• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

G80 Still a Hyundai?

PeterPNJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi Everyone,

This does not change how much I like my 2018 G80 Premium one iota, but I did find out an interesting tidbit yesterday. My wife and I are in the process of moving our family to a neighboring town in NJ and so I pulled out my registration to begin switching it over. I never looked at it too closely basically verifying that my name and address were listed correctly and that it was a black G80. However, last night I noticed for the first time that the vehicle manufacturer is listed as "HYUN". Just a curious little nugget... In NJ's eyes, I am a Hyundai owner. Not a complaint. I am happy with the car. I thought the separation was supposed to have already taken place. Don't know if this is still the case for anyone in NJ with a '19 or '20 Genesis.

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
As far as the sport goes, it should be "Genesis motors" as of 2017. For the Standard g80 I believe it was converted to Genesis Motors in 2016 but I guess branding can vary.

Overall Genesis is a division of Hyundai but that division is "Genesis". Sort of like Lexus to Toyota but a Lexus should not have Toyota branding either.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

PeterPNJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Some states never added Genesis. Not sure where the fault lies but from stories. the people at some state registries just always did it that way and are not trying to change.
Ed,

Off topic, but you look quite familiar. Were you part of the Hyundai Think Tank back in the day and part of the group invited to the NY Auto Show where we met with John Krafcik? I could be remembering a completely different person, but I seem to have a vague memory of you asking him something about an R-Spec Genesis.

Consequently, in that same meeting, I told him it's a beautiful car, but by and large people are not walking into his dealerships to buy a $50,000 car. That's not your customer. "Who is our customer?" Someone looking for great value and reliability. "What would you do with this car?" Spin it off into its own brand like Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infinity, Honda/Acura. I in no way claim credit, but the ideas were always out there!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hi Everyone,

This does not change how much I like my 2018 G80 Premium one iota, but I did find out an interesting tidbit yesterday. My wife and I are in the process of moving our family to a neighboring town in NJ and so I pulled out my registration to begin switching it over. I never looked at it too closely basically verifying that my name and address were listed correctly and that it was a black G80. However, last night I noticed for the first time that the vehicle manufacturer is listed as "HYUN". Just a curious little nugget... In NJ's eyes, I am a Hyundai owner. Not a complaint. I am happy with the car. I thought the separation was supposed to have already taken place. Don't know if this is still the case for anyone in NJ with a '19 or '20 Genesis.
Genesis is just a division of Hyundai. So yes, regardless of the badging or market label your G80 will always be an Hyundai Motor product. However, that it is not a bad thing since Hyundai makes great cars now so no big deal to me what it is called.

Unfortunately, the Hyundai association will probably kill your resale value if you bought your G80 new. Yet, the Hyundai name allows someone else to buy a used well equipped G80 for cheap.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Not that simple. A Lexus is part of Toyota but is registered as a Lexus. And in fact in some states some Genesis cars ARE registered as a Genesis.
I agree that a G80 will be labeled as an Genesis brand, however it will always be an Hyundai product. My wife's Lexus RX350 is also a Toyota product even though it is under the Lexus brand name. Hell, I buy a $5.00 Toyota Highlander oil filter for my RX350 over the marked up $11 Lexus RX350 oil filter which are indentical expect from what dealership you buy it from because both models uses the same 3.5 V6 engine made by Toyota.

My point is to answer the post's title question. "G80 still a Hyundai?" Yes, it is.

Last edited:

pmcjr

Been here awhile...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Mine was registered as Genesis in CT. When I moved to FL it was also. There was discussion about this some time back. Seems some states never added the brand, but there were a couple of dealers that submitted paperwork to various states as Hyundai too. The clerk at the dealership always did it that way.
That happened because of the clerk's discretion in your case...not because of Hyundai vs Genesis. It started with your car in CT. In FL, where I live also and where I registered my 2017 G80, my FL Registration clearly says Hyundai. The States should be doing this based on the VIN. Our G80's VIN start with KMH. This stands for Asia (South Korea), Hyundai Motor Corp, Passenger Motor Car. I think your CT dealer put down Genesis and CT DMV just accepted it as fact. I don't know if the newer models have changed the VIN scheme or not.

Hueydriver

Registered Member
Miramar, Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Checked mine and it states Hyundai here in Florida! Insurance card from State Farm indicated Genesis!

pmcjr

Been here awhile...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My Florida registration reads: "YR/MK 2019 GENS". No Hyundai references.

USAA insurance card reads "Genesis".
There appears to be no clear "rule" on this. Some DMV offices just enter what the dealer paperwork says and others go by, as in my case, the 2017 model VIN which says Hyundai Motor Works. Maybe the VIN coding has changed for the 2019 models. Does your VIN start with KMH as in the 2017 VINs? My insurance card does say Genesis, but that's USAA and not the DMV.

Dai Uy Ted

Registered Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Titusville FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Pretty sure pre-2019MY that it can vary depending on each state (but seemingly, most states registering them as Hyundais), but going forward w/ the 2019MY, should be Genesis everywhere.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums