G80 (Sport) dash cam install

four

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Thread starter #1
I just did a dash cam install on my 2018 G80 sport, and it worked out nicely. The camera isn't visible from the outside and I was able to hardwire it with the wire being visible only when crossing the A-pillar, where it lies on an existing seam.

The camera itself is the very inexpensive Blueskysea B1W, which at $50 is worlds better than what I bought for $100 even two years ago. Since it's a standard micro-USB cord I could switch out the cam in the future.

IMG_20180414_173933.jpg IMG_20180414_173924.jpg IMG_20180414_173911.jpg IMG_20180414_173904.jpg IMG_20180414_173842.jpg IMG_20180414_173219.jpg IMG_20180414_173111.jpg

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I, also, just installed a Street Guardian SG9663DC in my new Sport. I was able to mount the camera to lower left portion of the rear view mirror housing eliminating any need to mount to the glass. I ran the cables through the center opening of the housing and under the top edge of the window/headliner seam. Camera is barely visible, only the lens is showing below the Frits. You can hide the cable when crossing the A pillar. It takes some coaxing and patience, but it can be pressed into the seam. Just installed yesterday. Will upload some pictures shortly.

four

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Thread starter #3
Thanks, I'd be very interested to see what your transverse of the A-pillar looks like. The seam I ran along at felt very tight, but if it's a real panel joint I could see being able to separate it enough to push though.

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thanks, I'd be very interested to see what your transverse of the A-pillar looks like. The seam I ran along at felt very tight, but if it's a real panel joint I could see being able to separate it enough to push though.
It is a real seam. Very tight, but, it can be pushed through. Pictures to come shortly.

Pictures enclosed. Sorry for the poor lighting conditions. I will try to take some more when I have better lighting options.
IMG_20180416_102413110.jpg IMG_20180416_102355895.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

pa-g80-ownr

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
With all of the cameras already installed in the G80, I would think that it would be pretty easy for Genesis to tie them together and use them as a dash cam in addition to a parking aid. They could take some space from the jukebox and reserve it for video storage. In the event of an incident, we could replace the SD card from the nav system with a empty formatted card and dump the video files to this card. Then just replace the nav card. I'm sure that it's not that easy, but the genesis engineers could figure out how to do it.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My 2015 Z06 Corvette came with a built in dash cam up by the mirror, great for track racing, the glove box has a micro sb slot, and display is on the large Nav screen.

four

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Thread starter #7
Thanks for showing me that really was a seam w/o a solid backing behind it, @larrymg1 . With the confidence to just push harder I got the cord through it and into a void no prob.

blurry-cam photo attached:

IMG_20180422_173006.jpg

djteotan

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi Four,

Do you mind sharing what all bought to hardwire it in your fuse box? Thanks

Planning to do an install myself on Tuesday.

Last edited:

four

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Thread starter #9
Sure, I went fancy-like this time and bought this hardwire kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WPSZYH/ and a 2nd micro2 add-a-circuit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZGA8O8

Which provides a micro-USB power connector that can power the camera when the car is off, but will cut it off it the battery goes below a set voltage.

Last time I did a hard wire ('06 Acura) a bought a single add-a-circuit and connected it to a single female cig-lighter socket like this https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-Cigarette-Lighter-Connector-Adapter/dp/B074CT5CSN which I mounted under the dash and plugged in the connector and cable that came w/ the camera.

Either should work fine, but it'll be nice to have parking mode this time around.

In the photos up top you can see the two fuses I patched into. One needed to be always-on and I went for "passenger power seat relays" and one needs to be accessory-on and I went with one of the three cig-lighter-accessory circuits. If you're only wiring for accessory-on you'll only need to patch into one fuse/circuit.

ACN

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm planning on doing a Blackvue 2ch install with a Cellink NEO hookup for parking mode. I don't take delivery till next week, but I forgot to check how much room is there behind the rear sunshade. Will a rear camera fit and be unobstructed by the sunshade?

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm planning on doing a Blackvue 2ch install with a Cellink NEO hookup for parking mode. I don't take delivery till next week, but I forgot to check how much room is there behind the rear sunshade. Will a rear camera fit and be unobstructed by the sunshade?
You have about 1/1/2" clearance at the top as the shade horizontal crossbar moves to its' most upward position. My Street Guardian just clears.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.