G80 Sport Tires Suck

Dimitry

Registered Member
They also suck because they are not repairable. The “Conti-Silent” tire has a foam layer inside the tire making it impossible to patch a hole.

View attachment 13225
You can still patch it. You just have to remove the part of the foam there if you're patching it the most professional way.

Here is a good writeup from Continental with pictures (English towards the middle)

https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/1081370/7970e74560683f09be3e74081788336b/contisilent-repair-download-data.pdf

I patched a nail in mine just recently with a tire plug kit without even removing the tire or the foam and it's been fine.

keithl

Getting familiar with the group...
Georgia
I don't want to get the same tires. What tires do people recommend here?

Best,
Martin
I had an Audi A6 and Acura TLX and have had 3 sets of Conto DWS06 and they are awesome tires. They are UHP so treadwear will be an issue with staggered tires.

drpearso

Registered Member
Wilmington, NC
You can still patch it. You just have to remove the part of the foam there if you're patching it the most professional way.

Here is a good writeup from Continental with pictures (English towards the middle)

https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/1081370/7970e74560683f09be3e74081788336b/contisilent-repair-download-data.pdf

I patched a nail in mine just recently with a tire plug kit without even removing the tire or the foam and it's been fine.
Thank you very much for the patch information with pictures. I just spent 4 plus hours at COSTCO to have a screw patched in my 2015 Genesis with Continentals. They had the tire off and told me that they could not patch it due to the thin foam inner liner. I asked them, why can you not just puff the foam away, and puff the tire down and put a patch on it. They said that would not work. So, here is your article with pictures that do just as I suggested to COSTCO. So I had them put he tire back on and I am at home. I'll take it to a real tire place in the morning. THANK YOU, for your article. PS - I even gave the guys at COSTCO a $20 tip since they re-embursed me for the tire not being repaired!!!! Mercy.

drpearso

Registered Member
Wilmington, NC
Thank you very much for the patch information with pictures. I just spent 4 plus hours at COSTCO to have a screw patched in my 2015 Genesis with Continentals. They had the tire off and told me that they could not patch it due to the thin foam inner liner. I asked them, why can you not just puff the foam away, and puff the tire down and put a patch on it. They said that would not work. So, here is your article with pictures that do just as I suggested to COSTCO. So I had them put he tire back on and I am at home. I'll take it to a real tire place in the morning. THANK YOU, for your article. PS - I even gave the guys at COSTCO a $20 tip since they re-embursed me for the tire not being repaired!!!! Mercy.

letoki

Hasn't posted much yet...
East Coast, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I noticed a bubble and a rip on my front left tire at 6k miles on my G80 Sport 3.3. I have been driving for 38 years without a bubble or rip or blowout of any kind. The dealer offered a new Conti for $380 installed. The dealer did not offer to inspect the tire for purposes of the warranty and told me it was up to me to speak to Continental’s customer service (which is atrocious.)

I went to a tire center and we contacted Continental. At first it said the tire center should inspect the tire and take pictures and forward. Later it told me they would not review the inspection pictures but needed to receive the physical tire to evaluate. If it then agreed it was covered by warranty (which I understand they rarely do) then it would send me a credit, good for Continental tires only. Not sure why I would want that credit if the tire was defective. Anyway, I asked what I should do about only having three tires while this process would be carried out and there was no answer. I suppose I should ride around on the compact spare while they deflect warranty coverage for the tire.

I was pretty fed up with the customer service clowns and decided to put two new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the front. Happy so far. I put the front right Continental tire on a hook in my garage. I guess I could keep it in my trunk although it probably doesn’t fit in the compartment where the compact spare sits.

Anyone know if Genesis is deploying the same garbage tire/brand for 2019 models? (Narrator: They should not.)

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
I noticed a bubble and a rip on my front left tire at 6k miles on my G80 Sport 3.3. I have been driving for 38 years without a bubble or rip or blowout of any kind. The dealer offered a new Conti for $380 installed. The dealer did not offer to inspect the tire for purposes of the warranty and told me it was up to me to speak to Continental’s customer service (which is atrocious.)

I went to a tire center and we contacted Continental. At first it said the tire center should inspect the tire and take pictures and forward. Later it told me they would not review the inspection pictures but needed to receive the physical tire to evaluate. If it then agreed it was covered by warranty (which I understand they rarely do) then it would send me a credit, good for Continental tires only. Not sure why I would want that credit if the tire was defective. Anyway, I asked what I should do about only having three tires while this process would be carried out and there was no answer. I suppose I should ride around on the compact spare while they deflect warranty coverage for the tire.

