• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

G80 Sport - discoloration of the dark chrome trim around the doors

cappuccinoman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
20180827_191058.jpgI have my G80 sport for about 3 months and after I got my car back from the dealership for some rattle and armrest fabric issue. I notice that the dark chrome trim around the doors starting to discolor. I see spots everywhere on the chrome. Pieces started to look like it was from a 15 year old car.

Is anyone is having this issue? This is a WTF moment.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
None so far for me.
Have there been any attempts to remove or polish the discolorations? Is it possible that it’s just residue from cleaners used in the shop’s car wash?

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had this exact same issue. It was most prevalent on the driver side trim. In my case the it could not be buffed out. The lighter color spots was where the darker color (lacquer ???) was missing. The existing/remaining "lacquer" coating would have to be buffed out resulting in a lighter color trim. The large round lighter area in the attached picture is where I attempted to buff this out.
2018-G80-Trim-Defect.jpg

I suspect this existed at delivery, but didn't notice it until I washed car for the first time 2 weeks later. I took it back to dealer and they replaced the trim on ALL 4 side windows at no cost (covered under warranty). One piece of the new/replacement trim had a similar minor imperfection that I accepted. Estimated cost if I had to pay was $800USD.

My hypothesis is car is shipped with plastic protective film on this trim. When this film is removed by the dealer the "lacquer" is being removed/damaged. IMO this would be a defect in the darkening process/lacquer or the protective film (too sticky). The dealer service department indicated having seen a few other 2018 G80s with the same issue.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
It might be useful to post build dates of cars showing the problem.

larrymg1

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Same problem here. When I took delivery of my G80 Sport all the window trim on the right side had what appeared to be water spots. Brought to dealer's attention as I was inspecting the car at delivery. They took it to the body shop and attempted to remove the spots to no avail. They ordered new trim on the spot and it was installed 2 weeks later. No issues since. I took delivery on the car 03/29/18 and the build date 05/29/17. The dealer and I both suspect the spotting and discoloration occurred in transit or at the port. Possibly something corrosive.

Gen127

Getting familiar with the group...
California
View attachment 15239I have my G80 sport for about 3 months and after I got my car back from the dealership for some rattle and armrest fabric issue. I notice that the dark chrome trim around the doors starting to discolor. I see spots everywhere on the chrome. Pieces started to look like it was from a 15 year old car.

Is anyone is having this issue? This is a WTF moment.
Should be covered under warranty. After reading the similar experiences of others, sounds like the dealership should replace the trim with NEW, not simply attempt to buff out the staining.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Same problem here. When I took delivery of my G80 Sport all the window trim on the right side had what appeared to be water spots. Brought to dealer's attention as I was inspecting the car at delivery. They took it to the body shop and attempted to remove the spots to no avail. They ordered new trim on the spot and it was installed 2 weeks later. No issues since. I took delivery on the car 03/29/18 and the build date 05/29/17. The dealer and I both suspect the spotting and discoloration occurred in transit or at the port. Possibly something corrosive.
I originally suspected damage was caused in transit or at port, but one of the REPLACEMENT trim parts had similar etching; albeit considerably less.
The damage does appear to be from a corrosive chemical (acid/base i.e. muriatic acid, ammonia, etc.).

I'll chase down shipping date and port of entry when I can. I have a picture, in hand right now, of a label from the car with VIN. It shows MFD IN 01/08. I'm not sure how to interpret that date (Manufactured Jan 8, 2017 ????). I recall the Dealer "window sticker", which I have somewhere, had port of entry name (most likely "Baaaaaawtimore, MD" :cool:) and date on it.

larrymg1

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have a picture, in hand right now, of a label from the car with VIN. It shows MFD IN 01/08. I'm not sure how to interpret that date (Manufactured Jan 8, 2017 ????).
The sticker on the driver side door panel should show a full day, month, year MFD. Mine shows 05/29/17 as an example.
My car came through the port of Brunswick GA. It could be that the manufacturing process is flawed or the finish has been damaged by some outside agent. It is covered under warranty and if you still have damage I would ask for a second replacement.

cappuccinoman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thanks, everyone for giving me their feedback.

The dealership assured me not to worry that they will take care of it. I still waiting for my center armrest to come in from my first visit. They said they will address it then.

