Genesis G70 Lexicon Sound System

mcornett

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi owners! I am a soon-to-be G70 owner. I'm wondering if somebody could comment in a bit more detail on the quality of the G70 Lexicon sound system? Every review seems to entirely gloss over this point. I have no experience with Lexicon (and little with Harman Kardon, its parent company).

I am a bit of an audiophile and I listen to a lot of music in the car, so I'd appreciate a nitpicky response. Any highlights / criticisms of the sound system?

I'm coming from a Mercedes C300 with a Burmeister sound system, which has been EXCELLENT. When I test drove the G70, I was not thrilled at first blush with the sound, but I think some of the setting were whacky and I didn't have time to fiddle or customize?

Thoughts? Grateful for any feedback!

Buckdes

Getting familiar with the group...
Hi owners! I am a soon-to-be G70 owner. I'm wondering if somebody could comment in a bit more detail on the quality of the G70 Lexicon sound system? Every review seems to entirely gloss over this point. I have no experience with Lexicon (and little with Harman Kardon, its parent company).

I am a bit of an audiophile and I listen to a lot of music in the car, so I'd appreciate a nitpicky response. Any highlights / criticisms of the sound system?

I'm coming from a Mercedes C300 with a Burmeister sound system, which has been EXCELLENT. When I test drove the G70, I was not thrilled at first blush with the sound, but I think some of the setting were whacky and I didn't have time to fiddle or customize?

Thoughts? Grateful for any feedback!
I love the sound system, huge bass and crystal clear sound with surround sound !! I was initially disappointed with it until after playing around i noticed surround sound was not turned on an i believe its called concert mode or something like that which made it sound 10x better

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Although I can not compare the systems, I would say it is very good. If Genesis is trying to compete with BMW/Audi/Mercedes I would imagine they took the sound systems into consideration as well.

mcornett

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Although I can not compare the systems, I would say it is very good. If Genesis is trying to compete with BMW/Audi/Mercedes I would imagine they took the sound systems into consideration as well.
I don't think that follows. You definitely have to compare the systems. That's why people do car reviews for different cars.

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't think that follows. You definitely have to compare the systems. That's why people do car reviews for different cars.
What I meant was they would likely have used a comparable quality sound system if they were serious about competing with the Germans. I'm looking forward to your expert review.

Gianttama

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
That's true.
Yup Bentley uses lexicon too. The sport has a lexicon 15 speakers setup, I am no audiophile but I like it. It is probably not the best out there (I don't have anything to compare) but of Bentley uses it to....Just saying.

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yup Bentley uses lexicon too. The sport has a lexicon 15 speakers setup, I am no audiophile but I like it. It is probably not the best out there (I don't have anything to compare) but of Bentley uses it to....Just saying.
I suspect that the Bentley uses a Lexicon sound system but not necessarily the same Lexicon sound system as the G70. For just about any brand, there's a world of variation across different systems for different applications. That's not to say that the Lexicon system in the G70 isn't good, by any means. But judging how good it is by how it sounds makes more sense than by the fact that the same brand is in a Bentley, seems to me. And if it sounds good to you, it doesn't matter if it sounds less good to someone else.

Hearing is an active process. Our ears and brains aren't passive transducers. They actively process the signals they receive. So, how your nervous system processes sound is a vital part of the audio chain that no one else can access. What sounds good to you is the important thing.

Having said that, I honestly am puzzled by the expectations people have for car audio systems. I think most systems to be found in higher-end cars are moe than good enough. The inside of a car, on a normal road at normal speed, just isn't an environment I associate with critical listening. And I'd rather direct more of my attention to the driving than the listening. I appreciate that we're all different. Just saying, for me, trying to replicate a home listening experience in my car is not something I've ever aspired to do.