I was pretty fed up with the customer service clowns and decided to put two new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the front. Happy so far. I put the front right Continental tire on a hook in my garage. I guess I could keep it in my trunk although it probably doesn’t fit in the compartment where the compact spare sits.

Anyone know if Genesis is deploying the same garbage tire/brand for 2019 models? (Narrator: They should not.)
Doubtful that Hyundai would change. The Continentals were most likely chosen for their quietness, improved fuel economy and price.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had a similar problem when I "jumped" a curb, putting a gouge in my right front tire. I was getting ready for a trip and certanly didn't want to drive at highway speeds with the damaged tire. I first called my dealer, but they didn'th have a 245/45/R90 in stock and no local tire shop could get one quickly. So i sucked it up and a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

I don't know if the local tire shops were jerking me off, but they said I couldn't put Michelins on the front, keeping Continentals on the back. Staggered and all that. So I have 3 Continentals in my garage. I'm trying to sell them, but no takers yet. They only have 2000 miles on them.

Re putting your "spare" in the trunk, it fits fine as per my test. However, some of the long timers here say the 245/45/R90 won't fit on a rear hub for a short drive to a tire shop if I get a flat on one of the 275/35/R90 rear tires. The only problem with using your "hook" tire as a spare other than whether it would work as a back wheel, is that you would need a new wheel for the spare.

IF you want to make a deal for my 245/45/R19 with 2,000 on it, let me know. I'm not holding my breath though. If I can't sell my 3 tires, maybe down the line, I'll buy a Conti 245/45/R19 and go back to a stock setup.

letoki

East Coast, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thanks, gents.

My tire guy said I could have Pilots up front and Contis in the back. I really don’t know who/what to believe. Same goes for whether the “hook” could be a back tire spare.

I don’t think I’ll have much success trying to sell my “hook” tire. Maybe I will rope it to a tree and throw footballs through it or see if it bubbles when struck by a soft toss.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had a similar problem when I "jumped" a curb, putting a gouge in my right front tire. I was getting ready for a trip and certanly didn't want to drive at highway speeds with the damaged tire. I first called my dealer, but they didn'th have a 245/45/R90 in stock and no local tire shop could get one quickly. So i sucked it up and a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

I don't know if the local tire shops were jerking me off, but they said I couldn't put Michelins on the front, keeping Continentals on the back. Staggered and all that. So I have 3 Continentals in my garage. I'm trying to sell them, but no takers yet. They only have 2000 miles on them.

Re putting your "spare" in the trunk, it fits fine as per my test. However, some of the long timers here say the 245/45/R90 won't fit on a rear hub for a short drive to a tire shop if I get a flat on one of the 275/35/R90 rear tires. The only problem with using your "hook" tire as a spare other than whether it would work as a back wheel, is that you would need a new wheel for the spare.

IF you want to make a deal for my 245/45/R19 with 2,000 on it, let me know. I'm not holding my breath though. If I can't sell my 3 tires, maybe down the line, I'll buy a Conti 245/45/R19 and go back to a stock setup.

i'm sure it is a typo, but you have 245/45R19 and 275/35/R19 tires.. not R90s.. that would mean you have a 90" wheel: :cool:

I was only able to find an 63" wheel on google: :eek:

1539011243689.png

rroyce46

Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Drove a used 2017 G90 3.3 AWD with 12000 kilometers & was very impressed with everything over my 2016 Genny 3.8 AWD except the Continental tires. Noticed on the Carproof it had already had 2 flats & a tire replacement before traded in. Tires felt squishy in fast corners.
I am surprised Genesis hasn't stopped using Continental Tires on G80 & G90 after all the reported issues.

Hyundai recalled all the 2015 Hankook tire equipped cars after problems & replaced them with Michelin Primacy which is what I have on my car. After 20000 Kilometers they are fine so far.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Plug it with a good plug kit and forget about it.

I just filed a complaint with the NHTSA asking that they start an investigation into the sidewall issues with the Continental Procontact TX tire.
Everyone with this issue should do the same thing - File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
Nope, not a chance. You've already stated in another thread, "All I can tell you is my front tire blew out while parked. A 3" gash in the sidewall. I will admit that I had hit a pothole, but I had driven 2 weeks and 700 miles on that tire, after hitting the pothole, before the sidewall failed. Reading other reviews about sidewall failures + my experience = garbage/trash."

I'll agree with you on one account; "they're trash/garbage when you tear one up by hitting a pothole and putting a 3" gash in tire sidewall and continuing to drive it for another 700 miles, endangering yourself and everyone around you. Then you have the audacity to boldly announce to everyone here; " they're, junk/ garbage" because you tore it up by not avoiding a pothole. That's a laugh!:popcorn:

Your comments, not anyone else's and it's part of this forums history also. It's exactly why creditability and integrity always trumps a lack there of. I sure hope you informed Continental and the NHTSA, you did this in your complaints. Otherwise, what you have reported is consistent with fraud. In other words; you lied on your complaint to the NHTSA and to Continental, for your personal gain and you're just carrying it on here. Nuff said!:thankyouspin:

Last edited:

fubsy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Plug it with a good plug kit and forget about it.

Nope, not a chance. You've already stated in another thread, "All I can tell you is my front tire blew out while parked. A 3" gash in the sidewall. I will admit that I had hit a pothole, but I had driven 2 weeks and 700 miles on that tire, after hitting the pothole, before the sidewall failed. Reading other reviews about sidewall failures + my experience = garbage/trash."

I'll agree with you on one account; "they're trash/garbage when you tear one up by hitting a pothole and putting a 3" gash in tire sidewall and continuing to drive it for another 700 miles, endangering yourself and everyone around you. Then you have the audacity to boldly announce to everyone here; " they're, junk/ garbage" because you tore it up by not avoiding a pothole. That's a laugh!:popcorn:

Your comments, not anyone else's and it's part of this forums history also. It's exactly why creditability and integrity always trumps a lack there of. I sure hope you informed Continental and the NHTSA, you did this in your complaints. Otherwise, what you have reported is consistent with fraud. In other words; you lied on your complaint to the NHTSA and to Continental, for your personal gain and you're just carrying it on here. Nuff said!:thankyouspin:
How dare you insult my creditability and integrity! You misunderstood what I said. After hitting the pothole, there was no visible damage to the the sidewall. I drove 700 miles. There was no visible damage to the sidewall. The car was parked when the gash appeared. I did not commit fraud! I did not get any personal gain. I paid for a full set of Michelin tires in order to have peace of mind and so I wouldn't endanger myself, my family or other drivers. Obviously you must be a much better driver than me because I couldn't avoid the pothole. It was on I-95 in Georgia, it was at night and I hit it at speed. In my 50 years of driving I have it potholes, but I have never had a tire blowout due to the pothole.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You did that yourself. And we've still not heard the rest of the story. You're the one who admitted hitting a pothole, no one else. What did you think, that particular tire went unscathed?

No, I didn't misunderstand, you haven't any creditability. Three quarters of your posts are about how crappy Continental tires are. You damaged one tire. Did you report to you dealer, Continental and NHTSA you possibly damaged the tire by hitting a pothole? Somehow I doubt it.

What you don't understand is; any tire in a 40-45 series will expose more sidewall due to tire squat, including Michelin. People in general attempt to avoid potholes, not run into them with a car or on foot. You rolled the sidewall carcass. With all your griping, for one moment did you even think you might have been the cause. You started blaming Continental for a problem you possibly caused.

No, I got it right the first time. Now, tell me you reported the possible damage to the tire from the pothole in your complaints to either dealer, Continental or NHTSA. You didn't, did you? The fault is not in the tire, it's operator malfunction, plain and simple.

Funny when the shoes' on the other foot and you feel offended, isn't it?

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
How dare you insult my creditability and integrity! You misunderstood what I said. After hitting the pothole, there was no visible damage to the the sidewall. I drove 700 miles. There was no visible damage to the sidewall. The car was parked when the gash appeared. I did not commit fraud! I did not get any personal gain. I paid for a full set of Michelin tires in order to have peace of mind and so I wouldn't endanger myself, my family or other drivers. Obviously you must be a much better driver than me because I couldn't avoid the pothole. It was on I-95 in Georgia, it was at night and I hit it at speed. In my 50 years of driving I have it potholes, but I have never had a tire blowout due to the pothole.
So are you saying the gash just appeared sitting there? No correlation to the pothole?
Every day, cars are damaged by potholes, from tire, wheels, to complete suspension. Since may tires are damaged and go flat immediately, the fact that you went 700 miles shows the Conti performed better than many other tires.

The fact that you never had a flat from a pothole means nothing when hundreds of thousands of others have had damage. According to AAA it is $3Billion a year.
The Cost of Car Damages from Potholes

fubsy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
You did that yourself. And we've still not heard the rest of the story.

No, I didn't misunderstand, you haven't any creditability. Three quarters of your posts are about how crappy Continental tires are. You damaged the tire. Did you report to Continental and NHTSA you damaged the tire by hitting a pothole? Somehow I doubt it.

What you don't understand is; any tire with in a 40-45 series tire will expose more sidewall due to tire squat, including Michelin. People in general attempt to avoid potholes, not run into them with a car or on foot. You rolled the sidewall carcass. With all your griping, not for one moment did you even suggest you were the cause. You started blaming Continental for the problem you caused.

No, I got it right the first time. Now tell me you reported the damage to the tire from the pothole in your complaints to either Continental or NHTSA. You didn't did you? Guess what, had you have told Continental, they would have denied your claim and it sure looks like you decided not to comply with their request either. If you had, it would have been denied and you know it. That's exactly why you didn't comply. Either way you'd have bought another tire. The fault is not in the tire, it's operator malfunction, plain and simple.

Funny how when the shoe in on the other foot, you feel offended isn't it.
What's with you! I feel offended when I'm insulted. I'm not the only person that has had problems with the Continental tires. I didn't post about my problem until I saw that other people had issues with these tires. I felt that my issue was worthwhile to share.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Let's tone it down a bit. IF you hit a pothole and then had no visible damage, it seems unlikely that a gash would suddenly appear 700 miles down the road unless you hit another curb/pothole. I don't know if Conti tires are bad or not. They're rated very high on Consumer Reports.

A while back, I "climbed" a curb while making a right hand drive. In addition to gashing my right front tire, the wheel go scraped as well. I drove the car home and attemped to find another Conti 245/45/R19. To my surprise, it was a special order deal with at least a 5 day wait. I said piss on it, and got a whole set of Michelins. So I have 3 Conti tires in garage with only 2000 EASY miles on them. If I don't sell them, maybe down the road I'll buy another Conti 245/45/R19 and "re-Continental". Any wants them, they're for sale at a discount. I'm in the Seattle area if anyone wants to drop by for any of them.

This whole adventure brings up the question as to what to do and how to find out, if the inside of a tire is damaged by a pothole/curb. Throw out a blanket crawl under the car to inspect all the tires for inside damage? While I do like the look of the bigger wheels (19 and maybe even 20), I'm not a fan of the low profile tires we get today. Maybe we need to go back to 16 or 17" wheels with "taller" rubber.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
We're slowly getting more of the story, which you neglected to provide. How much more aren't you saying at this point?

You're skirting the question I asked you previously;

"Did you report to your dealer or Continental thru your dealer and NHTSA that you possibly damaged the tire by hitting a pothole?" "Somehow I doubt it."

If you didn't include the information you provided here which I quoted in your NHTSA complaint, then it was fraudulent. If you didn't tell your dealer about the hitting the pothole with the same tire, then you're avoiding a key situation that might have caused the initial problem.

I didn't insult you, I questioned you with regards to the validity to your comments and correlation to hitting the pot hole. The insult was and is perceived by you and you alone. Your offense is of your own making.

I question anyone's creditability or integrity, when their comments suggest otherwise. Your's certainly have and do. You obviously felt there was a correlation between hitting the pothole and the so called stationary blowout with the 3" gash or you wouldn't have mentioned it. Gashes don't just appear in sidewalls without first being damaged inadvertently or on purpose.

Last edited:

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
This whole adventure brings up the question as to what to do and how to find out, if the inside of a tire is damaged by a pothole/curb. Throw out a blanket crawl under the car to inspect all the tires for inside damage? While I do like the look of the bigger wheels (19 and maybe even 20), I'm not a fan of the low profile tires we get today. Maybe we need to go back to 16 or 17" wheels with "taller" rubber.
Exactly, this is one of the primary issues. Owners just expect nothing to happen and don't check. Additionally, lower profile tires expose more sidewall to road damage. 40-45 Series tires do not have 6 ply sidewalls. They are not impervious to road damage. So as the owner, you have to adjust accordingly and understand how important inflation is on a car a heavy as the Genesis G80. I've said already, the Conti tires need to be inflated to 40 psi. Genesis knows it and so do some of us already. The tire pressure placard in the Genesis as well as many others, are an industry minimum standard, it doesn't mean it's correct.

Last edited: