Genesis 5.0 Custom Exhaust

XPO439

Registered Member
California
So...I got tired of waiting on Ark to fabricate something. Went down to the local exhaust shop and had some custom work done. Custom X-pipe with Aero performance mufflers.

The custom X-pipe by itself did absolutely nothing to the sound. So they removed the mufflers and voila, there's the deep V8 sound! Of course, I can't just drive around without mufflers (sounds like a straight pipe mustang). So they added the Aero performance mufflers to tune the exhaust.

However...it drones quite a bit. I DO NOT recommend this setup for daily driving. You'll rip your ears out. The sound can best be described as AMG-like, but on steroids. I'll make a better video sometime this weekend. Enjoy :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OJC97mATKy0

Last edited:

Rloyola0426

Registered Member
Chino, CA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm curious as to why most people choose the X pipe vs the h pipe. I know about scavenging and all that but I've also read that they mostly benefit highly tuned race cars and produce a raspy sound at high rpm whereas an h pipe produces a deeper toned burbling sound.

Just wanting to know how true or false any of this is in real life as my only experience with aftermarket exhausts have all been with 4 bangers and not V6/V8s.

Your exhaust sounds dope and I wonder how h pipes and flowmasters would sound

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Sounds aggressive! What make are the mufflers?

Video says Aero performance mufflers but doesn't specif the model. Hopefully the OP can chime in.

Sure does sound sweet though.

XPO439

Registered Member
California
I'm curious as to why most people choose the X pipe vs the h pipe. I know about scavenging and all that but I've also read that they mostly benefit highly tuned race cars and produce a raspy sound at high rpm whereas an h pipe produces a deeper toned burbling sound.

Just wanting to know how true or false any of this is in real life as my only experience with aftermarket exhausts have all been with 4 bangers and not V6/V8s.

Your exhaust sounds dope and I wonder how h pipes and flowmasters would sound

X-pipe is more performance oriented than H-pipe. If you want that raspy sound in the higher RPM, then X-pipe will give you that, and some performance gains. The H-pipe is usually run by those classic cars with their V8s. It's the V8 rumble that's pretty deep. The performance gains are pretty low, possible +5hp over the 15-20hp on the X-pipe.

I can confirm that car is a lot quicker than before :D like it's breathing a lot better. The resonators weigh a ton! So some weight shaving in exhaust also helped.

4 bangers don't benefit from the X-pipe, the bigger engines gets the most benefit.

Video says Aero performance mufflers but doesn't specif the model. Hopefully the OP can chime in.

Sure does sound sweet though.

Thanks! The muffler guys just mentioned "Aero" performance mufflers...I'm not sure what exact model? Will have to look at the receipt again.

KDMzilla

Registered Member
Ive been rolling around with muffler delete for about 2 months now. I left the resignators on and did mandaril bends to Y pipes to keep the dual tips. Drone, yes, anytime it drops below 2100 RPM. Loud, YES, but it sounds f-ing mean. It took a bit to get used to but i love it. I do paddle shift 99% of the time now but it makes driving much more fun IMO

XPO439

Registered Member
California
Ive been rolling around with muffler delete for about 2 months now. I left the resignators on and did mandaril bends to Y pipes to keep the dual tips. Drone, yes, anytime it drops below 2100 RPM. Loud, YES, but it sounds f-ing mean. It took a bit to get used to but i love it. I do paddle shift 99% of the time now but it makes driving much more fun IMO

Yea at first I was like...shit...think I messed up. The cabin noise just went WAY up. But honestly, I feel like the 5.0 Genny is too quiet for a car that has 420 HP. Small price to pay though lol.

Tunnel blast this weekend, I'll post up another video. Also, does anyone know how to embed youtube videos to this forum?

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Yea at first I was like...shit...think I messed up. The cabin noise just went WAY up. But honestly, I feel like the 5.0 Genny is too quiet for a car that has 420 HP. Small price to pay though lol.

Tunnel blast this weekend, I'll post up another video. Also, does anyone know how to embed youtube videos to this forum?

I'll roll down my windows today, driving thru Sacramento, just in case! don't wanna miss a thing! :D

btw. as for embed youtube videos - it's broken since '14. It was on Sal's "to do list" though :p

Huddleston

Registered Member
Fayetteville, AR
I've said it time and time again, the best option is electronic cutouts.

You can choose any degree of loud from the stock quietness to what is essentially an open header. All this for essentially the cost of a basic muffler and mid pipe combo - except you don't have to worry about drone.

enjoy....

https://youtu.be/WIy3--DbLhs

XPO439

Registered Member
California
I've said it time and time again, the best option is electronic cutouts.

You can choose any degree of loud from the stock quietness to what is essentially an open header. All this for essentially the cost of a basic muffler and mid pipe combo - except you don't have to worry about drone.

enjoy....

https://youtu.be/WIy3--DbLhs

Yours sound nice...I think? Idk...you had it for a while but that's the only vid you put up. It's hard to hear what you did based off of the one clip of you in the garage. I was hoping you would upload a fly-by or tunnel blast to show what those cutouts did. Did you? I haven't checked your account recently.

The muffler guys would've reverted me back to stock free of charge if I didn't like my setup. I love it after driving around for a bit :D

Huddleston

Registered Member
Fayetteville, AR
You'll have a very high quality clip coming soon

Alwaysforward

Been here awhile...
South Florida - Treasure Coast
Genesis Model Type
It has been coming since early 2015 :D

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
It has been coming since early 2015 :D

hahah Ouch... Huddleston has been saying that for a while now. Surprised he didn't get any during his Gumball.

Huddleston

Registered Member
Fayetteville, AR
stop being mean to me guys.

XPO439, I will post some of my cell phone pics of the rally in my build thread.

I own Express Rally, we have events in various parts of the country. Next year the Genesis will be in Socal for the inaugural Western Express.

www.expressrally.com

check it out!

Alwaysforward

Been here awhile...
South Florida - Treasure Coast
Genesis Model Type
Were not being mean, just impatient :D

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums