General GV70 questions

deewan

Registered Member
Cedar Rapids, IA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
As I continue my long wait for my GV70 to be built and delivered, I have a few questions I was curious if owners could answer.

TPMS - As with all my cars I plan to have a set of summer tires and a set of dedicated winter tires. Normally what I've done is used the OEM wheels and installed winter tires and then buy aftermarket or preferred OEM wheels for summer. With my current Ford Explorer I can simply swap out the two sets of tires and the car automatically sense the TPMS valve in each tire and things are ready to go. My wife's Audi S4 has no TPMS valve or band in the wheel but instead uses an algorithm to calculate tire rotations and a PSI difference. With a slightly older Ford Expedition each wheel has a TPMS valve which requires programing to the car using a $40 tool I purchased on Amazon and me performing a fancy song and dance involving the brake pedal, ignition switch and horn.

The GV70 appears to use TPMS values in each tire. Can anyone confirm if there is anything special required to swap out tires or to program the TPMS to the car after a swap?

Exterior Paint Quality - I take great pride in keeping my cars clean and looking brand new, washing them by hand weekly and using several specialized products to keep them shiny. Because of where I live and the driving I do, none of my current vehicles have any major paint chips on the front end due to road debris. For that reason none of the cars have a protective film on the hood and I had not planned to get a protective film on the GV70. However, my neighbor recently purchased a new Mazda CX-7 and within 4 months of driving she has several small paint chips on her front hood. The paint on her Mazda seems much thinner than the Audi and Ford and more inclined to chip on the Mazda.

My question for GV70 owners is, how is the paint holding up? Any worries about not having a protective film and seeing paint chips due to thin paint after a few months of ownership.

Reversible Cargo Tray - with all my other cars I have WeatherTech cargo or trunk liners to protect from stains and rips as I normally carry golf club bags and shoes in the back. I love the Weathertech stuff and their cargo liners have kept the carpet in amazing condition. I am looking at possibly purchasing the Genesis reversible cargo tray and was curious if anyone who had purchased it can comment on it's quality and easy to flip from rugged protective side to the carpet side.

Genesis Service - I understand the oil changes and service for the Genesis Concierge, however I was curious if the Genesis maintenance will always be performed at a Genesis dealership or if it can also be done by Genesis at a Hyundai dealership. I have a Hyundai dealership about 4 miles from my house but the Genesis dealership where I purchased the car and the closest Genesis dealership is about 50 miles away. Any chance Genesis Concierge takes the GV70 to the Hyundai service department? I won't really mind as long as they are all trained properly.

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide. I'm really excited to get the GV70 in the garage.

Last edited:

mnfats95

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
As I continue my long wait for my GV70 to be built and delivered, I have a few questions I was curious if owners could answer.

TPMS - As with all my cars I plan to have a set of summer tires and a set of dedicated winter tires. Normally what I've done is used the OEM wheels and installed winter tires and then buy aftermarket or preferred OEM wheels for summer. With my current Ford Explorer I can simply swap out the two sets of tires and the car automatically sense the TPMS valve in each tire and things are ready to go. My wife's Audi S4 has no TPMS valve or band in the wheel but instead uses an algorithm to calculate tire rotations and a PSI difference. With a slightly older Ford Expedition each wheel has a TPMS valve which requires programing to the car using a $40 tool I purchased on Amazon and me performing a fancy song and dance involving the brake pedal, ignition switch and horn.

The GV70 appears to use TPMS values in each tire. Can anyone confirm if there is anything special required to swap out tires or to program the TPMS to the car after a swap?

Exterior Paint Quality - I take great pride in keeping my cars clean and looking brand new, washing them by hand weekly and using several specialized products to keep them shiny. Because of where I live and the driving I do, none of my current vehicles have any major paint chips on the front end due to road debris. For that reason none of the cars have a protective film on the hood and I had not planned to get a protective film on the GV70. However, my neighbor recently purchased a new Mazda CX-7 and within 4 months of driving she has several small paint chips on her front hood. The paint on her Mazda seems much thinner than the Audi and Ford and more inclined to chip on the Mazda.

My question for GV70 owners is, how is the paint holding up? Any worries about not having a protective film and seeing paint chips due to thin paint after a few months of ownership.

Reversible Cargo Tray - with all my other cars I have WeatherTech cargo or trunk liners to protect from stains and rips as I normally carry golf club bags and shoes in the back. I love the Weathertech stuff and their cargo liners have kept the carpet in amazing condition. I am looking at possibly purchasing the Genesis reversible cargo tray and was curious if anyone who had purchased it can comment on it's quality and easy to flip from rugged protective side to the carpet side.

Genesis Service - I understand the oil changes and service for the Genesis Concierge, however I was curious if the Genesis maintenance will always be performed at a Genesis dealership or if it can also be done by Genesis at a Hyundai dealership. I have a Hyundai dealership about 4 miles from my house but the Genesis dealership where I purchased the car and the closest Genesis dealership is about 50 miles away. Any chance Genesis Concierge takes the GV70 to the Hyundai service department? I won't really mind as long as they are all trained properly.

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide. I'm really excited to get the GV70 in the garage.
No idea on the TPMS sorry.

Paint is fine so far but I did have the front, hood, front fenders, and A pillars done with protective film. Windshield seems prone to pitting though. I think others have mentioned that about the windshield too.

Cargo tray is fine. It's not a stiff as the weathertech ones I have had, but it does fine for me. I have it rubber side up always. It doesn't have much of a ridge so grass/debris from my golf bag and cart will get under it, but I've never not been able to vacuum that up.

I believe Genesis trained Service Technicians work on them, but I have no proof of that.

ultra63

Been here awhile...
FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70

living in Florida I cannot comment on switching to winter tires.
the paint seems to be of good quality though I did have a 10H ceramic coating applied.
the Genesis cargo tray was included on my vehicle but does not seem to be of very high quality but Weathertech still does not have a cargo tray available for the GV70.
the vast majority of Genesis vehicles are sold by Hyundai dealers so you should not have any trouble getting service locally if they already sell Genesis vehicles. The so-called concierge service seems to be something that exists more in the advertisements than in the real world.

deewan

Registered Member
Cedar Rapids, IA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
living in Florida I cannot comment on switching to winter tires.
the paint seems to be of good quality though I did have a 10H ceramic coating applied.
the Genesis cargo tray was included on my vehicle but does not seem to be of very high quality but Weathertech still does not have a cargo tray available for the GV70.
the vast majority of Genesis vehicles are sold by Hyundai dealers so you should not have any trouble getting service locally if they already sell Genesis vehicles. The so-called concierge service seems to be something that exists more in the advertisements than in the real world.
Thanks.

I think I'll wait for WeatherTech to come out with a cargo liner.

I won't be using ceramic coating as the product doesn't help protect the paint against dings, scratches, rock chips etc. And I hate the issues once the ceramic coating starts to break down and needs to be striped off the car before another coat can be applied. Instead I use a sealant and wax combo. It involves more work but something I can do and something I enjoy.

I think if I use the Genesis Concierge they will take it to the Genesis dealer. Wasn't sure if they would pickup and take it to the Hyundai dealer to save them transport time.

dckimmd

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Thanks.

I think I'll wait for WeatherTech to come out with a cargo liner.

I won't be using ceramic coating as the product doesn't help protect the paint against dings, scratches, rock chips etc. And I hate the issues once the ceramic coating starts to break down and needs to be striped off the car before another coat can be applied. Instead I use a sealant and wax combo. It involves more work but something I can do and something I enjoy.

I think if I use the Genesis Concierge they will take it to the Genesis dealer. Wasn't sure if they would pickup and take it to the Hyundai dealer to save them transport time.
Regarding the concierge service. This service originates from the dealer. The valet brings a loaner car to you and leaves it and takes your car.
So, if you call the Genesis dealer and arrange concierge with them, they'll bring it to their dealership. It's unlikely they'll bring it to someone else. It may just be easier getting done at the Hyundai dealership (assuming they sell Genesis there). Remember also, that you're adding an extra 100 miles round trip on your car every time you have service done at that genesis dealer.
I just had Concierge service yesterday by a Hyundai dealer and it was seamless.

Johninbc

Kamloops, BC Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Regarding service and warranty work (Canada). My closest Genesis dealer is two hours away and that is where I ordered my GV70. Still waiting for delivery. I went to the local Hyundai dealer and spoke to the service manager about service work. They won't touch the Genesis. I don't mind driving to the Genesis dealer once a year for service but I'm not sure what will happen if something breaks. I'll need to sort that out with Genesis before I take delivery.

dckimmd

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Regarding service and warranty work (Canada). My closest Genesis dealer is two hours away and that is where I ordered my GV70. Still waiting for delivery. I went to the local Hyundai dealer and spoke to the service manager about service work. They won't touch the Genesis. I don't mind driving to the Genesis dealer once a year for service but I'm not sure what will happen if something breaks. I'll need to sort that out with Genesis before I take delivery.
FYI. Genesis recommends every 6 month or 7500 miles oil change which is included I think for 3 years. I have 6 months and 3500 miles. Service just done.

