G90 Heater ?

rroyce46

Hasn't posted much yet...
Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
@cheech My 2016 3.8 also has the same issue.
I am in Calgary. Move your climate control to your feet & it will help.
I find it somewhat annoying but not a big flaw & we have had -27c all this week.Eventually the car is warm enough.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
You have a coolant leak inside the engine. It is the o rings on internal pipes that run down the center of the engine that are leaking and you need to get it in for repair work. They have to take the top of the engine off to make the repair and it will take a few days. Check your coolant level. The engine can over heat and you will have to get it towed if you don't get it fixed soon.
I had same problem and it overheated on the Phx freeway. Drove 5 miles to dealership with engine overheated sign on and gage at hottest. Perform TSB 18 at 017 1. Replace leaking o ring. In the shop 8 days.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I had same problem and it overheated on the Phx freeway. Drove 5 miles to dealership with engine overheated sign on and gage at hottest. Perform TSB 18 at 017 1. Replace leaking o ring. In the shop 8 days.

onexcite

Pacific NW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
My '17 G90 5.0 heater acting up today. The engine warmed up and driving for 30 minutes then it won't blow out hot air. The ambient temp around 37F and the radiator fan keep running at high speed. Turn off the engine and the radiator fan still running really loud, re-start the engine won't solve the issues. The temperature gauge needle stays at the middle and no coolant smell. The coolant reservoir has coolant inside higher than high mark. Turn off the engine again and radiator fan still running loud, start the engine and playing with HVAC dial won't help. After a couple of minutes, the radiator fan slows down but still no hot air. Start driving for 10 minutes then the hot air blow out intermit and after 30 minutes it is working back to normal. The car has less than 14K miles and no check engine light. I have the radiator fan running recorded on video.
Do you think this TSB 18-AT-017 apply to my issues?

lou1119

California
My '17 G90 5.0 heater acting up today. The engine warmed up and driving for 30 minutes then it won't blow out hot air. The ambient temp around 37F and the radiator fan keep running at high speed. Turn off the engine and the radiator fan still running really loud, re-start the engine won't solve the issues. The temperature gauge needle stays at the middle and no coolant smell. The coolant reservoir has coolant inside higher than high mark. Turn off the engine again and radiator fan still running loud, start the engine and playing with HVAC dial won't help. After a couple of minutes, the radiator fan slows down but still no hot air. Start driving for 10 minutes then the hot air blow out intermit and after 30 minutes it is working back to normal. The car has less than 14K miles and no check engine light. I have the radiator fan running recorded on video.
That is the same thing that I experienced and it was solved under the TSB 18. It took a few days to repair the issue and all is well now. Take it to the dealer.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
This is exactly what happened to me two weeks ago on my 2018 G90 v8. The smell was gone because it started 10 months ago. My heater did not work and I though it was operator error. My radiator fan did that for about a week before my Engine overheat light came on and the gage read all the way to hot. Take the car in immediately.

onexcite

Pacific NW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
This is exactly what happened to me two weeks ago on my 2018 G90 v8. The smell was gone because it started 10 months ago. My heater did not work and I though it was operator error. My radiator fan did that for about a week before my Engine overheat light came on and the gage read all the way to hot. Take the car in immediately.
I stop by the first Hyundai dealer and was told they no longer able to service Genesis. Called 2 other dealers and they both won't have any loaner available. And their earliest schedule will be Tuesday next week. LOL
Very frustrated.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I stop by the first Hyundai dealer and was told they no longer able to service Genesis. Called 2 other dealers and they both won't have any loaner available. And their earliest schedule will be Tuesday next week. LOL
Very frustrated.
I live in Arizona. Where do you live? I hope you don't overhead on the freeway like I did. It took 8 days for the repair because of obtaining parts - o rings.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I stop by the first Hyundai dealer and was told they no longer able to service Genesis.
From everything we have been told this is not correct. Hyundai dealers can perform warranty work/service on any pre-2019 Genesis model and be reimbursed for it. It is only starting with the 2019s that you must use a Genesis dealer. Sound like you have other dealers near you which will take care of you, if not, give Genesis customer care a call and they will take care of getting you a place.

onexcite

Pacific NW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I live in Arizona. Where do you live? I hope you don't overhead on the freeway like I did. It took 8 days for the repair because of obtaining parts - o rings.
I'm in Seattle. And it really cold now without heat in the car.

