Genesis G70 driver survives massive head-on crash (with video)

Throat Yogurt

I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
A true testament to how safe this car is!

Video: Wrong-Way Driver Slams Into Car on I-95 During Chase

A wild, caught on cam police chase came to a violent end when a suspected DUI driver speeding the wrong way down I-95 slammed into a car and flipped over.
The chaotic ordeal began around 3 p.m. Monday outside Philadelphia International Airport when a man inside a black Ford F-150 was stopped in the running lanes of Departures Road outside a terminal, police said.

When police blew their horn, the driver of the Ford, later identified as Anthony Colabove, 41, of Wayne, allegedly took off and jumped the median, striking two vehicles.
"Just as we got to the Terminal A area, we got slammed in the back out of nowhere," Hayley Albright, who was inside one of the vehicles, told NBC10.

Colabove continued driving southbound on I-95 in the northbound lanes, according to investigators.
A video, obtained by NBC10, shows the F-150 speeding the wrong way down the busy highway as police vehicles chase after it.
The video then shows the pickup truck colliding head-on with a silver, 2019 Hyundai Genesis near Rt. 420. The impact caused the pickup truck to flip over.

"My head turned and I see the front grill of the car coming at me," Colin Miller, the driver of the Genesis, told NBC10.
Miller, 19, of Glenolden, miraculously walked away from the crash uninjured.
"I think it's surreal," Miller said. "I'm sure it'll hit me later."
Miller told NBC10 he was test driving the Hyundai at the time of the crash.
"I'm happy that I'm alright and it didn't happen to anyone else," he said.
Colabove was taken into custody and then the hospital in stable condition. He's charged with DUI-drug and drug possession. No one else was seriously injured.
Colabove has been accused of driving in the wrong direction before, according to court records. He pleaded guilty to driving under the influence in 2003 and for harassment and making terroristic threats in 2017.

krobin350

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
WOWWWW
cpl of interesting things here... 1 it was during a test drive?!? and 2, the G70 really launched a freakin F150 in the air?!? took that hit like a champ!
definitely a testament to its strength and safety

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
jebus cripes. i saw this news clip yesterday but i thought the car was a BMW 3 or 5 series, or Acura. the report didn't spec the car. the G70 held up really well against the much heavier F150 which was sent flying. like a top-heavy tight end getting smoked by a pitbull d-back. crazy that the truck driver never touched the brakes. good thing there was no front passenger in the G70. they may have suffered.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
From the looks that is a newer than 2015 F-150 which means it is likely the new aluminum body, which doesn't really outweigh the G70 by much 4,100 lbs vs. 3,600 lbs - 3,900 lbs (depending on RWD or AWD, manual or auto in the G70).

The Ford crumbled exactly how one would expect an aluminum body vehicle to, the higher ride height of the truck and the slopping front of the G70 is what contributed to the Truck flipping.

concerning to me is how the G70 driver did not see a truck coming at him..

In-House Bob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
...concerning to me is how the G70 driver did not see a truck coming at him..
I guess they didn't show him how to turn on the lane-keep assist. It looked like he was drifting onto the shoulder at the wrong time. Regardless, so glad he was okay. No salesman along for the test drive, I guess. Good thing, as most of the impact was on the passenger side. That might have been tragic, even in a Genesis.

Chark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Maybe the Genesis driver was distracted more by the cop's lights in the other lane, who was also going the wrong way.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
From the looks that is a newer than 2015 F-150 which means it is likely the new aluminum body, which doesn't really outweigh the G70 by much 4,100 lbs vs. 3,600 lbs - 3,900 lbs (depending on RWD or AWD, manual or auto in the G70).

The Ford crumbled exactly how one would expect an aluminum body vehicle to, the higher ride height of the truck and the slopping front of the G70 is what contributed to the Truck flipping.

concerning to me is how the G70 driver did not see a truck coming at him..
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like the 150 was passing a lot of cars with no problem, then suddenly he hits or gets hit. Did one of them drift over? I imagine the police will disect the video.

Throat Yogurt

I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like the 150 was passing a lot of cars with no problem, then suddenly he hits or gets hit. Did one of them drift over? I imagine the police will disect the video.
This is local to me, the accident happens just after (or before, depending on which direction you are driving) the Rt. 420 entrance ramp to I-95. The Genesis was almost certainly getting on the highway there (it is right down the road from Pacifico Hyundai) and the F-150 had to cross over the entrance ramp to stay on the shoulder. No reason the G70 driver would have been looking for an oncoming vehicle as he was trying to merge onto the highway.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
This is local to me, the accident happens just after (or before, depending on which direction you are driving) the Rt. 420 entrance ramp to I-95. The Genesis was almost certainly getting on the highway there (it is right down the road from Pacifico Hyundai) and the F-150 had to cross over the entrance ramp to stay on the shoulder. No reason the G70 driver would have been looking for an oncoming vehicle as he was trying to merge onto the highway.
OK, that makes sense. I did not realize he was coming on and crossing over what should be an empty lane..

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Are some people really attempting to blame the G70 driver here? Are you serious?

no one is blaming the G70 driver, it is a general wonderment:

how did the driver not see a truck driving the wrong way coming at him? they were on a long straight away, other drivers were actively moving out of the way. .

but it is probably at best a rhetorical question, because the driver was on a test drive, so was obviously distracted checking out the vehicle and not paying attention to what was happening around him.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
no one is blaming the G70 driver, it is a general wonderment:

how did the driver not see a truck driving the wrong way coming at him? they were on a long straight away, other drivers were actively moving out of the way. .

but it is probably at best a rhetorical question, because the driver was on a test drive, so was obviously distracted checking out the vehicle and not paying attention to what was happening around him.
Not wrong way, but there are accidents happening every day with cars stopped on the side. Usually because a driver drifts into the shoulder on the right.

In this case, the driver was coming on to the road and thus had to cross the lane the wrong way driver was using. From the video though, that was not obvious, thus the questions.

The other question, did he buy the car?

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not wrong way, but there are accidents happening every day with cars stopped on the side. Usually because a driver drifts into the shoulder on the right.

In this case, the driver was coming on to the road and thus had to cross the lane the wrong way driver was using. From the video though, that was not obvious, thus the questions.

The other question, did he buy the car?
Probably not that car.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Are some people really attempting to blame the G70 driver here? Are you serious?
Agreed, that does seem silly. However if you want to get depressed, set up an automated Google keyword search on the Genesis (on any specific car brand, really). Between crime (some petty, some not), traffic fatalities, and other grim news, it's a little sad. I always wonder, "Now was that member on the forums, and if so, I wonder if I've ever spoken with him/her?" Silly, I know...

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
I know one thing.. that's going to be a heap-load of paperwork to work out the insurance and liability... His personal insurance vs the driver's vs the dealer's..

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.