G90 for price of G80 Sport???

Asweetman13

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Hi all. New to the forum but have been researching the G80 Sport for a couple months now. I have a good dilemma to have, and here it is. Basically my local dealer is offering me a 2017 G90 Premium 3.3t AWD for 55K plus additional incentives because the vehicle was used as a demo and has 3k miles on the odometer. I was really looking at the G80 Sport because it speaks to me more personally, however I am always up for a great bargain...if that's what this is. What's everyone's initial thoughts on going with the more luxury and size of the G90 compared to the sporty aesthetics of the G80 Sport? I also posted on the G80 page for additional owner thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Depends on if you want the bigger car or more sporty. What kind of driving do you do mostly.
Now if it were the 5.0 ultimate AWD I'd say consider it, but if you wait 2 months there may be
some CPO G90s on the market in the middle to upper $40s.
If you do a lot of highway driving the G90 is nice. Mostly city driving I'd go for the G80 sport.
I have the 2018 G90 ultimate, but I only put about 2000 to 3000 city miles on it per year and
another 12,000 highway miles each year. Plus the rear screens for the grand children, made a
difference. I tried the G80 and had a 2015 KIA K900 I traded in. The G90 drives and handles
a lot better, on the highway, than either of those.
The G80 sport is also cheaper for insurance than the G90. Remember it is only a premium.
Have you checked out the G70, that is nice if you don't need the extra room

Last edited:

Asweetman13

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
First off, thanks for the advice! So, I’m single 42, daughter is in college, and very rarely have passengers. Definitely thinking I’m going with the G80. I personnally love the front fascia, copper accents, and wheel design. Most of my driving is highway and I pack on about 20k annually, but coming from a Roush package F150, I know the ride will be infinitely better. The hardest part will be adjusting to the lower ride height. Thanks again!

secundinus

SUPPORTING MEMBER
National Capital Region
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I’d also factor in if this is going to be your “last car” or just another car to meet a want like a sports car. I considered going with something “fun” and sports car like but I went with the 5.0 ultimate AWD as I wanted the commuting cruiser & figured if I need the sports car fix, I’ll just splurge during a rental.

Echo Gene2 theme and the point about the premium vs ultimate. If it were an ultimate, then a better value that might make you consider more.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
First off, thanks for the advice! So, I’m single 42, daughter is in college, and very rarely have passengers. Definitely thinking I’m going with the G80. I personnally love the front fascia, copper accents, and wheel design. Most of my driving is highway and I pack on about 20k annually, but coming from a Roush package F150, I know the ride will be infinitely better. The hardest part will be adjusting to the lower ride height. Thanks again!
Thought about this again. Get the Sport.

Years ago, the owner of the company where I worked had a big assed Cadillac. Every once in a while he would have me use it for something. I was about 30 at the time and did not want to be seen driving such a car.

Many years later, my early 20s grandson did not like driving my Buick.

Get the Sport.

leggy

Been here awhile...
SoCal
$55k for demo 2017 G90 is too much. If you can wait for couple of months when 2019 models hit the showrooms then you can get even better deals. Maybe that same car you can get it for 40-45k

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
By all means go to a dealership and drive a G80 sport, then drive the G90, same day same route.
If dealer doesn't want to let you do that, go to another dealership. Don't forget to drive on the highway
as you do a lot of miles on the highway.
Everyone is different so don't just go by what we say. The G80 sport is newer, rides fine, and the
insurance is cheaper.
I drove both when I was looking, ride is very similar I just got a better vibe on the interior of the G90
But then I'm an old f--t. Then to wife wanted the rear seat screens for the grand children. You don't
have that as a factor no rear seat screens in 2017.
Listen to everyone if going with the G90, wait 2 months or get a really good discount from dealer.
Remember it is only a premium. So you give up LED headlights, 14-way power for the rear right seat,
12-way power for the rear left seat, rear seat memory, ventilation on the rear seats, and rear vanity
mirrors. No reclining rear seats, with the premium. If you never use the rear seats only difference is
LED headlights with dynamic bending
I'd stick with the G80 sport and don't pay the MSRP they have deals and you should be able to get
several thousand off the dealers asking price.
Also remember you get Apple CarPlay, Android Auto with the G80 but not in the G90

Last edited:

ogogolby

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Boston
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
3 yrs. ago, I traded my S550 in AMG trim for a G80 3.8 awd and loved the car so much I just got a G90 ultimate 5.0. There’s nothing like 8 cylinders but the 90’s characteristics are so different from both cars I highly recommend you spend time with both vehicles before choosing. Suspect the residual value of the Sport will be better. Enjoy!

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I bought a brand new 2018 G80 Sport for about $50K. I might get the G90 if I was going to be a uber driver. LOL!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.