I called Genesis and they said if I rent a car they might reimburse me for up to 5 days. Also while driving the car waiting for my appointment schedule and the engine gets damage they will cover it under warranty. Un-acceptable answer from Genesis.

The little o-ring could potentially screw up Genesis brand big time.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Call Brian at 714 594 1524. He's next level up for Genesis Customer Care west of the Mississippi. He has helped me and is willing to listen and understands. I agree, this whole issue is not being handled well by Genesis. Keeping Hyundai in the middle of it is making it worse. I was not aware of the 2019 issue to have cars only at Genesis. In Phx/Scottsdale in May they will be opening a Genesis dealership. This is the 3rd time they have tried to launch a high end car. I could do a better job coordinating this issue than Genesis is doing simply by using this forum.

vasy

Getting familiar with the group...
VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I think your car has lost coolant when it's being driven due to a leak. When the engine is shut off and cooling down, the vacuum in the cooling system sucks in air due to the leak. This creates air pockets in the cooling system. These air pockets cause the heater to malfunction. You lost enough coolant to cause the engine temp to be higher than normal (105 degrees C in G90) so the radiator fan kept running even when the engine was off. But you did not lose so much coolant as to cause a real overheat (indicated by warning message on dash). I bet if you open the metal radiator cap (make sure engine is totally cold), the coolant level in the radiator is very low. The overflow reservoir might still have some coolant but the radiator is low.

You need to get your car to a dealer. If you have to drive the car before going to the dealer, you should add coolant to the radiator. If Hyundai brand coolant is not available, you can add distilled water but keep in mind too much water might lose freeze protection.

onexcite

Pacific NW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I just check the coolant reservoir again after the car had sat for 8 hours and it's empty. Definitely, it must be leaking somewhere.
Lucky for me, I just did an over 3000 miles road trip last month from Seattle to San Francisco then Vegas and Lake Tahoe cruising through many deserts and rural area with no traffic or cell reception. It would be a nightmare to get strange in the middle of nowhere during that trip.

vasy

Getting familiar with the group...
VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I just check the coolant reservoir again after the car had sat for 8 hours and it's empty. Definitely, it must be leaking somewhere.
Lucky for me, I just did an over 3000 miles road trip last month from Seattle to San Francisco then Vegas and Lake Tahoe cruising through many deserts and rural area with no traffic or cell reception. It would be a nightmare to get strange in the middle of nowhere during that trip.
Just to add, if you buy Hyundai brand long life coolant (blue/green color), you need to mix it with distilled water before pouring it to the cooling system, 50% water to coolant. I'd avoid using other brand unless in an emergency. But if you're leasing the car or plan to get rid of the car in the next few years, it might not matter much.

onexcite

Pacific NW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Just to add, if you buy Hyundai brand long life coolant (blue/green color), you need to mix it with distilled water before pouring it to the cooling system, 50% water to coolant. I'd avoid using other brand unless in an emergency. But if you're leasing the car or plan to get rid of the car in the next few years, it might not matter much.
I'm leasing and really want to keep the car but it may change depending on how thing turns out. I'll try to drop it at the dealer tomorrow and see what they will do. I'll provide them with information on this forum.

Try to look up for the TSB on this site but couldn't find one under both Hyundai or Genesis: BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products and Turbochargers | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

In my opinion, soon or later every Genesis will need to perform this TSB o-ring things. It's just a matter of time the o-ring will fail.

For folks without the issue, keep an eye on your coolant level and have a gallon of coolant in your trunk while taking road trip.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I am a victim of this o ring problem. See this whole chain above. Symptoms were smelling coolant, the heater not working, and a fan sound after turning the car off. I had all the same symptoms when my G90 5.0 2018 overheated with 8000 miles on a Phoenix freeway one week after returning from a road trip from Phoenix to San Diego using Interstate 8 a few miles from the Mexico border. Genesis needs a recall. There is a TSB out. With all the recalls on the Hyundai's and Kia's today. They are really going to have their hands full. This is the first time I have leased a car, and very glad this is a lease, as I am turning it in as soon as the lease is up.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.