G80 Sport valve clatter

Dave G

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Here's an update on my 5/30 post about valve clatter. I took my 4 month old (3000 Miles) G80 Sport in for service on 5/21/18. I got it back today, 6/22. I was originally told it was defective CVVTs. After starting to tear the engine apart they discovered the problem was a manufacturing defect with the tappets on the valve chain. The tappets installed on my 3.3T apparently lacked a provision for allowing sufficient oil lubrication, hence the clatter. My service advisor advised that they found that 3 of the 24 tappets had been seriously scored due to insuffient lubrication. He said that it was only a matter of time before the other tappets started showing the same wear. They ended up pulling the heads and replacing all 24 tappets with new ones that have a new part number and that replaced the old tappet part number. What was most alarming was that this defect is more wide spread than I was lead to believe originally. I was told that it affects 3.3T's & 3.8's that were manufactured before they made the tappet part change. Since I took mine in a month ago, my dealer is dealing with a third 3.3T with the same problem. My only advise is that if you hear a valve clatter upon cold start up, talk to your service advisor. If he blows you off, talk to the service manager. BTW, because the G80 is so well insulated, that it is hard to hear the valve clatter from the drivers seat. I first heard it after I got out of the car right after starting it up in my garage.

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Here's an update on my 5/30 post about valve clatter. I took my 4 month old (3000 Miles) G80 Sport in for service on 5/21/18. I got it back today, 6/22. I was originally told it was defective CVVTs. After starting to tear the engine apart they discovered the problem was a manufacturing defect with the tappets on the valve chain. The tappets installed on my 3.3T apparently lacked a provision for allowing sufficient oil lubrication, hence the clatter. My service advisor advised that they found that 3 of the 24 tappets had been seriously scored due to insuffient lubrication. He said that it was only a matter of time before the other tappets started showing the same wear. They ended up pulling the heads and replacing all 24 tappets with new ones that have a new part number and that replaced the old tappet part number. What was most alarming was that this defect is more wide spread than I was lead to believe originally. I was told that it affects 3.3T's & 3.8's that were manufactured before they made the tappet part change. Since I took mine in a month ago, my dealer is dealing with a third 3.3T with the same problem. My only advise is that if you hear a valve clatter upon cold start up, talk to your service advisor. If he blows you off, talk to the service manager. BTW, because the G80 is so well insulated, that it is hard to hear the valve clatter from the drivers seat. I first heard it after I got out of the car right after starting it up in my garage.
rroyce46, thoughts, please.

donnykidd

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

When was the tappet change made? What is your cars build date? (Inside of drivers door)

Thanks.

Dave G

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Me build date was 6/2/17. I bought it in Feb this year. I was not able to find out when the revised tappets were released for production or to dealers. It sounds to me like Genesis should issue a recall or at least a tech bulletin.

WPB

Hasn't posted much yet...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hmmm ? I'd like to see some documentation - repair invoice, parts catalog page, or whatever. This is already a "contaminated" thread with some bogus posts. If the tappets were damaged due to poor lubrication why were the camshaft lobes not damaged too? Curious because I have a G80 3.8 ultimate, build date 6/2/17. It's quiet as can be but only have 2000 miles on it.

Dave G

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
To WPB, I am just reporting what I was told by my service advisor, as I am clueless about how a modern twin turbo actually works. My dealer had three 3.3T engines in his shop with the same problem including my G80 Sport and a G90. I resent the implication of a bogus post. Attached is the repair invoice.

Attachments

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.