Genesis at the Toronto Auto Show

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So went to the Toronto Auto Show yesterday .... was really surprised about how small a footprint Genesis had ... and how out of the way they were. You would think they would have used the combined negotiating power of themselves, Hyundai and Kia for a better spot. In the "premium" area that housed Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, Mini, BMW etc, Genesis was around a corner and had 5 cars on display: 2 G70s, 1 G80, 1 G90 and the Essentia. The salespeople were not particularly interested in talking to people (this was later in the day, and there were a lot of annoying people there with small kids, so understandable) - even though I was checking out the G80 and even the G90, not a single one of them approached me.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey at least Genesis had a presence there unlike in my area. Last car show I went to (January) Genesis wasn't even there. Last year, before the G70 was introduced here, they had a very nice looking spot with a G80 and G90 there.

I assume their lack of presence this year was due to the dealership change up, with only 1 official Genesis dealer in my entire state.

That said, and considering your experience, it really seems like Genesis could be doing a better job with advertising both in the US and Canada.

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey at least Genesis had a presence there unlike in my area. Last car show I went to (January) Genesis wasn't even there. Last year, before the G70 was introduced here, they had a very nice looking spot with a G80 and G90 there.

I assume their lack of presence this year was due to the dealership change up, with only 1 official Genesis dealer in my entire state.

That said, and considering your experience, it really seems like Genesis could be doing a better job with advertising both in the US and Canada.
The sales model in Canada is different - they have locations in malls, at the airport and other ‘showrooms’ versus the standard dealership. Perhaps they decided that they’re better off sticking to that versus spending what is probably a lot of money to be at that show ...

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The sales model in Canada is different - they have locations in malls, at the airport and other ‘showrooms’ versus the standard dealership. Perhaps they decided that they’re better off sticking to that versus spending what is probably a lot of money to be at that show ...
Still some big gaps in geographical area though!
Any new boutiques pop up?
Nothing between Missisauga and London.
They need one in Oakville, Hamilton, and KW.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
seeing this thread reminds me that pretty much exactly one year ago was when i became aware of the G70. i think i saw an ad on TV during the Genesis PGA golf tourney and the G70 caught my eye. once i found out some more details about it and that they were offering a 6MT trim i made a point of going to check it out at the Vancity auto show in March. people were crawling all over the Mallorca blue 3.3T Sport they had on the floor, along with a G80/G90 and concept SUV. ~6 months later i had my Mallorca blue 6MT.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
At least you guys had the Essentia! I heard ThrottleHouse went by their booth and someone talked a bit about the upcoming coupe.

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
At least you guys had the Essentia! I heard ThrottleHouse went by their booth and someone talked a bit about the upcoming coupe.
As much as I hate SUVs, they really need to get one out first ... every manufacturer there had those front and center ... it’s where I think they could really get some attention.

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did you existing owners receive an invitation from Genesis to the Auto Show to attend a"private reception" on Feb.20? I thought that I would take advantage of the offer so I'm heading there after work.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did you existing owners receive an invitation from Genesis to the Auto Show to attend a"private reception" on Feb.20? I thought that I would take advantage of the offer so I'm heading there after work.
Yeah I did last week. If I wasn't an hour out, I would have gone. Too bad it was the weekend!

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just leaving the Auto Show and I'm glad that I went . Patrick D. was there and a few of us had a long chat sharing our G70 likes and wishes. He provided a lot of insight into the genesis of the G70 and in particular the 6MT. For those of us with that trim, we owe him a debt of gratitude for his perseverance and efforts to make it a reality in Canada. The '20s will be arriving over the coming months with very few changes...save for a powered trunk on some trims.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just leaving the Auto Show and I'm glad that I went . Patrick D. was there and a few of us had a long chat sharing our G70 likes and wishes. He provided a lot of insight into the genesis of the G70 and in particular the 6MT. For those of us with that trim, we owe him a debt of gratitude for his perseverance and efforts to make it a reality in Canada. The '20s will be arriving over the coming months with very few changes...save for a powered trunk on some trims.
Any other hints other than the power trunk?

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Perhaps one or two new colours but nothing beyond that. The digital dash will not be on the '20s.

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Actually, I do recall him mentioning a change to the line-up that could entail the introduction of a 3.3 Prestige. I apologize for not being more definitive but it was a lengthy conversation and I wasn't paying that much attention to what's happening to the '20s given that I just got my '19 a couple of months ago.

TO Genesis

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto
Understood & thanks. When I'm closer to making a decision I'll reach out to Patrick to confirm. The answer might prompt me to wait for the 2020's.

nsyedhasan

Registered Member
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So went to the Toronto Auto Show yesterday .... was really surprised about how small a footprint Genesis had ... and how out of the way they were. You would think they would have used the combined negotiating power of themselves, Hyundai and Kia for a better spot. In the "premium" area that housed Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, Mini, BMW etc, Genesis was around a corner and had 5 cars on display: 2 G70s, 1 G80, 1 G90 and the Essentia. The salespeople were not particularly interested in talking to people (this was later in the day, and there were a lot of annoying people there with small kids, so understandable) - even though I was checking out the G80 and even the G90, not a single one of them approached me.
Yeah having the little kids running around wasn't the most pleasant thing but I think it was good still. But being able to talk to Patrick was very good. He knows the cars so well it made it really worthwhile.
I felt the same way, just being able to talk to Patrick made it worthwhile, as well as being able to look at all the models without being swamped with people. It was also definitely good talking to other G70 owners. Also another change for the '20s is tires with the prestige trims.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.