Lionorion

2022 GV70 Sport Advanced Mauna Red/Sevilla Red
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mukilteo
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70

Regarding the paint, I highly recommend ceramic coating.

Your other questions I can’t answer, however I will be able to report back in a bit after my first scheduled oil change in regards to Genesis service.

deewan

Registered Member
Cedar Rapids, IA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Regarding the paint, I highly recommend ceramic coating.

Your other questions I can’t answer, however I will be able to report back in a bit after my first scheduled oil change in regards to Genesis service.
Thanks for the inputs.

Johninbc I think that answers my question I'm best just having Genesis take care of my service. Not a big deal.

Lionorion - I won’t be doing ceramic coating. Over priced and adds no value above the products I use which are easier to apply and maintain. Unless people simply don't maintain their paint, ceramic coatings are not a great value as they are basically just a long term wax that doesn't wash away after a couple months. The sealants and waxes I use offer much better gloss, shine and hydroponic properties than a ceramic coating and for a lot less money.

Last edited:

Lionorion

2022 GV70 Sport Advanced Mauna Red/Sevilla Red
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mukilteo
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Thanks for the inputs.

Johninbc I think that answers my question I'm best just having Genesis take care of my service. Not a big deal.

Lionorion - I won’t be doing ceramic coating. Over priced and adds no value above the products I use which are easier to apply and maintain. Unless people simply don't maintain their paint, ceramic coatings are not a great value as they are basically just a long term wax that doesn't wash away after a couple months. The sealants and waxes I use offer much better gloss, shine and hydroponic properties than a ceramic coating and for a lot less money.
To each his own.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Dee-Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70

TPMS - I got an 18" winter tire package through Genesis. When they did the swap from my 21", the service department told me it required the TPMS sensor to be programmed to the car because of the change. Don't know procedures or anything else so can't comment further.

Exterior Paint Quality - The paint is nice, as for quality I don't currently have any issues with it. It seems the best way to protect any car paint is PPF. I did a full front end PPF on mine not long after. I do a bit of driving and my other car's front end is quite beat up and I didn't want this one to end up the same way. I can't say if it's a non-luxury car or paint quality thing as to why it's like that but since this one is new I figured I'd get the PPF done right away.

Reversible Cargo Tray - I have an all purpose cargo liner from Genesis and these are great. Not sure if this is what you're referring to but it's separate from the carpet ones that came with the car. I took those out to protect them because of the snow. See photo PXL_20211128_175412288.jpg

Genesis Service - I will admit the service hasn't been the best. I've had numerous issues with them since day one- from forgetting one of my keys and vehicle registration on delivery, to trying to charge me for services that were included in my deal. I think the issue might be that Genesis dealer and service that is done through Hyundai don't communicate well with each other. Like yourself, the closest dealership to me would be a drive away so I'm hoping things don't go breaking while I'm on the road. If it does you can use the tow service but it would be the inconvenience that would hurt the most.
When I made an appointment with Genesis it seems only a Genesis trained technician can do work on the car. As for warranty work it should be concierge service, however, for that to happen you need to be within a certain distance for them to pick up the car (In Canada it's 50km).

deewan

Registered Member
Cedar Rapids, IA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
To each his own.
I just recommend everybody learn what ceramic coating is before investing in it and understand that most ceramic coatings have an effective life about half or what the coating life is stated. I don't disagreed that a quality ceramic coating can't help the avg joe who wants to increase the hydrophobic properties of their car if they don't spend much time (or no time) taking care of the paint. But there are companies and manufactures out there that are building up ceramic coatings to something they are not and implying the ceramic coatings are nearly bullet proof. Ceramic coatings will not protect against swirl marks, dents, door dings, etc.

If a person maintains their paint by properly washing their car once a month (or more) and uses a sealant and quality wax twice a year the car will have the same or better protection, shine and gloss than the most expensive ceramic coating on the market but at a substantially smaller price tag. There is also very little that a person has to do to reapply any of these products to increase their protection in 4-6 months.

Ceramic coatings make sense if you do not properly wash your car, do not apply a wax and or sealant once or twice a year and if that car is not garage kept and exposed to the elements year round. There are some ceramic coatings that require old coatings be removed manually before applying a new coat to renew the effective protection.

deewan

Registered Member
Cedar Rapids, IA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Thank you Dee-Genesis. Those are very helpful inputs. I think the cargo liner you have is the the way I will go. The reversible cargo liner has carpet on one side and the more durable coating on the other side. But I like the way your liner looks as it has a lip around the edges to help protect dirt from escaping. Thanks!

led lit velossatech high performance big mouth ram air snorkels airscoops for your genesis
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners