G80 Sport Tires Suck

Polar Ice

Registered Member
British Columbia, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My G80 is wearing standard Conti tires. Doing 100 km, following a truck, I couldn’t avoid running over the rock in the road (probably half the size of one’s fist) it must have been sharp because after the front left tire ran it over the rear left must have just clipped the side wall. The pressure sensor went into “warning” mode. Slow leak on the rear tire. Got to a tire store just down the road. They said the side wall had been damaged.....couldn’t be fixed, gotta replace it. These tires are unique, so nothing was available anywhere in western Canada. The order was placed with Continental in Southern Cali. It took five days to arrive and the total was CN$586.00. Now if I had had some significant mileage on the tires I would have be replacing all four tires because of the AWD setup on the Sport model. Are Conti’s junk? I don’t think so. This the first car that I’ve owned with low profile tires. They really don’t like pot holes, curbs or running over trash on the road. So, coming from driving Chevy Suburbans for the past twenty two years where I could drive over almost anything, potholes included, my take on these Conti tires is that they need to be driven with some care. Lesson learned.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My G80 is wearing standard Conti tires. Doing 100 km, following a truck, I couldn’t avoid running over the rock in the road (probably half the size of one’s fist) it must have been sharp because after the front left tire ran it over the rear left must have just clipped the side wall. The pressure sensor went into “warning” mode. Slow leak on the rear tire. Got to a tire store just down the road. They said the side wall had been damaged.....couldn’t be fixed, gotta replace it. These tires are unique, so nothing was available anywhere in western Canada. The order was placed with Continental in Southern Cali. It took five days to arrive and the total was CN$586.00. Now if I had had some significant mileage on the tires I would have be replacing all four tires because of the AWD setup on the Sport model. Are Conti’s junk? I don’t think so. This the first car that I’ve owned with low profile tires. They really don’t like pot holes, curbs or running over trash on the road. So, coming from driving Chevy Suburbans for the past twenty two years where I could drive over almost anything, potholes included, my take on these Conti tires is that they need to be driven with some care. Lesson learned.

true with any low profile sport tire.. most of the cars I've owned have had 35-45 series tires, I've never had an issue because I am well aware of how delicate they are with road debris and bad roads

rroyce46

Hasn't posted much yet...
Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I bought at 2018 3.8L G80 Standard. My car came with Michelin MXV4's. I am grateful I have not had to deal with all the problems from the Continental tires.
Me too .I have Michelin Primacy on my 2016 3.8 AWD.

Mojo

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I got a 2018 G80 Sport. The continental pro contact tx tires on them sucks. The front right tire exploded while driving on a high way and one of the back tires is missing a piece.

I took it to the dealership and they both have to be replaced. I called Continental and Genesis about these issues. Waiting for their response.

Genesis told me these tires were made "specifically" for the Genesis. The worst part is hardly any tire places have these tires in stock.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My 2018 G80 Sport HTRAC/AWD is getting her new shoes tomorrow. They are shiny new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s
Replacing factory Conti procontact TX's with 18K miles and 5/32 tread depth. Got a bubble on right front treadwall. :mad:

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I read somewhere that's not true. The foam layer easliy pulls up for a tire repair and then easliy is placed back.
I can't confirm my OEM Conti ProContact TX's are the "Conti-Silent" type, but I have/did successfully have one of them patched recently.

rbwillnj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
They also suck because they are not repairable. The “Conti-Silent” tire has a foam layer inside the tire making it impossible to patch a hole.
The ProContact TX OEM tires are Conti-Silent tires, but they are repairable. Picked up a screw in one of my rears and had it repaired. The tire store warned me the patch might not hold, but it's been just fine. I think I have about 2000 miles on it since the repair.

On the same trip I hit a pot hole and got a sidewall bubble in one of the front tires. Replaced both fronts with the Michelin Sport A/S3+. Only had 7000 miles on the tires. I'm hoping I will be able to pick up a wheel and use the good front as a full size spare.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.