G80 Sport Oil Change 3.3T Turbo

DJK

Hasn't posted much yet...
Fairfield
I took my G80 Sport in for an oil change. They wanted to put conventional oil in, which I objected too. They finally agreed to use synthetic. According to owners manual it takes
7.29 quarts for a change. They only show 6 quarts on itemized bill. Anybody know for sure how many quarts for a 3.3T twin turbo V6?

GRK
2018 G80 Sport

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Oil specifications and capacity in the owners manual should be correct. Did you check the dipstick level?

They should show different specs for the V6TT than for the regular V6 or V8 (unless G80 Sport has separate manual). If they specify a 0W-20 or 0W-30 viscosity, there is no conventional oil with that viscosity (need at least a synthetic blend).

To get a PDF version of the manual, you can register at www.mygenesis.com and download one.

This is why Hyundai (and now Genesis Motors) concierge service is a joke. I don't let my Hyundai Genesis dealer touch my car unless necessary (I do my own oil changes).

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Yes, the level was full. So did they not change the filter? just the oil?
How are we supposed to know that? But one possibility is that, since the oil change was free, they didn't pay much attention to putting the correct amount of oil on the invoice, but the technician may have used the correct amount and changed the filter.

lobsenza

Registered Member
Austin, TX
Another option is for you to supply the oil and ask them to use it. I understand that this costs more and that only gives your free labor and a filter. But, that way you get the oil you want...

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Another option is for you to supply the oil and ask them to use it. I understand that this costs more and that only gives your free labor and a filter. But, that way you get the oil you want...
I tired that once at a Hyundai dealer (for a non-concierge oil change) and when I got the bill it included a charge for oil. They didn't use my oil, even though I put 2 labels on the oil filler cap with text that said to use customer oil in trunk (and service writer specified that on the work order). That was the one any only time I used dealer to change the oil.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I had that issue once. They drained the oil and refilled with my oil.
That's what they said they did with mine. When I got home there was 1 quart in my trunk not opened (the 5-quart container of oil was gone). My V6 takes 5.5 quarts. When I got home, I checked my dipstick it was way over full, probably 6 quarts, and probably they so I suspect they did not change the oil filter after using their conventional oil. At that point, I changed the oil again at home. Never again.

Ahubl

California
took my G80 Sport to dealer for first oil change. The receipt stated SAE 5-20 Synthetic blend. I called dealer to change to the specified ACEA A5 oil, which is a 5 or 10-30 full synthetic. Dealer informed me that Hunday only pays for the 20 blend oil. I called Genesis for clarification to have the dealer change the oil. Genesis informed me, the dealer is not calling back.
I replaced the oil with the correct type. Looks like this is a common problem. The turbo engines running hot, need the thicker synthetic.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis informed me, the dealer is not calling back.
Sorry, what exactly does this mean?

It looks like more than 2 years after the launch of Genesis Motors, they still don't get it, and are doomed to failure as competition to the real luxury brands. They should either just stick with Hyundai dealers and drop the concierge service, or fire the head of Genesis Motors USA and get someone who can straighten out the mess.

Absolutely GD right, only a full synthetic should be used in a Turbo engine. Even run on the mill Toyota and Hondas (including non-turbos) now require synthetic and here is Genesis Motors "pretending" to be a luxury brand trying to skimp on motor oil.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I agree,, especially on a 60k car with twin turbo engine. I've owned two turbo cars though, neither one called for synthetic.
I am talking about cars built in the 20th or 21st centuries.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2013 Sonata 2.0
Hyundai is a "special" case. They refuse to specify synthetic so they can maintain their claim of a lower cost of ownership compared to Honda or Toyota. Every single Hyundai salesperson can lecture you about this. It's strictly a marketing ploy, not an engineering decision.

Ahubl

California
2013 Sonata 2.0
I am not ready to blame Genesis, I think whats happening is that the dealers are completely independent, Genesis has no control over what they do. Genesis recommends full synthetic, there fore I am sure the dealer gets reimbursed for it, but if they use a less expensive oil, to make more money. I was invited to an open house by Genesis, they admitted, having problems with the dealers and by 2020 have their own Genesis dealerships.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I am not ready to blame Genesis, I think whats happening is that the dealers are completely independent, Genesis has no control over what they do. Genesis recommends full synthetic, there fore I am sure the dealer gets reimbursed for it, but if they use a less expensive oil, to make more money. I was invited to an open house by Genesis, they admitted, having problems with the dealers and by 2020 have their own Genesis dealerships.
If Hyundai is more clear to dealers and in the owners manual about what oil is acceptable to maintain the warranty, then the dealers will be required to use it. Toyota and Honda dealers have no trouble whatsoever with getting dealers to use the required oil (there are no 0W-20 conventional oils).

letoki

East Coast, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I have the ‘18 3.3 Turbo G80 Sport. For first maintenance Dealer today used Quaker State 5W-30 synthetic BLEND. I had asked for full synthetic. They said this is what is called for by Genesis. Are they right? Manual appears to be silent on blend versus full.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I have the ‘18 3.3 Turbo G80 Sport. For first maintenance Dealer today used Quaker State 5W-30 synthetic BLEND. I had asked for full synthetic. They said this is what is called for by Genesis. Are they right? Manual appears to be silent on blend versus full.
The dealer may be correct about what is required, but I would ask them how much it would cost to upgrade to a full synthetic. You can get a 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 for $25 at Walmart and Mobil 1 is offering a $12 rebate for each 5 quarts purchased right now (maximum 2 rebates or 10 quarts of oil).

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.