• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

G80 Windshield repair/replacement

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had the misfortune of having a rock hit the windshield this morning on my way to work. Does anyone have experience with repairing or replacing their windshield? At the moment the cracks are have not spidered out too far from the chip but it is a significant chip and I suspect that the cracks will expand rather quickly. Anyone know the rough cost of a replacement windshield? While I know repair is a possible option the ship is right in front of the steering wheel so it is in center view when driving. That is one reason I am leaning toward replacing it. I don't really want to drive around with a big chip in my sites all the time.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Depending on your trim level, the windshield by itself is between $912 and $1,914. And you still have the molding and install on top of that.
Ouch. I have the G80 Sport, so it has the Ultimate trim level. It has the HUD and the auto wipers so I'm sure I'm looking at the higher cost windshield. I was thinking it would be around $1000. I guess I was low.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Typically not for windshield replacement unless the damage was the result of a collision, although not all insurance companies handle this situation the same way.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I had the misfortune of having a rock hit the windshield this morning on my way to work. Does anyone have experience with repairing or replacing their windshield? At the moment the cracks are have not spidered out too far from the chip but it is a significant chip and I suspect that the cracks will expand rather quickly. Anyone know the rough cost of a replacement windshield? While I know repair is a possible option the ship is right in front of the steering wheel so it is in center view when driving. That is one reason I am leaning toward replacing it. I don't really want to drive around with a big chip in my sites all the time.
Most people carry Comprehensive Insurance, which covers this type damage. Perhaps with a deductible.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I spoke to my insurance and the windshield is covered subject to deductible. The glass repair place my dealer uses is one of the preferred shops for my insurance as well so they can direct bill the insurance. I just need to schedule the repair.

phil1980

Typically not for windshield replacement unless the damage was the result of a collision, although not all insurance companies handle this situation the same way.
The general rule for any insurance company - if you file a claim and it's being paid by insurance, you are subject to a premium increase. I'm not saying it will happen 100%, but you are getting into a risk group for sure. 2 friends of mine (Geico & MetLife) got an increase.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The actual Safe Light OEM Replacement is listed for $1,899.90 with mobile service, if anyone is interested. There maybe cheaper but I'm not certain.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

phil1980

I spoke to my insurance and the windshield is covered subject to deductible. The glass repair place my dealer uses is one of the preferred shops for my insurance as well so they can direct bill the insurance. I just need to schedule the repair.
Did you ask if it is going to be an OEM windshield? I.e. Geico offers to cover 100% compatible aftermarket option for BMW, not the original one, even when you are fully covered and pay a deductible.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My insurance is covering the full cost of an OEM windshield replacement and the recalibration of the sensors less my deductible. I am working with the glass company and my dealer to see if the windshield can be replaced there so that they can just do the recalibration at the same time. I will have to wait 6 months to see if this affects my rates since I just renewed my insurance. I think the most likely thing that will happen is that I lose my 5 year claim free discount.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It won't if you have accident forgiveness:rolleyes: but beware, don't attempt to change carriers as they will report it as a claim. It's then when you'll get hit with a really big rate increase. GEICO has accident forgiveness and they'll tell you so but what they don't tell you is; they will report it as an accident, every time. It will be on your claim record for 3 years. Get ready for it, when they raise your rate at your next renewal. They will tell you it's because of higher insurers costs. I was with GEICO for years until they pulled this out of their bag of tricks. USAA gave me a much better rate for my home and auto and we switched. Low an behold GEICO reported it as an accident and USAA referenced it.;) True story and lesson learned.

Oh and they have no customer loyalty, believe me. They will tell you, sorry to see you go. They will make no offer to save your business what-so-ever. you have become a liability to them.

Last edited:

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I’ve been with Progressive for about 18 years now. I have accident forgiveness and have had very few claims. I prefer to stay with my insurer than constantly switching. I’ve yet to find any carriers giving me any significant savings the few times I’ve checked other rates when it was time to review.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The car is in and getting the replacement windshield and recalibration today. When I dropped the car of at the dealer the Genesis service manager pulled the car up, got and said, wow, the chip is right in front of your face. It will be nice to get this fixed.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I don’t have the bill yet. My out of pocket will be $500. Insurance is covering the rest. I’ll know the total when I pick it up.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums