G80 Sport 3.3tt Maintenance Schedule

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm also going to end up on 5k mile interval also, maybe my dipstick is longer than yours(there's a joke in there somewhere) but 7.5 qt tops my engine off.
Mobil 1 propaganda basically says the extend performance has a more robust additive package that would let you go longer on your oil changes. It's only a buck or 2 more than the regular so I get it just to make myself feel good.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm also going to end up on 5k mile interval also, maybe my dipstick is longer than yours(there's a joke in there somewhere) but 7.5 qt tops my engine off.
Mobil 1 propaganda basically says the extend performance has a more robust additive package that would let you go longer on your oil changes. It's only a buck or 2 more than the regular so I get it just to make myself feel good.
Funny or you're a bigger dipstick than me ;)
If there is a benefit to a more robust additive package, I'd consider trying the Extended Mileage version of Mobil 1 5/30 for the minimal additional small cost.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Funny or you're a bigger dipstick than me ;)
If there is a benefit to a more robust additive package, I'd consider trying the Extended Mileage version of Mobil 1 5/30 for the minimal additional small cost.
lol, I've Been Called Much Worse.
Mobil 1 is good stuff, proven to me with over million miles accumulated cars and bikes with no oil related problems.

Last edited:

allan

Registered Member
NJ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My dealer recommended synthetic oil ONLY if I was somehow putting extensive wear & tear on the engine. He said that for normal driving they do not see any need for synthetic oil.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

allan

Registered Member
NJ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Well, I guess "better" is subjective. I was more than willing to have them use synthetic but the service manager suggested not to. He has no skin in the game either way, so I'll take him at his word. BTW, this is the least expensive car I've owned in many years and I never used synthetic oil in the LS 400's, Jag VDP, or Infiniti's and never had any problems.

Not looking to start an argument, just sayin' :)

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The dealer or any oil change place doesn't have your best interest in mind. To improve their profits/margin, they will use the least expensive oil that meets manufacture's requirements. They are reimbursed by the manufacturer (Hyundai/Genesis) for included maintenance (most likely a fixed/flat rate not actual cost) and warranty claims.

Engine oil is the lifeblood of an engine. I use the "best" oils possible (IMO) and change it every 5K miles, exceeding manufactures recommendation for every vehicle I've ever owned. I used regular non-synthetic "dinosaur" oil (Castrol GTX 5w20or30) for many years without issue. When the price of full-synthetic oil became reasonable (+$10 USD over dino oil) I started using full-syn on all of my vehicles (even my lawn mower ;)).

Use of full-syn versus dino oil in a turbo charged engine (i.e. 2018 G80 Sport) provides additional protection. The turbos use the engine oil for lubrication/cooling and the temperatures/pressures in a turbo-charged engine put more stress on the engine. At a minimum follow the manufacturers requirements. For the 2018 G80 Sport the Owner’s Manual (Page 8-6 and 8-7) "recommends" SAE 5W/30 ACEA A5 Certified. There are dino and full-syn oils that meet this standard.

I am willing to pay +$10USD per oil change for full-syn (Mobile 1 5w30) as it provides me additional insurance/peace of mind.

Last edited:

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Not sure of ANY conventional motor oils that meets the REQUIRED ACEA A5 classification for the 3.3T .

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Not sure of ANY conventional motor oils that meets the REQUIRED ACEA A5 classification for the 3.3T .
A quick/incomplete search indicates a conventional "dino" oil that meets ACEA A5 is
Castrol GTX 5/30
SPECIFICATIONS
ACEA A5/B5
API SL

Per "Mobil website".....
Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
API SN, SM, SL, SJ, SN PLUS, SN PLUS RESOURCE CONSERVING
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C946-A
Ford WSS-M2C946-B1

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
A quick/incomplete search indicates a conventional "dino" oil that meets ACEA A5 is
Castrol GTX 5/30
SPECIFICATIONS
ACEA A5/B5
API SL

Per "Mobil website".....
Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
API SN, SM, SL, SJ, SN PLUS, SN PLUS RESOURCE CONSERVING
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C946-A
Ford WSS-M2C946-B1
Castrol doesn't offer 5w30 GTX in the USA or any acea a5 dino oil. According to their US Web site.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Castrol doesn't offer 5w30 GTX in the USA or any acea a5 dino oil. According to their US Web site.
Interesting. After doing some research I found no U.S. available conventional oils that meet ACEA A5 standard.

ACEA is a European standards/governing body. Motor oil producers probably chose not to get this certification for products they only sell in the U.S. I suspect the conventional oil sold in the U.S. is different then what is sold overseas (U.S. EPA regulations ?). The same oils sold worldwide (e.g. Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/w30) got certified for the European market, but are sold in the U.S.

shoelessj

Getting familiar with the group...
I am willing to pay +$10USD per oil change for full-syn (Mobile 1 5w30) as it provides me additional insurance/peace of mind.
I agree with most of your comments on full synthetics. I use it on all my vehicles and even lawn tractors snowblowers now. I got good at buying syn oils with coupons etc. and paying next to nothing for it (see BobtheOilguy forum for current deals and oil and filter discussions- this site takes oil 'discussion' to an extreme)
That said, on my Genesis Sport the dealer wanted something like 80 bucks plus for synthetic which is ridiculous considering standard OC at no cost. With my highway driving and the Genesis healthy drive train warranty (plus this is a leased company car) I will forgo full synthetics and stick with a 6500-7500 mile change cycle with the partial syn. The fact that there are 8 quarts gives me some additional assurance.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Had my oil changed last week at around the 3000 mile mark as the MyGenesis web site suggested. It is also suggesting that I have it changed at the 3000 mark next time. The dealers sticker on my car says 5000 miles for the next change. I don't drive it hard. Dealer's paperwork said they put in 6 Qts of Quaker State 5W30 did not say anything about it being synthetic or a synthetic blend. This might just be what the person at the desk wrote. (Still I'm going to check the oil level tomorrow. ) I will most likely use the dealer for changes as long as they are free and switch to the oil of my choice when I start paying for them. Also I think the 5000 mile interval is fine. My last car, a Honda Accord went 7500 miles between changes and never used any oil at all.)

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The Genesis Owner web site should be telling you the service interval is 6,000 miles, so you might want to check on that to make sure your driving habits are set up correctly. 6,000 miles between oil changes is the manufacturer's timeline so that's what you should use, not the dealership's recommendation.

Speeder

Registered Member
Quinton, NJ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The Genesis Owner web site should be telling you the service interval is 6,000 miles, so you might want to check on that to make sure your driving habits are set up correctly. 6,000 miles between oil changes is the manufacturer's timeline so that's what you should use, not the dealership's recommendation.
MyGenesis also had me flagged for the 3000 mile Service interval. I'm only 7 miles from my work so I checked the box for "Repeated short distance driving (less than 5-10 miles)" and, being in the northeast, I also checked the box for "driving in areas that use salt or other corrosives". Either of those conditions will cause the Service interval to drop to every 3000 miles. Will be discussing this with my Dealer this week as they are questioning my reason for scheduling service at 3000 miles.

The 3000 initial service is an oil/filter change and drive shaft inspections.

Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.