In fact, I prefer dynamic compression and a far-from-flat frequency response in a car system so that the sound cuts through the environmental sounds more effectively. Those would be liabilities in a good home system but I consider them assets in a car, at least for my hearing. Bottom line: I really thing it's subjective, and a difference between the way two systems sound doesn't equate unambiguously to a subjective improvement in one, relative to the other. People don't even necessarily prefer the most accurate sound reproduction. So, big subjectivity factor.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I suspect that the Bentley uses a Lexicon sound system but not necessarily the same Lexicon sound system as the G70. For just about any brand, there's a world of variation across different systems for different applications. That's not to say that the Lexicon system in the G70 isn't good, by any means. But judging how good it is by how it sounds makes more sense than by the fact that the same brand is in a Bentley, seems to me. And if it sounds good to you, it doesn't matter if it sounds less good to someone else.
This is totally true. I have had Harman Kardon systems in several vehicles and they are definitely not all the same. Huge range in quality and they all have the same logo on the speakers.

I am sure the system in the Bentley will blow away the system in the G70, just like I expect the Lexicon in the G80 and G90 to also be a set or two better.

That said, in this class of vehicle, I think it is a very competitive system. I thought it sounded better than the HK system in the Stinger (Genesis must hate how much it gets compared to the Kia lol) and definitely competitive with the HK system in the BMW 3 series. I think Burmester in the c-class and the B&O in the S4 are a bit better, but this is definitely better than the base system in both those cars.

Again like @devellis mentioned, sound is very subjective so it will not everyone will agree. The Lexicon system in the G70 for instance has less bass than some brands (like the G50 for instance) but much better quality mids and highs. Some people will like that and others will not.

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is totally true. I have had Harman Kardon systems in several vehicles and they are definitely not all the same. Huge range in quality and they all have the same logo on the speakers.

I am sure the system in the Bentley will blow away the system in the G70, just like I expect the Lexicon in the G80 and G90 to also be a set or two better.

That said, in this class of vehicle, I think it is a very competitive system. I thought it sounded better than the HK system in the Stinger (Genesis must hate how much it gets compared to the Kia lol) and definitely competitive with the HK system in the BMW 3 series. I think Burmester in the c-class and the B&O in the S4 are a bit better, but this is definitely better than the base system in both those cars.

Again like @devellis mentioned, sound is very subjective so it will not everyone will agree. The Lexicon system in the G70 for instance has less bass than some brands (like the G50 for instance) but much better quality mids and highs. Some people will like that and others will not.
The gangsta-wanna-be-hat-on-crooked crowd definitely won't like that.

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

I have a Sony system in my 2015 F-150 Lariat... absolutely perfect. If the G70 is anything even close to that, I'll be one happy dude

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a Sony system in my 2015 F-150 Lariat... absolutely perfect. If the G70 is anything even close to that, I'll be one happy dude
It will blow that one away. My boss just went from a 2015 Platinum F150 to a 2018. The B&O in the 2018 is much better than the Sony in the 2015 and I think the system in the G70 is better yet. Although they are definitely close. We had all 3 parked here at work the one day and were messing around. lol

Tonester

SUSTAINING MEMBER
San Francisco, CA - Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Of the 15 speakers in this Lexicon system, I've heard there are only 2 subwoofers under the front seats? So that makes 13 mids and tweets in other spots; some may be coaxial. Has anyone felt the need to add a good subwoofer in the trunk or elsewhere? My buddy has an Audi A5 Sportback with B&O and that sound system also gets good reviews, but he felt bass was lacking, so he added a sub in the back and was very happy with the result. Yeah, bass is a subjective thing, but I like a good kicker!

Buckdes

Getting familiar with the group...
Of the 15 speakers in this Lexicon system, I've heard there are only 2 subwoofers under the front seats? So that makes 13 mids and tweets in other spots; some may be coaxial. Has anyone felt the need to add a good subwoofer in the trunk or elsewhere? My buddy has an Audi A5 Sportback with B&O and that sound system also gets good reviews, but he felt bass was lacking, so he added a sub in the back and was very happy with the result. Yeah, bass is a subjective thing, but I like a good kicker!
I definitly think there is more than enough bass but i am not that guy that puts thousands of dollars into car audio. When you turn on the special lexicon settings the base is very strong and i think more than needed as people i pull up next to usuallly turn and give a look lol

Tonester

SUSTAINING MEMBER
San Francisco, CA - Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I definitly think there is more than enough bass but i am not that guy that puts thousands of dollars into car audio. When you turn on the special lexicon settings the base is very strong and i think more than needed as people i pull up next to usuallly turn and give a look lol
Good to hear this @Buckdes!
Bass is like horsepower... I don't NEED it, I WANT it! ;)