Genesis/Equus DIS Nav System Map Update TSB

Thread starter #1

landtuna

Registered Member
Sandstorm, AZ
TSB: 12-BE-016 - Purchase & Installation Instructions can be found at this URL:

https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/loc...openNewWindow=Y&docu_no=5002309&title_num=331

Please note that you must register at HMAS prior to gaining access to the material on this site. Registering can be done here:

https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/

If you read the TSB in its entirety you will note:

1. Hyundai instructs its technicians to copy and restore your AM/FM/XM pre-sets during the installation (but if they don't the pre-sets may be lost).
2. Hyundai notes that your address book, contacts and map entries will be lost and will ask you to sign a pre-installation acknowledgement to that effect.

crhbobby

Been here awhile...
Indiana
So....for those who have had this procedure done...did you have to pay to get this procedure done?

Philth

Been here awhile...
If it improves operation of the system via firmware update, I'm all for it. They did something similar to my 2011 Sonata w/nav. It was a map update, but the firmware was updated as well.

davidhutch

Hasn't posted much yet...
New 5.0 R-Spec Owners and My First Post. Just came from the dealer where I inquired about the TSB on the Nav upgrade. His words, "it only updates POI lists, you know, where all the Burger Kings are, but does not update the GIS or the actual streets". He quoted me $300 to upgrade it.

I would have to say I was not greatly impressed with the individual, but thought I would add some information to this post, even if heresay.

I read the TSB and it seems like a lot of steps and discs for just a Point of Interest update.

Maybe another member will take the $300 plunge and let us all know.

-david

Vince2

Registered Member
Of course $300 for a map update is ridiculous! There is a very good thread about this subject in the Sedan Electronics portion of the Forums. A member very familiar with updating all sorts of electronics is going to bat for us with Hyundai...interesting reading and if more of us complaign we might actually get Hyundai to be more reasonable with the cost and application of the upgrade.

Philth

Been here awhile...
Of course $300 for a map update is ridiculous! There is a very good thread about this subject in the Sedan Electronics portion of the Forums. A member very familiar with updating all sorts of electronics is going to bat for us with Hyundai...interesting reading and if more of us complaign we might actually get Hyundai to be more reasonable with the cost and application of the upgrade.
Can you elaborate??

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
As I recall, updates to the nav in my Infiniti G35 were less expensive (~$150 - not cheap, but a lot better than $300) and were user-installable. It was also easier to find out what changed with each update. With all the standalone and smartphone-based nav systems out there now, I can't imagine spending $300 for an update, especially for more POIs.

On the other hand, I'd consider paying that much for an overall upgrade to the DIS/tech software, such as improved phone book and iPod/iPhone functionality and the ability to enter the state and city before the street in the nav.

shagnat

Registered Member
TSB: 12-BE-016 - Purchase & Installation Instructions can be found at this URL:

https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/loc...openNewWindow=Y&docu_no=5002309&title_num=331

Please note that you must register at HMAS prior to gaining access to the material on this site. Registering can be done here:

https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/

If you read the TSB in its entirety you will note:

1. Hyundai instructs its technicians to copy and restore your AM/FM/XM pre-sets during the installation (but if they don't the pre-sets may be lost).
2. Hyundai notes that your address book, contacts and map entries will be lost and will ask you to sign a pre-installation acknowledgement to that effect.
I'm unable to create an account on "hyundaitechinfo.com" You must accept the TOS and none of my computers, tablets, or smartphones will go to that page. All I get is a blank tab. Yes, I've disabled "pop-ups". *sigh*

rlkoch1

I am sitting at the dealership now while they are installing the updated navigation (six discs) for my 2011 Genesis sedan. Three discs are supposedly for the firmware and three for the map updates. I was first person contacted by the service department manager when he was made aware of the TSB as he remembered I had complained about several shortcomings of the navigation. This is being done at absolutely no cost to me. I will only be paying for the oil change.

I have no idea why the update is being done yet, the service manager didn't even know. However, given some of the shortcomings of the system and getting the latest maps for free I wasn't going to hesitate on this.

This is my first post on this site, but I'll be sure to update all of you once I get the car back in a few hours and have a chance to check out the update. (They said it could take up to 3 hours to install the new software.) Stand by!

Note: This is supposedly a recall and not a TSB according to the service manager. It should probably be in a new thread as this is new and I now recognize not a part of this thread.

Last edited:

Vince2

Registered Member
Update for free...WOW! I paid nearly 300 and it took a week and a half. My primary Hyundai shop didn't want to do it ("too much time for the technician to apply and the update is prone to failure" so said my primary service center and they were correct).

I would be better off using the latest Garmin BUT we have this huge NAV screen built into our vehicles. It sure would be nice if it worked better and included useful, easy to apply and reasonably priced updates. Asking too much?

Last edited:

shagnat

Registered Member
Can you please find out the recall campagin number or TSB number and post it? Also if you can find the SW version and post that as well. It should be on the repair order. That would be of great help to all.
I don't think there is a TSB regarding any sort of problem. Just a TSB on what to tell the customer about saving addresses and phone books etc.

I'd love to be wrong, but, don't believe that's the case. Hope someone with more knowledge will post about it.

rlkoch1

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you guys. I took the car in for the "recall" and they said they would need the car for an hour. After a half hour they told me it would take at least three hours as they had to run through six discs and weren't sure just how long it would take. After three hours they told me that the first three discs, supposedly for the operating software, were uploaded. The other discs would not install as they got a message during the install that I already had the latest maps. Bottom line: I have driven this car at length and cannot see a single change in the performance with the "upgrade". That was 3 weeks ago and the dealer told me today that they have not tried this recall on any other car. He has no info as to what the problem supposedly was and what was fixed.

From the receipt:

B RECALL TQ3 30C045R0 NAVIGATION UPDATE
CAUSE: PERFORMED CAMPAIGN 30C045R0 DIS NAVIGATION MAP UPDATE

Having owned a Garmin for years before getting my Genesis, here are the disappointing things I have with the navigation system in my 2011 sedan:

1. Only the time until destination is shown and not the actual arrival time.
2. Durations are calculated using operator set speeds for various road types, while Garmin uses actual speed limits along the route.
3. Garmin shows me the current speed limit on main roads. This does not.
4. Fastest routes are often wrong. For example, from Fairmont, WV to Columbus, OH the unit routes you through Washington, PA. If you change it to shortest route, it directs you through Parkersburg, WV, which is shorter AND shows faster.
5. The Points of Interest search does not work at all for "Along the Route". It works OK for "Near Here" and "Near Destination". I guess since there are no fast food places with an actual interstate address it can't find them.
6. When you do get a list of POI's for the "Near Here" it doesn't adjust the distances as you drive until you do a new search.

If anyone can solve any of the above for me, I'd be glad to hear from you. The only thing good about this navigation system is that it is built in with a great big screen. Other than that, I'd take my old antique Garmin any day.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.