G80 Sport owners input

Thread starter #1
Hello G80ers, i'm strongly considering purchasing the G80 sport within next few weeks and wanted to gauge what your experience has been owning this vehicle for the past year or so. I understand that Korean cars traditionally have not had the best reputation as far quality goes (thus the 10 year warranty) but I also realize that this has changed dramatically during the past few years and now people are saying Hyundai may be one of the more reliable automakers.

So any regrets? Would you purchase your G80 again if you could go back? As far as price and value, is there really any other luxury car that can match what the G80 offers?

My biggest hesitation in proceeding with the purchase comes after reading the following thread:
G80 Sport valve clatter
...seems like some potential for a recall??

I appreciate any and all input!!

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I purchased my car in March and now have about 7600 miles on it. I love the car. I had a 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T, that I still have, which I also liked very much. Granted, the G80 is a much nicer car than a Sonata. Both have been trouble free for me. The Sonata has 135000 on it. It did have its engine replaced due to a recall but Hyundai was very good about the whole ordeal. My car was actually one of the early break downs which led to the recall. They took care of it without any hassle whatsoever. I would not hesitate in purchasing a Hyundai or Genesis again.

I have to admit that the G80 is the best car that I have owned. I like its ride, its features, its comfort, its handling, its luxury and its sportiness. I think you will be very happy if you get one.

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Go for it!. I leased my second Genesis (2015 3.8 and 2018 G80 Sport) in March. The 2015 was an outstanding car with minimal issues (those issues resolved satisfactorily) and a joy to drive and own. My new G80 Sport is even better. All aspects are exceptional. Dollar for dollar I have not been able to find another brand that delivers the quality, features, and value of the Genesis. Genesis is ranked at or near the top in safety, value, and reliability. I have owned more brands and levels of brands than I can remember. From my first car 60 years ago of a 1954 Ford, MB's (190, 300, 480 & 560 SL) BMW's, Lincolns, Cads, Infinity, and countless more I am as satisfied with Genesis as I have been with any other car.

bubbaG80Sport

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Tennessee
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I owned a 2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan for 7 years/100K miles and currently have a 2018 G80 Sport AWD purchased Feb 2018 with 9k miles so far.
I previously owned 6 Honda's/Acura's before switching to Hyundai/Genesis. Prior to purchasing my first Genny, I believed Hyundai built cr@ppy vehicles. I believe they now build a quality vehicle.

I have no regrets on either vehicle. Quality is as good or better than any other luxury brand and improving (google Hyundai/Genesis quality rank).
Value is the best of ANY luxury brand.

I've had no issues with either vehicle attributed to design or manufacturing. Issues were minor and caused/fixed by the dealer.

Re: G80 Sport valve clatter. There appears to be only a few reports of this right now.
Every manufacturer will build "lemons". The hope is yours builds the fewest and you don't get one of them.

Hyundai/Genesis maintenance service is acceptable, but not the valet/pampered level of Lexus or Mercedes (which you pay more for).
Cost of ownership is reasonable (especially compared to a BMW or Audi!).

If you want the cachet of a name and have $10K+ to throw away, faster 0-> 60 times/pull more lateral G's; buy another luxury band.
If you want a fun/enjoyable to drive, reliable, value priced, stylish, high safety rated, modern vehicle buy the Genesis.

That's my $0.05 (adjusted for inflation).

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hello G80ers, i'm strongly considering purchasing the G80 sport within next few weeks and wanted to gauge what your experience has been owning this vehicle for the past year or so. I understand that Korean cars traditionally have not had the best reputation as far quality goes (thus the 10 year warranty)

So any regrets? Would you purchase your G80 again if you could go back?
I recommend you avoid the 1986 Hyundai Excel, but I'd heartily recommend anything from at least the mid 2000s. I'm on my 5th Hyundai/Genesis vehicles and the quality is better than any of my previous cars from the US or Germany. The long warranty convinced my to try my first Sonata, but the quality, fit and finish, and value is what brings ms back.

