Gas smell in the cabin after getting off the highway

kocyk123

Hasn't posted much yet...
Streamwood, IL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hi All,

I have been smelling gas in the cabin every time when getting off the higway. Car has 42k miles. Any suggestions? Had same issue with my Audi A8 many years ago and turned out to be a seal on the cover of the gas tank in the trunk...

Thanks!
PK

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
I’d be for having the dealer service dept checking this out ASAP.
As you said it’s most likely a seal leaking.

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Did you have this resolved? I have the same issue with my G80

kocyk123

Streamwood, IL
Genesis Model Type
Unfortunately nothing. I will ask them to document my problem in the system next time I do oil change and then I will wait until my car sets itself on fire. Good thing I don’t smoke.

waz

Registered Member
"I have been smelling gas in the cabin every time when getting off the highway. "

Maybe your wife shouldn't have had that mega-bean burrito.

Just kiddin'.

I assume you're not getting a CEL? If you are, have an auto parts store check for codes.

Can you tell whether the gasoline smell is coming from the engine compartment or from inside the cabin?
If you can't tell, next time it does it pull over, open the hood and check if you can smell gas.

Identifying where the smell is coming from will go a long way towards fixing the problem.
If it's under the hood, it could be the Crankcase Emission Control System or Evaporative Emission Control System

Have your dealer test the canister close valve, the EVAP canister, and the fuel tank vapor vent hose between the EVAP canister and air filter.

If it's from the cabin, have them inspect the fuel filler hose/pipe to see if it's pinched, kinked or blocked.

kocyk123

Streamwood, IL
Genesis Model Type
I will definitely try that and will get back with results.

kocyk123

Streamwood, IL
Genesis Model Type
"I have been smelling gas in the cabin every time when getting off the highway. "

Maybe your wife shouldn't have had that mega-bean burrito.

Just kiddin'.

I assume you're not getting a CEL? If you are, have an auto parts store check for codes.

Can you tell whether the gasoline smell is coming from the engine compartment or from inside the cabin?
If you can't tell, next time it does it pull over, open the hood and check if you can smell gas.

Identifying where the smell is coming from will go a long way towards fixing the problem.
If it's under the hood, it could be the Crankcase Emission Control System or Evaporative Emission Control System

Have your dealer test the canister close valve, the EVAP canister, and the fuel tank vapor vent hose between the EVAP canister and air filter.

If it's from the cabin, have them inspect the fuel filler hose/pipe to see if it's pinched, kinked or blocked.
I haven't identified where the smell is coming from but I did a little experiment and when getting off the highway to a complete stop, I put on the recirc mode before stopping and never smell the gas. Although I don't want to be driving with recirc mode on beacuse in the winter it fogs up the windows. The most intense smell I get is when I get back home from work or a longer highway drive (25 mins or more) and back up to the driveway or garage. It smells the strongest to the point where I would be scared to light up the cigarette (if I smoked). Sometimes I close the garage door and pop the hood but I don't smell anything gas like.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.