FYI my built date on the car is Oct 2017 and I took delivery on June 2018. I did wash my car by hand a month ago and this chrome issue did not exist. I notice only when I get my car back from the dealership last week. The dealership did a great job cleaning my car. Maybe too good of a job :)

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I originally suspected damage was caused in transit or at port, but one of the REPLACEMENT trim parts had similar etching; albeit considerably less.
The damage does appear to be from a corrosive chemical (acid/base i.e. muriatic acid, ammonia, etc.).

I'll chase down shipping date and port of entry when I can. I have a picture, in hand right now, of a label from the car with VIN. It shows MFD IN 01/08. I'm not sure how to interpret that date (Manufactured Jan 8, 2017 ????). I recall the Dealer "window sticker", which I have somewhere, had port of entry name (most likely "Baaaaaawtimore, MD" :cool:) and date on it.
The sticker on the drivers door indicates manufacturer date was April 28, 2017
G80-Mfg-Date-180923-Scrubbed.jpg
The port of entry code on the window sticker was BR. U.S. Customs (CBP) use a 3 character code. It is most likely BRU Brunswick, GA. The other CBP codes are BRG-Burlington, VT and BRG-Brownsville TX.

cappuccinoman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Got my trimming replaced. Unfortunately, there is a slight dent on one of the replacement. How aggravating.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Have them replace it again. They'll learn to be more careful.

sluffmo

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Wow, you guys are lucky. My dealership warranty manager claimed it was tree sap damage and wouldn't replace it. When I pointed out that tree sap doesn't just magically land on the trim around my windows and nowhere else they said it was damage from a car wash (Which I have used once), but somehow those chemicals only did this to the trim around my windows and nothing else. Then they said they had seen this on no other cars. So, it had to be environmental.

Showed them this page and they said it changed nothing, and to call customer care.

As I was leaving the service guy even said that he hoped they did the right thing, and he'd replace it if it was in his hands.

Called customer care who said they'd take a look and call me back. Over a week later I get a call saying that the dealership had said it was tree sap damage. I told them that the dealership said to call them to overturn their decision. So, asking what they thought wasn't the point, and they said they were e-mailing me to an alternate dispute method.

Looked at the email and it was the contact information for the BBB.

Genesis experience for the win!

Attachments

GeorgiaGuy

Registered Member
Fort Mill, SC
Just had my window trim replaced under warranty. I leased my G80 Sport when they first came out in June 2017. Never really paid attention to the trim until my wife said something. Being a rental I really didn't care that much but brought the car in the service and showed my adviser the the damaged trim. He said he never saw that before and took some pics to forward to Hyundai. Two weeks later said Hyundai approved replacement under warranty. Ordered and installed the parts and now all is good.

P.S. Your pictures look exactly like my car did.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Wow, you guys are lucky. My dealership warranty manager claimed it was tree sap damage and wouldn't replace it. When I pointed out that tree sap doesn't just magically land on the trim around my windows and nowhere else they said it was damage from a car wash (Which I have used once), but somehow those chemicals only did this to the trim around my windows and nothing else. Then they said they had seen this on no other cars. So, it had to be environmental.

Showed them this page and they said it changed nothing, and to call customer care.

As I was leaving the service guy even said that he hoped they did the right thing, and he'd replace it if it was in his hands.

Called customer care who said they'd take a look and call me back. Over a week later I get a call saying that the dealership had said it was tree sap damage. I told them that the dealership said to call them to overturn their decision. So, asking what they thought wasn't the point, and they said they were e-mailing me to an alternate dispute method.

Go to another dealer!

cappuccinoman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

I would also go to another dealership. They have no proof its from Tree Sap. even if it is, it shouldn't cause this kind of damage. Please also use social media (Facebook, Yelp, google review and if genesis sent you a service experience please make your voices heard. You'll be surprise how powerful it is.

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I am having the same issue now as well. Trying to work with my dealership to submit a warranty claim. I will keep you all posted when I hear back.

Essentially this is effecting all of my door trim on both sides. I was told initially it wouldn't be covered as this is environmental. This is a known issue. They did attempt to acid wash it but it only made the stains darker.

Attachments

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums