G80 Sport Locks Not Unlocking

NWBrian

Hasn't posted much yet...
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Hi All,

Second time with this problem: None of the power locks, other than the driver's door, work. The only way to unlock the doors is to flip the switch on each door manually from the inside of the car (unlock button on key doesn't work, unlock button on the driver's side doesn't work, grabbing the door handle from the outside doesn't work, nothing works). This also happened about six weeks ago and, even though it happened 100% of the time and I showed the dealer all the ways I can't unlock 75% of my doors, they claimed to be unable to replicate the problem and returned the car to me with the problem fixed. Six weeks later, it's broken again.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this particular problem or the bizzare way the dealer insisted there wasn't any problem to begin with (remember, this is and was not an intermittent issue and the tech at the dealer couldn't unlock my doors either). I'm bringing my car in again next week for what I hope is the final time for this issue, so any thoughts as to what is going on would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi All,

Second time with this problem: None of the power locks, other than the driver's door, work. The only way to unlock the doors is to flip the switch on each door manually from the inside of the car (unlock button on key doesn't work, unlock button on the driver's side doesn't work, grabbing the door handle from the outside doesn't work, nothing works). This also happened about six weeks ago and, even though it happened 100% of the time and I showed the dealer all the ways I can't unlock 75% of my doors, they claimed to be unable to replicate the problem and returned the car to me with the problem fixed. Six weeks later, it's broken again.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this particular problem or the bizzare way the dealer insisted there wasn't any problem to begin with (remember, this is and was not an intermittent issue and the tech at the dealer couldn't unlock my doors either). I'm bringing my car in again next week for what I hope is the final time for this issue, so any thoughts as to what is going on would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

Make sure when you stop the car you depress the park button. This will immediately unlock all doors. Check settings in the dash board. Make sure you are set to unlock all doors when placed in park. I am assuming the 2018 G80 Sport has shift by wire but I am not sure. Check that child locks on back doors are not engaged.

NWBrian

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Make sure when you stop the car you depress the park button. This will immediately unlock all doors. Check settings in the dash board. Make sure you are set to unlock all doors when placed in park. I am assuming the 2018 G80 Sport has shift by wire but I am not sure. Check that child locks on back doors are not engaged.

Thanks It2211. I tried putting the car in park as you suggested and it only unlocked the same one door. Child locks are not engaged.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Thanks It2211. I tried putting the car in park as you suggested and it only unlocked the same one door. Child locks are not engaged.

I can tell you that the back doors are weird. Even with the child locks NOT engaged you still have to manually unlock the back doors or remember to press the unlock on the driver side at least on the G90. Check your settings on the LCD display to see how your door locks are configured. Finally try pressing the unlock on the fob twice from outside the car to see if it unlocks all doors.

With all that being said I cannot think of any reason why grabbing the either front door handles wouldn’t unlock the door. Not sure about the rear doors on the G80 sport but I assume they have the same door grab sensors as the front.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
With all that being said I cannot think of any reason why grabbing the either front door handles wouldn’t unlock the door. Not sure about the rear doors on the G80 sport but I assume they have the same door grab sensors as the front.

Yes. All doors can be unlocked.

Automatically Unlock
• Off: The auto door unlock operation will be canceled.
• Power Off: All doors will be automatically unlocked when the Engine Start/Stop button is set to the
OFF position.
• Shift Lever: All doors will be automatically unlocked if the automatic transmission shift lever is
shifted to the P (Park) position.

Two Press Unlock
To activate or deactivate the two press unlock function. If activated, the driver's door will unlock if
the door is unlocked. When the door is unlocked again within 4 seconds, all doors will unlock.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Automatically Unlock
• Power Off: All doors will be automatically unlocked when the Engine Start/Stop button is set to the
OFF position.
• Shift Lever: All doors will be automatically unlocked if the automatic transmission shift lever is

Two Press Unlock
To activate or deactivate the two press unlock function. If activated, the driver's door will unlock if
the door is unlocked. When the door is unlocked again within 4 seconds, all doors will unlock.

I thought this to be the problem also except Brian indicated they did not unlock from the drivers side interior unlock button. That should work in any event or setting.

Last edited:

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I thought this to be the problem also except Brian indicated they did not unlock from the drivers side interior unlock button. That should work in any event or setting.

I agree. There is a serious problem here that only the dealer can handle.

g_768394

Hi All,

Thanks,
Brian
My 2018 G80 Sport is doing the same thing. Did you ever find out what was causing this?

jgibson146

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Atlanta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Automatically Unlock
OFF position.

Two Press Unlock
Are you saying a code can be entered to change behavior of unlock feature? Where would I enter this code?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Are you saying a code can be entered to change behavior of unlock feature? Where would I enter this code?
It is in the menu on the setting. Push the button on the right side of the steering wheel until you get to setting and find the one for door locks. Check the box for the one you want.

olivierhk1

My 2018 G80 Sport is doing the same thing. Did you ever find out what was causing this?
I have exactly the same issue with my G80 Sport. It started today. Did anyone have the answer on how to solve it?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums