• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

G80 Sport vs G80 5.0 Real-world Fuel Economy?

Kraig Wilkinson

SUSTAINING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm considering a 2020 G80, and also debating 5.0 vs 3.3T. First, I could swear both have adaptive suspension (which is mainly just adjustable shocks), but haven't driven the V8 yet. Is that the case or not? I'd also like to know which might be more reliable now, but haven't found anything on that yet. My main detraction from the V8 (only available in 'ultimate' trim) is that it looks like an old man's car. Yeah, I'm already 58, but don't feel like a grandpa yet. Ha ha. Even the wheels look boring. The Sport looks much sportier in every aspect.

Hey, would you mind telling me the difference in cabin noise from the LS (I used to own one as well) and the G80S? The only one I test drove was noisier inside than I expected. I'd use it to travel a lot, and wanted a quiet car again. Was considering a Tesla S, but can't justify one yet, especially for traveling. And they should come down in price in a few years, so maybe an EV next time. I also don't want to spend more than about $50K this time. The G80S is about $56K, but should be able to get a discount (need to look into that too). Thx.
Dont know much about the 3.3 ? IMO the v8 would be more reliable. No turbos . I am bias to the v8. Awesome power.

dingyibvs

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Wasn't there already a recall for the 3.3 for a leak related to the turbo pipes? Can't imagine a turbo being more reliable than a naturally aspirated engine that's made by the same company and has been on the market for many more years.

illusion209

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have the 3.3T and i love it. Both the V8 and 3.3T are bad on gas, drive both to see what works for you but they are not much better in fuel compared to each other. The V8 is naturally aspirated and will last longer and require less maintenance. 3.3 T winds up fast at low rpms and is fun with out having to wind out for full power. I love the boost of the 3.3 T and its ability to be able to mod it and make very good Hp and Tq numbers. Will kill a naturally aspirated V8.

Last edited:

Crimson

Registered Member
Georgia, US
Genesis Model Type
When you say bad on gas, whats your frame of reference? A Prius? My first car was a 77 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 400 cu in with 4 barrel carb. That car was bad on gas, and not fast at all. Relatively speaking, my 5.0 get somewhere between 19 & 25 Mostly highway. For the weight of this car, its very good. I'd be curious to see how a 5.0 and a 3.3T compare on the top end, or 1/4 mile numbers.

illusion209

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have a 2017 Nissan Maxima and it does far better than my G80S, its just not a car that does well in the city, low mileage per tank but i smile from ear to ear when i drive it.

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'd be curious to see how a 5.0 and a 3.3T compare on the top end, or 1/4 mile numbers.
Here are the times of the 2019 G80 3.3 Sport compared to the 2019 G80 5.0 Ultimate. The 5.0 is on the right, it's technically faster (if you believe the data). It's calculated.

Data comes from this site -

Comparison table in automobile-catalog

Attachments

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Not sure, but seeing the numbers make me wish I had the 5.0!

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I believe it is possible. the 5.0 is a beast with a few bolt on's. passing from 50 to 80 is about a 2-1/2 second blast, and if you stay in it, 100 is just 2 more seconds. I have another turbo car (2.6L turbo with about 500 HP), it's not as good as the 5.0 in several aspects. If it weren't for the open diff and traction control, I think the 5.0 would be capable of low 4's with basic bolt on's. Mine are K&N filters, true dual ram air (where the brake ducts used to go), and a full dual (x-piped) 2.5" exhaust from the exhaust manifold flanges back (and a pedal controller which doesn't add power, but makes it more useful).

I've only taken it to 130 and it was still pulling super hard for the speed, I have no doubt it would pull hard till the speed limiter kicked in.

When i built my exhaust, I ran straight pipes to see what it woudl be like, it was crazy loud, and a horrible drone at 2000 RPM, totally unbearable, but man was it a blast. sounded and drove like a built 5.0 mustang. I may put in some exhaust cutouts.

As to economy, I get a regular 23-24 MPG range of mostly highway, and no grand dad driving style. In grand dad style driving, I've pulled in regular 26-27's. CIty seems to be about 16-17.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Kraig Wilkinson

SUSTAINING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
I believe it is possible. the 5.0 is a beast with a few bolt on's. passing from 50 to 80 is about a 2-1/2 second blast, and if you stay in it, 100 is just 2 more seconds. I have another turbo car (2.6L turbo with about 500 HP), it's not as good as the 5.0 in several aspects. If it weren't for the open diff and traction control, I think the 5.0 would be capable of low 4's with basic bolt on's. Mine are K&N filters, true dual ram air (where the brake ducts used to go), and a full dual (x-piped) 2.5" exhaust from the exhaust manifold flanges back (and a pedal controller which doesn't add power, but makes it more useful).

I've only taken it to 130 and it was still pulling super hard for the speed, I have no doubt it would pull hard till the speed limiter kicked in.

When i built my exhaust, I ran straight pipes to see what it woudl be like, it was crazy loud, and a horrible drone at 2000 RPM, totally unbearable, but man was it a blast. sounded and drove like a built 5.0 mustang. I may put in some exhaust cutouts.

As to economy, I get a regular 23-24 MPG range of mostly highway, and no grand dad driving style. In grand dad style driving, I've pulled in regular 26-27's. CIty seems to be about 16-17.
just did a 1000 mile road trip and averaged 26-29 , at 75 mph give or take 10mph. 5.0 Genny , best road trip car ever.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums