G80 Sport Tires Suck

Polar Ice

Registered Member
British Columbia, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My G80 is wearing standard Conti tires. Doing 100 km, following a truck, I couldn’t avoid running over the rock in the road (probably half the size of one’s fist) it must have been sharp because after the front left tire ran it over the rear left must have just clipped the side wall. The pressure sensor went into “warning” mode. Slow leak on the rear tire. Got to a tire store just down the road. They said the side wall had been damaged.....couldn’t be fixed, gotta replace it. These tires are unique, so nothing was available anywhere in western Canada. The order was placed with Continental in Southern Cali. It took five days to arrive and the total was CN$586.00. Now if I had had some significant mileage on the tires I would have be replacing all four tires because of the AWD setup on the Sport model. Are Conti’s junk? I don’t think so. This the first car that I’ve owned with low profile tires. They really don’t like pot holes, curbs or running over trash on the road. So, coming from driving Chevy Suburbans for the past twenty two years where I could drive over almost anything, potholes included, my take on these Conti tires is that they need to be driven with some care. Lesson learned.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My G80 is wearing standard Conti tires. Doing 100 km, following a truck, I couldn’t avoid running over the rock in the road (probably half the size of one’s fist) it must have been sharp because after the front left tire ran it over the rear left must have just clipped the side wall. The pressure sensor went into “warning” mode. Slow leak on the rear tire. Got to a tire store just down the road. They said the side wall had been damaged.....couldn’t be fixed, gotta replace it. These tires are unique, so nothing was available anywhere in western Canada. The order was placed with Continental in Southern Cali. It took five days to arrive and the total was CN$586.00. Now if I had had some significant mileage on the tires I would have be replacing all four tires because of the AWD setup on the Sport model. Are Conti’s junk? I don’t think so. This the first car that I’ve owned with low profile tires. They really don’t like pot holes, curbs or running over trash on the road. So, coming from driving Chevy Suburbans for the past twenty two years where I could drive over almost anything, potholes included, my take on these Conti tires is that they need to be driven with some care. Lesson learned.

true with any low profile sport tire.. most of the cars I've owned have had 35-45 series tires, I've never had an issue because I am well aware of how delicate they are with road debris and bad roads

rroyce46

Hasn't posted much yet...
Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I bought at 2018 3.8L G80 Standard. My car came with Michelin MXV4's. I am grateful I have not had to deal with all the problems from the Continental tires.
Me too .I have Michelin Primacy on my 2016 3.8 AWD.

Mojo

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I got a 2018 G80 Sport. The continental pro contact tx tires on them sucks. The front right tire exploded while driving on a high way and one of the back tires is missing a piece.

I took it to the dealership and they both have to be replaced. I called Continental and Genesis about these issues. Waiting for their response.

Genesis told me these tires were made "specifically" for the Genesis. The worst part is hardly any tire places have these tires in stock.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My 2018 G80 Sport HTRAC/AWD is getting her new shoes tomorrow. They are shiny new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s
Replacing factory Conti procontact TX's with 18K miles and 5/32 tread depth. Got a bubble on right front treadwall. :mad:

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I read somewhere that's not true. The foam layer easliy pulls up for a tire repair and then easliy is placed back.
I can't confirm my OEM Conti ProContact TX's are the "Conti-Silent" type, but I have/did successfully have one of them patched recently.

rbwillnj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
They also suck because they are not repairable. The “Conti-Silent” tire has a foam layer inside the tire making it impossible to patch a hole.
The ProContact TX OEM tires are Conti-Silent tires, but they are repairable. Picked up a screw in one of my rears and had it repaired. The tire store warned me the patch might not hold, but it's been just fine. I think I have about 2000 miles on it since the repair.

On the same trip I hit a pot hole and got a sidewall bubble in one of the front tires. Replaced both fronts with the Michelin Sport A/S3+. Only had 7000 miles on the tires. I'm hoping I will be able to pick up a wheel and use the good front as a full size spare.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Some one posted that the tires work better if they are a little over inflated to say 37 psi fronts and 40 rears. As I have had issues with other low profile tires in the past I decided to try this and see how it works. I suspected that the ride would be rougher and noisier. Nether seems to be true.

I inflated my tires to 37.5 fronts and 40.5 rears using a digital gauge to check them.

The results so far are that the tires seem to make less noise and they do not slap as much over raised lines in the road. Also there is very little difference in the ride quality it may have improved. Also I do not rub the bottom of the car when I go up my driveway and my mileage has increased at least 1.5 miles per gallon. I am very cautious not to hit pot holes as this is how I damage low profile tires on my other car. I notice that when I drive the car on the high way the tire pressure goes up to 40 in the front and 44 in the rear. On the tire indicator on the dash which also reads about 1 lbs higher than my digital guage. The tires may wear out faster I will keep an eye on that but so far I am much happier with this increased tire pressure.

mgg

WPB

Hasn't posted much yet...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've mentioned this in another thread but mgg if you are not aware there is a reason Genesis put staggered tires on the sport. Increased pressure means less contact area between rubber and the road. If your really pushing it or the road is slick it might make a difference whether or not you make a curve.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
@WPB Thanks for that info. I will keep it in mind. I did not have the extra pressure in the tires when there was snow here. I rarely push this car. I did not put it into sport mode until I had driven it for almost 2 months. Now that I have tried sport mode I have to admit I like to put it in sport every once in a while. It is waayy better than the sport mode on my Honda Accord in every way. Sport mode adds to the driving pleasure of this car. Still I would not say that I ever really push it so far it has handled better than any vehicle I ever owned in the snow. However I will keep this in mind.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've mentioned this in another thread but mgg if you are not aware there is a reason Genesis put staggered tires on the sport. Increased pressure means less contact area between rubber and the road. If your really pushing it or the road is slick it might make a difference whether or not you make a curve.
In theory you are correct, but I doubt there is much difference at those pressures. The stated pressures on any car are determined by testing and are a compromise between handling and a nice ride. Not to mention every brand of tire has different characteristics.

I agree with your theory but unless you have actual numbers my belief is you won't see much difference until you get to the mid 40s or higher in pressure.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I doubt many if any "sport" owners drive the car for anything other than a daily driver/commuter. they are likely not pushing it to any level that matters.

IMO the "sport" is simply yo cater to people that like a sportier look and feel over a grand touring look and feel like the Ultimate has. but at the end of the day the speed limit is 65mph in most places and your luckily if you average 35mph on your daily commute, so tire pressure for best economy and ride is whatever the driver feels is right for them.

rbwillnj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
While I agree that increased pressure "can" reduce contact if it's high enough. What does that have to do with staggered tires (which are also on the 5.0 Ultimate).

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Running 40PSI all the way around, rides and sounds ok, have seen them climb to only 43 in the front and 42 in the rear on our warmest day around here so far.....70°.
A rule of thumb used to be if a tire raises 10% psi you cold pressure is about right.
I feel safer with these pressures on the oem tires, planning to replace them around 50% tread with either Continental DSW06 or Yokohama Advin Sport.
Leaning towards the Yoko's.