G80 Sport Tires Suck

tissle

Getting familiar with the group...
I got a 2018 G80 Sport. The continental pro contact tx tires on them sucks. The front right tire exploded while driving on a high way and one of the back tires is missing a piece.

I took it to the dealership and they both have to be replaced. I called Continental and Genesis about these issues. Waiting for their response.

Genesis told me these tires were made "specifically" for the Genesis. The worst part is hardly any tire places have these tires in stock.

GenesisX

Registered Member
Boston
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
They also suck because they are not repairable. The “Conti-Silent” tire has a foam layer inside the tire making it impossible to patch a hole.

IMG_4791.jpg

Last edited:

tissle

I don't want to get the same tires. What tires do people recommend here?

Best,
Martin

four

Supporting Member
Michigan
I had a G80 Sport tire shred itself after 2,400 miles. Dealer said there was nothing they could do. Continental said there was nothing they could do. Genesis Customer Care refunded me the price of the replacement and labor.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Get away from the Conti's! They are a risk and can pose nothing but trouble if you plan to put miles on them. After side wall problems and blowouts I have switched to Mich 3+s and enjoy a better ride, handling, etc., and no flat spots, sidewall blowouts or belt problems. If you go to other Gen sites & TR you will see the problems some Conti owners have had.

s

GenesisX

Registered Member
Boston
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Get away from the Conti's! They are a risk and can pose nothing but trouble if you plan to put miles on them. After side wall problems and blowouts I have switched to Mich 3+s and enjoy a better ride, handling, etc., and no flat spots, sidewall blowouts or belt problems. If you go to other Gen sites & TR you will see the problems some Conti owners have had.

s
Maybe we'll see a 2nd tire recall.

phil1980

I had a G80 Sport tire shred itself after 2,400 miles. Dealer said there was nothing they could do. Continental said there was nothing they could do. Genesis Customer Care refunded me the price of the replacement and labor.
Could you please provide more details on what did you say to Genesis CC to get a refund? I had to replace a tire at about same mileage after a sidewall bubble and thought it's not a warranty case. Thanks.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
"Tires originally equipped on Genesis vehicles are warranted by their respective manufacturer. If an original tire on your Genesis vehicle has a defect in material or workmanship, please contact the tire manufacturer or ask your authorized Retailer of Genesis Branded products for assistance."

So if you can convince the tire manufacture it was a defect they will replace or pro-rate the tire.

AcerOne

Hasn't posted much yet...
Calgary, Canada.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
In the summer is use the Yokohama Advan V105. Absolutely love them... Yokohama ice Guards in the winter too lol.

four

Supporting Member
Michigan
Could you please provide more details on what did you say to Genesis CC to get a refund? I had to replace a tire at about same mileage after a sidewall bubble and thought it's not a warranty case. Thanks.
I told Customer Care that I recognize this isn't covered by any Genesis Warranty and that Continental won't cover it without impossible to obtain proof of a defect, but that I'm a new Genesis owner who is unhappy and that they should make it right. They agreed to do so, but I did have to send them a scan of the dealer's invoice before they'd mail me the check.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I told Customer Care that I recognize this isn't covered by any Genesis Warranty and that Continental won't cover it without impossible to obtain proof of a defect, but that I'm a new Genesis owner who is unhappy and that they should make it right. They agreed to do so, but I did have to send them a scan of the dealer's invoice before they'd mail me the check.
I'd say that a tire disintegrating at 2400 miles would be proof of a defect.

Jackthelad

West Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just glad the regular G80 Htrac came with Michelins, albeit not the ones I really like - the Pilot Sports. I run Pilot Sport A/S on my "other" car - a Vette. They have been absolutely trouble free and stick like glue. Got me home in snow a couple times too and Vettes do not like snow! When the Genesis needs new tires, that's what will go on.

I had Conti Extreme Contact DWS on my turbo Subaru. They were fine in general, but useless in snow. Something crazy about an AWD car being all over the place on 2" of snow.

fubsy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I just had the same problem with my right front tire. I had recently driven from Maryland to Florida. I had parked in a parking lot and when I returned to my car there was a 2" gash in the sidewall. Paid a Hyundai dealer $400 to replace the tire. When I got home, I contacted Genesis Customer Care. They are reimbursing me for the cost of the new tire. I'm going to replace the Continentals with Michelin Pilot Sports A/S.

fubsy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm not waiting until I need new tires to replace them. After reading that others are having the same issue, I'm replacing mine tomorrow. Can't trust my safety to Continental tires. I hate to spend the money, but my peace of mind is well worth it.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm not waiting until I need new tires to replace them. After reading that others are having the same issue, I'm replacing mine tomorrow. Can't trust my safety to Continental tires. I hate to spend the money, but my peace of mind is well worth it.
Make sure you keep all the paperwork in case Genesis steps up with some kind of recall on these tires.