Gen2 5.0 improving throttle response

2015Gen5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hi guys im wondering what i can do to improve the lagged throttle response on my Gen2 5.0?

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Confirmed. I just installed a Sprint booster and my car feels like a just did an engine swap to a larger engine going by how the engine now feels off the line. I now actually feel that I have a 400+ hp engine.

2015Gen5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Confirmed. I just installed a Sprint booster and my car feels like a just did an engine swap to a larger engine going by how the engine now feels off the line. I now actually feel that I have a 400+ hp engine.
What i ended up doing is slotting the airbox like the lexus F type and some k&n. Fixed the lagging rpms, however mpg is 1mpg lower. Not a big deal for me as long as the throttle response is 50% better.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
What i ended up doing is slotting the airbox like the lexus F type and some k&n. Fixed the lagging rpms, however mpg is 1mpg lower. Not a big deal for me as long as the throttle response is 50% better.
Slotted or putting holes in the stock air box is an old trick that have been used for years and many owners have claimed to have much success in gaining horsepower and engine response by doing it. My cousin swear that he gained a lot of horsepower by putting holes in his old 2005 VW GTI air box. He claimed his turbo spooled up faster which made more power.

2015Gen5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Are you refering to the airfilter housing? Would this work on the 3.8 sedan?
Yes airbox where the filter sits. Make sure to put holes opposite side of engine.

2015Gen5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
LOL. Do not forget to mention that you put holes on the bottom section of the box under the air filter.

We do not want anyone put holes in the upper section over the filter.:)
Yes, NOT the top. Im actually also reading in some mustang forums on adjusting the brushes inside the pedal box to improve lag as well. Will start a new thread once attempted.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I went with Sprint booster V3 because it was smaller and have gone through a few innovative changes over the years. A few other similar products seems less refined. However, I bet they all work in a similar manner including the VR Power Pedal.

I just do not know where to mount the VR Power Pedal so it will not be an eye sore. The Sprint Booster controller is smaller and have metal logo button so it look more upscale in my opinion. The VR PP have a very cheap looking box with only an LED; works but looks very out of place inside the Genesis interior in my opinion unless you really hide it.

Last edited:

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Felcro, beside the console or below the start button the dash. The LED is actually a button for the different modes.

Last edited:

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Felcro, beside the console or below the start button the dash. The LED is actually a button for the different modes.
Well, that will work I guess.:)

I still like the look of the Sprint Booster better, but I bet both brands does the same job equally well. So it will come down to aesthetics and budget to which is the best choice.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.