3.3T Genesis G70 Oil and Filter change (how-to)

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Changed my oil and filter last night, and the experience was pretty dang easy. After watching a popular Kia Stinger oil change, I became worried that I needed a specific oil filter socket, so I ordered this one from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMULLY2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FYI - you don't need it. In fact, any 27mm socket will do, though you *may* have to remove the underside cowling vs just using the access panel. But if you're partial to the low-profile type, you can find a couple others on amazon for a few bucks less than what this one costs.

I also used a WIX filter. Specifically, P/N WL10237. I ordered it from my local O'Reilly autoparts store. $10, I believe (could be wrong, I forgot the price). And this is a very good filter, definitely better than the OEM filter my car came with (as you'll see in the video below). You can also get it from Amazon, but it's more expensive.

(O'Reilly) https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/wix-5291/filters-16470/oil-filter-12090/80c2d8dbb188/wix-oil-filter/wl10237/5688218?q=WL10237&pos=0

(Amazon) Amazon.com: Wix Filters Wl10237 Oil Filter: Automotive

Last but not least, I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 full synthetic oil. Got it from Walmart. You can also get it from Amazon, slightly more, but you get more discounts from the mail-in rebates (that is, if you trust Pennzoil to honor them, haha). Anyway, you need ~7.5 US Quarts.

(Walmart) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/55291206

(Amazon) https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550...&sprefix=pennzoil+,aps,198&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Last, but certainly not least, here is my how-to video.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to do it on their own and isn't sure about how to do it.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hope this helps anyone who wants to do it on their own and isn't sure about how to do it.

Where did you jack up the car that allowed you to get the jack stands under the side of the car? When I looked under my G70 there didn't appear to be an obvious jack point other on the side of the car where your jack stands were located in your video.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Where did you jack up the car that allowed you to get the jack stands under the side of the car? When I looked under my G70 there didn't appear to be an obvious jack point other on the side of the car where your jack stands were located in your video.

Yeah, I was having a hard time with that. The jack points on the frame are only so wide, so you are kind of stuck when using your hydraulic jack, as there isn't any way to replace it with the jack stand. I couldn't find another proper place on the frame to put a jack.

I ended up folding up a small towel on top of each jack stand and putting it as close to the jack point as I could on the frame rail. The towel seemed to protect the rail. Even so, I won't be doing that again. I'm either going to buy a couple ramps, or use something like a quick jack.

Sunny619

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Changed my oil and filter last night, and the experience was pretty dang easy. After watching a popular Kia Stinger oil change, I became worried that I needed a specific oil filter socket, so I ordered this one from Amazon...

Amazon.com: STEELMAN 95646 27mm Low Profile Oil Filter Socket for Mercedes-Benz A-Class and Others, 3/8-Inch Drive: Automotive

FYI - you don't need it. In fact, any 27mm socket will do, though you *may* have to remove the underside cowling vs just using the access panel. But if you're partial to the low-profile type, you can find a couple others on amazon for a few bucks less than what this one costs.

I also used a WIX filter. Specifically, P/N WL10237. I ordered it from my local O'Reilly autoparts store. $10, I believe (could be wrong, I forgot the price). And this is a very good filter, definitely better than the OEM filter my car came with (as you'll see in the video below). You can also get it from Amazon, but it's more expensive.

(O'Reilly) https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/wix-5291/filters-16470/oil-filter-12090/80c2d8dbb188/wix-oil-filter/wl10237/5688218?q=WL10237&pos=0

(Amazon) Amazon.com: Wix Filters Wl10237 Oil Filter: Automotive

Last but not least, I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 full synthetic oil. Got it from Walmart. You can also get it from Amazon, slightly more, but you get more discounts from the mail-in rebates (that is, if you trust Pennzoil to honor them, haha). Anyway, you need ~7.5 US Quarts.

(Walmart) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt - Walmart.com

(Amazon) https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550046126-Platinum-quart-Synthetic/dp/B01M6YFM58/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2U6XUHPEKJC6M&keywords=pennzoil+ultra+platinum+5w-30&qid=1556397549&s=gateway&sprefix=pennzoil+,aps,198&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Last, but certainly not least, here is my how-to video.

Good information... but we have 3 yrs 36k maintenance included here in USA

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ why would you?

If you go over the miles within a year...they will do multiple oil changes within a year.

It’s not limited by time.

So if you do 12k in a year...you’ll get 2 oil changes for free within a year.

This has been confirmed.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ why would you?

If you go over the miles within a year...they will do multiple oil changes within a year.

It’s not limited by time.

So if you do 12k in a year...you’ll get 2 oil changes for free within a year.

This has been confirmed.
What about if I want to change my oil with less than 6000 miles? Or if I want to change the factory oil at 1000 miles? Is that included?

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
With all this being said...scheduling my first oil change next week. I’m at 6 months...only 3,300 miles though.

I’ll have to remove my JB4...which is easy. Wondering if they’ll say anything.

I have to figure out if I want someone to pick it up (scared of mofo’s abusing it), go to the dealer and get a loaner...or just go there and wait. Decisions...decisions...lol.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm worried about letting some strange driving my car. I would go there and wait but if is going to take to much time I would get a loaner.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm worried about letting some strange driving my car. I would go there and wait but if is going to take to much time I would get a loaner.
Yeah...that is what I am thinking. Problem is...it's a Hyundai dealer (Genesis as well obviously). So not like it's a posh experience hanging out there. Might have to do the loaner and hang at Costco ;)

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Keep in mind that Genesis recommends changing the oil every 6k miles here in the US under "normal" driving conditions... But they recommend changing the oil every 3k miles under "severe" driving conditions.

Take a look at what they consider severe - driving uphill and downhill, among other things... Haha.

On top of this, not every dealer uses high quality engine oil, much less synthetic. My closest dealership uses Motorcraft oil. When I asked the lady if I could use my own, she almost sounded offended, "Why? Is there something wrong with the oil we use?" I didn't have the heart to tell her that the oil they use is garbage, so I just said "Well, I just have my own preference."

That said, for some of us it is worth changing our own oil with really good stuff and more often than 6k. We also can use higher viscosity if we wish. When pushing higher power this is actually worth it.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
With all this being said...scheduling my first oil change next week. I’m at 6 months...only 3,300 miles though...

I have to figure out if I want someone to pick it up (scared of mofo’s abusing it), go to the dealer and get a loaner...or just go there and wait. Decisions...decisions...lol.

^ if you are only at 3300 miles won't this change be on your dime? doesn't the 6k miles or 12 months trigger service down south? 6 months is not one of the metrics, at least in CAD. based on your mileage, you'll be at 6k miles at the ~11 month mark which is what would trigger your first 'free' service.

CAD uses 10k kms or 12 months, whichever comes first. i did mine at 6 months on my own sicne this wasn't covered by Genesis and it's a habit of mine to change bi-annually.

as for the at-home valet, count me out. not a chance i trust a lot jockey to not abuse my clutch. and i just finished getting two dents removed from a rear door...not keen for any more anytime soon.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ hmmm...service guy said I should come in at 6 months. I need to investigate.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Keep in mind that Genesis recommends changing the oil every 6k miles here in the US under "normal" driving conditions... But they recommend changing the oil every 3k miles under "severe" driving conditions.

Take a look at what they consider severe - driving uphill and downhill, among other things... Haha.

View attachment 19657
View attachment 19658

On top of this, not every dealer uses high quality engine oil, much less synthetic. My closest dealership uses Motorcraft oil. When I asked the lady if I could use my own, she almost sounded offended, "Why? Is there something wrong with the oil we use?" I didn't have the heart to tell her that the oil they use is garbage, so I just said "Well, I just have my own preference."

That said, for some of us it is worth changing our own oil with really good stuff and more often than 6k. We also can use higher viscosity if we wish. When pushing higher power this is actually worth it.
Hyundai--if I recall, is similar. And, not changing within the time frame that they say can, I believe, void the warranty. Given the definition of "severe" not sure who would qualify for other than "severe."

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, I'm the same way don't really know why. Then I remember a local story about a service guy joy riding a guys Camaro zl1. Delaware I think free state Chevy look it up.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums