GDI Gas Direct Injection

henryb

Getting familiar with the group...
I did not know what GDI stood for ....so looked it up. There are concerns about loss of power because of carbon build up on the intake valves. Some recommend using really premium gas all the time, driving engine at high revs every so often, adding fuel additives.....What is the consensus here? Is it a problem with the 3.8?
Here a link to what I was reading: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/05/ask-an-engineer-gdi-problems-in-a-nutshell/

shagnat

Registered Member
True..... use "Top Tier" gasoline and you should be ok but add a great cleaner about 2-3 times per year. Cheap gas doesn't have the necessary additives that top tier gas does. Hence, the build up of carbon.

Hope this helps.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
People generally recommend Techron by Chevron for this sort of thing.

Be careful when buying though. I ordered a carton of 20 oz containers from Amazon ---- I received 12 oz containers.

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
Looking at Techron on Amazon and see it comes in either a 12 oz or a 20 oz bottle.
On a normal passenger car say a Genesis how much would normally be added to a tank of fuel?

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
Looking at Techron on Amazon and see it comes in either a 12 oz or a 20 oz bottle.
On a normal passenger car say a Genesis how much would normally be added to a tank of fuel?
Based on my experience with Amazon, you'll get a 12 oz. bottle no matter what you order. So that's what you add. The label says 12 oz. treats 12 gallons, so go figure. My Genny holds about 20 gallons, so a 20 oz. bottle would be fine - if you can get it.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
A good place to buy a 6-pack of Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner is at Costco if you have a membership. Plus, it seems to go on sale about twice a year for a really deep discount.

However, I am not sure that a fuel injector cleaner alone will solve the issues created by GDI. As the link above states "In a GDI engine, the gasoline doesn’t touch intake side of the valve. As a result, the droplets have a tendency to bake onto the valve and significantly reduce performance."

Some manufacturers produce hybrid GDI designs which sprays some fuel on the GDI valves to keep them clean. Here is a quote from Consumer Reports: "Other automakers have devised an engineering fix that works while the car is oper*ating. It involves modifying the engine to spray a small amount of fuel directly onto the valves to help keep them clean." This is done with a FI and GDI for each cylinder. I believe that Toyota has a V6 with this feature.

Also, I have heard that Honda has introduced scavenging technology and new intake port design to combat the issue of GDI carbon buildup, but don't have any details on that.

One recommendation I have seen to keep the valves clean is to use a high quality synthetic motor oil. Although the intake side of the valves don't get gas sprayed on them in a GDI engine, there is apparently oil sprayed on the values. I have found that Mobil 1 keeps engines exceptionally clean (Especially Mobil 1 EP 5W-30).

henryb

thanks you all. I use shell high octane because I get Winn Dixie fuel perks....never pay more than 50 cents a gallon!. I have used Techron in the past on my BMW's and will again. The Hyundai dealer has been using a blended oil but am thinking to switch to Mobil 1 5 w 30 or 40 as suggested Cant hurt anyway. My 2012 Genesis , named Blue, replaced my 1999 740il that got flooded in the hurricane here, :-(

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The Hyundai dealer has been using a blended oil but am thinking to switch to Mobil 1 5 w 30 or 40 as suggested(
5W-40 or 0W-40 is too high of a viscosity for the Genesis engines. Also, make sure that you don't use a European Formula oil (it will say so on the package if sold in the US).

Mobil 1 5W-30 EP (extended protection) is an excellent oil, and a 5-quart jug at Walmart is only about $27. For extremely cold climates, Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE is a good choice.

jimmy buoy

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
From articles on DGI engines, it appears that the cleaners sent in fuel being delivered to the engine will not make much difference to the build up of carbon on the valves whatsoever. Instead, periodically use a product such as Seafoam spray to help remove carbon from the combustion chambers. (no affiliation with this product - just a fan)

https://youtu.be/O5N_Z1W6mho

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
From articles on DGI engines, it appears that the cleaners sent in fuel being delivered to the engine will not make much difference to the build up of carbon on the valves whatsoever. Instead, periodically use a product such as Seafoam spray to help remove carbon from the combustion chambers. (no affiliation with this product - just a fan)

https://youtu.be/O5N_Z1W6mho
The problem is that you would have to remove the intake manifold (or something similar) to get it to the right place. Putting it in the gas would make no difference. Merely putting it in the gas has no effect, because there is no gas that hits the intake side of the valves on a GDI engine.

jimmy buoy

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The problem is that you would have to remove the intake manifold (or something similar) to get it to the right place. Putting it in the gas would make no difference. Merely putting it in the gas has no effect, because there is no gas that hits the intake side of the valves on a GDI engine.
That's why this is a solution to the problem. The video clearly shows how this product's special "straw" injects the cleaner directly into the intake, bypassing the sensors which could be damaged if sprayed. This product is NOT designed to be put in the gas...

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
That's why this is a solution to the problem. The video clearly shows how this product's special "straw" injects the cleaner directly into the intake, bypassing the sensors which could be damaged if sprayed. This product is NOT designed to be put in the gas...
Agreed, but not many are going to want do what is necessary to inject the cleaner directly into the intake.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
A good place to buy a 6-pack of Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner is at Costco if you have a membership. Plus, it seems to go on sale about twice a year for a really deep discount.
I bought 20 oz bottles at Amazon - and received 12 oz. bottles.

Costco is currently selling 6 packs of 16 oz bottles with a coupon of $7 off.

But, they all recommend a treatment ratio of 1 oz per gal. Go figure - follow the money trail.

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
So does this mean when Chevron puts 10,000 gallons of fuel in the tanks at your local station it has 10,000 oz. of Techron in it?😂

Bill K

Registered Member
Chicagoland
Hyundai recommends either buying regular gas from a Tier one supplier, for the V6 engine, OR using their fuel system cleaner. You would think that they would know more about their cars than shade tree mechanics do. For the V8, Hyundai says that Premium gas will add a few horsepower to the engines output. I tend to follow what Hyundai puts down in black and white.

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
NC
Genesis Model Type
Th injection system cleaning is part of your 60k mile service if I remember correctly

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Th injection system cleaning is part of your 60k mile service if I remember correctly
That probably just includes pouring a bottle of fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank, which doesn't really work well for cleaning the intake side of the valves on GDI engines.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.