My next car will be a Genesis unless I win the lottery in which case it will be a Rolls Royce Dawn.

tissle

Getting familiar with the group...
If you want a true sports car, then the G80 Sport is not that. If you want a luxury car with sports-car features, then G80 Sport is the best bang for the buck.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
2018 Consumer Reports has the Genesis G80 and G90 ranked # 3 and 4 in the country. I think Tesla and Porsche were 1 and 2. I believe that was in the luxury category.

The G80 Sport that I bought in mid March is the best vehicle I've ever own OR driven.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Hello G80ers, i'm strongly considering purchasing the G80 sport within next few weeks and wanted to gauge what your experience has been owning this vehicle for the past year or so. I understand that Korean cars traditionally have not had the best reputation as far quality goes (thus the 10 year warranty)
or if you are a optimist, the 10 year warranty is because Hyundai believes and stands by their quality..

Manufacturers do not like to pay for warranty work, you may have noticed that over the past few years the American car companies have reduced their warranties,, Chrysler used to have a Lifetime Powertrain warranty, then went to 7/100 and now it is 5/100 and in 2020 is going to 5/60. GM went from 5/100 to 5/60 already.. Ford was also had a 7/100 and is now a 5/100 and being reduced to 5/60 in 2020. The very worst is BMW at 4/50K, do you think BMWs never break down?

All of the big 3 have suffered major recalls over the past 8 years since their bankruptcies, and as a result have cut their warranties significantly to stem the financial burden.

The way I see it, if a company believes in their product they will offer a great warranty because no company wants to spend major money repairing garbage products..

you can see it in many products.. I had an LG refrigerator that had their new "single piston" compressor, and they only offered a 1 year warranty on it, I bought an extended and at 18 months the compressor died, $5,000 Fridge, luckily I had the extended, and Best Buy was forced to replace the fridge because the compressor was on a 6 month back order, I googled it and sure enough thousands of failures, and the compressor was $700 and a lot of people angry because their $3,000 -$5,000 LG fridge failed within 2 years.

The GE I replaced it with - LIFETIME on the compressor, My garage fridge is an Amana I bought when I got my first apartment (without roommates) in 1997 and also lifetime warranty on the compressor and it is running strong 21 years later, it has never been serviced.

Thread starter #11
Thank you guys for the excellent input. I have already started my test driving this awesome vehicle and am looking to purchase one soon. Is it normal for a brand new g80 sport to have 250+ miles on it? It seems like alot of miles...I've even test drove one that had 1000 miles on it. Also, would I be better of waiting until the 2019 genesis models start to come out? I'd hate to jump on a 2018 model now, only to have its price drop dramatically after the 2019 models are announced

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Is it normal for a brand new g80 sport to have 250+ miles on it? It seems like alot of miles...I've even test drove one that had 1000 miles on it. Also, would I be better of waiting until the 2019 genesis models start to come out?
The cars you test drive are often the ones used by the sales people or managers. If you do buy that particular car it may be well discounted. If it is a normal car on the lot it will have 25 to 50 miles.

I'd not expect a big drop when the 19'a come out either. There was a bit of a refresh in 18 and I'd guess only minor changes on the 19 and a bigger change in 20 or 21.

TruShotta

Maryland
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I would wait. I'm not sure what kind of incentives are currently running, but according to this article it seems Genesis will be making a bigger push towards the end of the year with '19 models with "reasonable incentives." Maybe use that as a way to negotiate better pricing at the dealership for the '18 that are on the lot.

I've had my G80 Sport for a little over a year at 25k miles on it already and love the car but hate the tires. Be sure to grab any wheel & tire warranty the dealership may offer, it's saved me more times than I would like.

I've also noticed that Hyundai dealers love to rack up miles on these G80's and take them home. I watched my G80 sport get unloaded off the truck before purchase with 6 miles on it and bought it 2 days later with 70 miles on it. Granted I never pulled the trigger the day it arrived so the car wasn't mine at the time, it still slightly upset me hearing multiple salesmen talk about how they all had a great time driving it and that the manager had it overnight. I had the similar convo with a salesman back in 2014 when the 15's came out. Asked for a test drive for a htrac 3.8 and was told the manager took it home for the weekend.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I would wait. I'm not sure what kind of incentives are currently running, but according to this article it seems Genesis will be making a bigger push towards the end of the year with '19 models with "reasonable incentives." Maybe use that as a way to negotiate better pricing at the dealership for the '18 that are on the lot.

I've had my G80 Sport for a little over a year at 25k miles on it already and love the car but hate the tires. Be sure to grab any wheel & tire warranty the dealership may offer, it's saved me more times than I would like.

I've also noticed that Hyundai dealers love to rack up miles on these G80's and take them home. I watched my G80 sport get unloaded off the truck before purchase with 6 miles on it and bought it 2 days later with 70 miles on it. Granted I never pulled the trigger the day it arrived so the car wasn't mine at the time, it still slightly upset me hearing multiple salesmen talk about how they all had a great time driving it and that the manager had it overnight. I had the similar convo with a salesman back in 2014 when the 15's came out. Asked for a test drive for a htrac 3.8 and was told the manager took it home for the weekend.
Car dealers have been doing that for ages. First, it puts the car on the street for others to see, Then there are test drives. I think I put about 35 miles on the G80 that I drove. The G80 Sport I bought was on the show room floor so it only had a few miles. In fact, when they were getting it ready for me, they found that the battery was weak and had to replace it before I could drive it away.

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
First, we have two Hyundais and am very happy with them. The 2011 Elantra and 2017 Tucson. We might still have the 2011 Tucson had a red light runner not caused a 5 car accident a couple of years ago. Due to great safety rating and features, no injuries.

The G80 is very attractive to me, but the Elantra is only 178 x 70, but the G80 is 197 x 74 and I don’t know if I’d be making too big of a “jump.”

The Question: has anyone gone from a compact to a G80 and did it take a while to get comfortable with a larger car?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The Question: has anyone gone from a compact to a G80 and did it take a while to get comfortable with a larger car?
Not to a G80 but have gone from compacts to large cars back and forth the same day and it takes seconds to accommodate. You'll like the added comfort.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The G80 is very attractive to me, but the Elantra is only 178 x 70, but the G80 is 197 x 74 and I don’t know if I’d be making too big of a “jump.”
I went from a Acura RDX that was 73.7" W and 85" long. In tight places, my G80 just feels bigger although with the 4 outside cameras, I haven't had any trouble so far in parking the beast. Still, I watch closely when making turns. On the highway, piece of cake.

And then there's the option of waiting for the G70 to debut. Smaller than the G80...

Polar Ice

Registered Member
British Columbia, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Pasgasser2, I just took delivery of my 2019 G80 Sport in polar ice, (beautiful colour) I've had my eye on the Genesis line ever since they came out with the Sport line. The front end fascias of the other G80 family just didn't do anything for me. I think the luxury of the G80 speaks for itself. However the build quality, ride quality, fit and finish and quietness of the brand was earned by my purchase earlier this year of a new Hyundai Santa Fe Elite for my Australian home - (2.2 turbo Diesel - AWD, Ya it goes) It has all the options available except the sunroof (don't need more heat in the car) and LED lights. I drove it for 3 months earlier this year, putting over 5000 miles on it and I can say, I love it. Hyundai's Genesis line would easily be able to top this, so with out too much trepidation, I pulled the preverbal trigger without any regrets. I've only had my G80 two weeks. While I paid attention to break in protocol during the first 1000 kilometres, I have not been afraid to put my foot into it and I can share with you, those who have ridden with as I punch it from a standing start or while passing another vehicle often use the phrase "Holy $#&@". Of course, I'm paraphrasing. And you know, the funny thing is, I've only engaged the "sport mode" twice. All that performance while in "normal mode". I will say though, I am interested in seeing how the G80 Sport (AWD in Canada) performs around my mountainous terrain in "Snow Mode". Should be fun. Regards.

Last edited:

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I went from a Honda Accord to the G80 which as first I was a little uncomfortable with driving the bigger car. Even just parking in the garage now as it just fits. The good news is the G80 is such an easy car to drive and with all the techo gear, camera's, sensors, etc it makes it easy to park. Yes I wish it was a little smaller I don't need the big back seat, etc but overall I love this car and has to be one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.