 GDI and 5.0 GDI engines is every 3,750 miles for oil and oil filter changes.

- Normal maintenance for the 3.3 T-GDI engine is every 6,000 miles for oil and oil filter changes.
- Severe usage maintenance for the 3.3 T-GDI engine is every 3,000 miles for oil and oil filter changes.

Simple as that.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks guys, but that wasn't my question :)
So your question is that you are wondering what others are doing? I don't actually see a question mark in your original post.

Since you car is under warranty, I suggest that you follow (or exceed) the oil change interval in the manuals, and not rely on what others are doing.

Personally, I would always use a full synthetic oil for any Turbo engine, which operate at higher temps than regular engines. Others have said that the motor oil specification from Genesis Motors for the 3.3T requires at least a synthetic blend, even though they don't use those terms (but is more clear if you look at the oil certifications required for the 3.3 turbo in the manual, as discussed in detail in another thread).

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The 2018 manual is very clear:

- Normal maintenance for the 3.8 GDI and 5.0 GDI engines is every 7,500 miles for oil and oil filter changes. There is no "initial" oil and oil filter change at 3,750 miles.
- Severe usage maintenance for the 3.8 GDI and 5.0 GDI engines is every 3,750 miles for oil and oil filter changes.

- Normal maintenance for the 3.3 T-GDI engine is every 6,000 miles for oil and oil filter changes.
- Severe usage maintenance for the 3.3 T-GDI engine is every 3,000 miles for oil and oil filter changes.

Simple as that.
Yep. Same as the G90 3.3T, since it is the same engine as used in the G80 3.3T.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My first oil change was set to 3750 and I just check the setting after the oil change and my dealer set mine at 3700 miles.

Johnboy2k10

Registered Member
Spruce Grove, AB
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The manual suggests 12,500km. I’m getting it done at 10,000km. Why would I not trust that?

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My dealer also told me every 10,000km which is a bit over 6,000 miles. So far they've done an oil change.

Does your dealer also clean your car when in for service? Mine did as they promised it on the first visit due to an issue on delivery but not sure if they will (actually they probably won't) in the future.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My dealer also told me every 10,000km which is a bit over 6,000 miles. So far they've done an oil change.

Does your dealer also clean your car when in for service? Mine did as they promised it on the first visit due to an issue on delivery but not sure if they will (actually they probably won't) in the future.
Bought my first Sonata in 2006. I've since had 5 Hyundai/Genesis products and just moved so changed to a third dealer. Every dealer cleaned the car every time. Not just cleaned, but CLEANED! If they don't do it, complain.

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Bought my first Sonata in 2006. I've since had 5 Hyundai/Genesis products and just moved so changed to a third dealer. Every dealer cleaned the car every time. Not just cleaned, but CLEANED! If they don't do it, complain.
My wife has a Sonata and I had traded in a Sonata. My dealer never cleaned either car other than what looked like they sprayed the car down with water (car would be dirty and have water spots all over). Guess my dealer either sucks or in Canada they don't clean it properly.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The maintenance schedule for the 2018 G80 Sport (Lambda 3.3 T-GDI) is documented on pages 7-16 -> 7-20 of the Owners Manual.
The 2018 G80 Manuals are available here on the owners.genesis.com website without an account/login.

The "Normal" maintenance schedule for this vehicle specifies every 6K miles / 10K kilometers.
Severe Usage conditions specify "More frequently". WTF!?! - How many miles/kilometers = "More Frequently" ;).

I have/will do my own oil changes every 5K miles (Mobile 1 Full Synthetic 5w/30 with NAPA Gold oil filter).
Other than oil/filter changes, I take to the dealer every 6K miles for the "free" maintenance until it expires (3 years / 36K miles I believe). For the first 36K miles this maintenance is mostly inspection, oil/filter change, filter (cabin and engine) change and tire rotation. Subsequently I'll do most of the work myself every 5K miles as it's easier to remember than 6K and I want to give "my girl Victoria" better service.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
When I log into my Genesis owners app to start my car the app tells me how many miles I have and what they recommend oil changes are based on my driving habits. My car was driven by the General Manager for the first 3500 miles of its life and it says that I should change my oil ever 3000 miles. I wonder if the GM drove the crap out of this car. I can tell you that it runs really smooth and fast. since the changes are free the first 3 years I don't mind having it done every 3000. I was surprised that the 3.3tt takes 8 qts of oil.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I was surprised that the 3.3tt takes 8 qts of oil.
I was also surprised that the 2018 G80 3.3TT take 8 quarts of oil. I hypothesize this additional oil is needed because the turbo chargers are lubricated by the same engine oil. My 2011 Genesis 3.8 took 6 quarts. I typically buy Mobil 1 5w/30 oil in 5 qt containers at WalMart. The cost of 1qt containers is considerably higher. It's cheaper per quart to buy 2x5qts ($26.88USD each) versus 1x5qt + 3x1qts ($8.50USD each). WTF ?!?

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I was also surprised that the 2018 G80 3.3TT take 8 quarts of oil. I hypothesize this additional oil is needed because the turbo chargers are lubricated by the same engine oil. My 2011 Genesis 3.8 took 6 quarts. I typically buy Mobil 1 5w/30 oil in 5 qt containers at WalMart. The cost of 1qt containers is considerably higher. It's cheaper per quart to buy 2x5qts ($26.88USD each) versus 1x5qt + 3x1qts ($8.50USD each). WTF ?!?
Pg 8-6 of the owners manual says 7.29 US quarts, I put in 7.5 of Mobil 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE 5w30 (love my 3.3t more). Two jugs good for two changes.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I change oil filter and drain as much oil out as possible on my 2018 G80 3.3TT. A typical refill takes me 7.7 qts. This is at the full mark on the dipstick 5 minutes after turning off a fully warmed up engine. I check oil level at every fueling.

What is the difference between Mobile 1 Extended Performance and regular Mobil 1, besides extended oil interval (15K)? Specifically, the difference in the oil contents? Looking at the Mobil 1 5w/30 specifications there is no difference other than guarantee and higher price for Extended Performance.

I am not interested in extended oil change interval because my oil change interval is every 5K miles. My belief is to get the crap/gunk built up in the oil out of the engine more frequently.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.