Genesis G70 Reviews

g70

Getting familiar with the group...
QC, Canada
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Hoping the first North American reviews will start soon. There are some Korean ones out, but it would be nice to see some for the Canadian and US versions of the car.

Any links, post them here please!

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I will be in Quebec in May taking the G70 around the race track. There will be some members of the Canadian media there also so you should expect reviews sometime in May.

g70

Getting familiar with the group...
QC, Canada
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Usually you get an initial rush of first reviews, then more in depth ones a month or so later. Thats in the US though, there don't seem to be so many Canadian reviewers, at least on youtube... Fingers crossed the first will appear soon though- I would like to see some pro reviews before I make the final decision.

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I guess Question #1 is will the US cars have the same specs as the Canadian ones? That'll make a potential difference as to how relevant the reviews of cars bound for one country are for buyers in the other. Of course, there will be more similarities than differences but the potential differences could be important.

If the cars are the same, then I would think that the US automotive journalists would be either getting some cars to review or, if necessary, would be heading to Canada to review cars there. Of course, if the cars aren't identical, they may well wait until they can get into US-spec versions. Shouldn't be too long, either way.

The first reviews we'll see, of course, will be online. The print versions will take longer to hit the news stands but may be more detailed (otherwise, who'd bother buying the print magazines?).

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I guess Question #1 is will the US cars have the same specs as the Canadian ones? That'll make a potential difference as to how relevant the reviews of cars bound for one country are for buyers in the other. Of course, there will be more similarities than differences but the potential differences could be important.

If the cars are the same, then I would think that the US automotive journalists would be either getting some cars to review or, if necessary, would be heading to Canada to review cars there. Of course, if the cars aren't identical, they may well wait until they can get into US-spec versions. Shouldn't be too long, either way.

The first reviews we'll see, of course, will be online. The print versions will take longer to hit the news stands but may be more detailed (otherwise, who'd bother buying the print magazines?).

Things like performance, suspension, handling, etc should be the same what will be different are some of the options/packaging offerings.

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I thought test drives were in 2 weeksish ??
Yes, my test driver cars will be ready within 2 weeks. The event I am attending in May is for Genesis employees and some members of the media. Don't worry, you will be contacted as soon as the 3.3T Sport is ready to drive!

- - - Updated - - -

Things like performance, suspension, handling, etc should be the same what will be different are some of the options/packaging offerings.
Correct. Canada and the US should see similar engine and suspension tuning. Features/packaging may be different (e.g. heated steering wheels being standard in Canada whereas you may need to go up several trims to get it in the US, like with the G80). Both US/Canadian models will be more aggressive than the KDM version.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ question for you GenesisYEG - i am keen on the 6MT RWD model, but does it come with ventilated seats? if not, and i know it's a long shot, but do you know if Genesis allows bespoke options where i could add this feature to the 6MT model for an additional cost?

also - do all G70's come with Navi & heated steering wheel and power passenger seats? it's probably just my thick head, but some items are not clear on the website. the 2.0 Dynamic lists just 'Display Audio', where the 2.0 Elite mentions 'navigation system', but the RWD Sport doesn't refer to in-dash tech at all.

the Vancity auto show rep was helpful, and mentioned the RWD 6MT will be more driver-centric which is great, but i'd rather not give up on a few nice-to-haves...

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ question for you GenesisYEG - i am keen on the 6MT RWD model, but does it come with ventilated seats? if not, and i know it's a long shot, but do you know if Genesis allows bespoke options where i could add this feature to the 6MT model for an additional cost?

also - do all G70's come with Navi & heated steering wheel and power passenger seats? it's probably just my thick head, but some items are not clear on the website. the 2.0 Dynamic lists just 'Display Audio', where the 2.0 Elite mentions 'navigation system', but the RWD Sport doesn't refer to in-dash tech at all.

the Vancity auto show rep was helpful, and mentioned the RWD 6MT will be more driver-centric which is great, but i'd rather not give up on a few nice-to-haves...
The 2.0T Sport does not come with ventilated seats. You have to get the Elite for that and it is AWD. Unfortunately you cannot get the feature added in from the factory.

Heated steering wheel is standard across all G70s. However, only the Elite and up will have navi and power passenger seat. On the plus side, all G70s will have Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and both Google Maps and Apple Maps are much better than the factory AVN 5.0 navigation system.

The manual would be a blast to drive as all my personal cars have been manual but I'm at the point in life where I would rather take an automatic due to autos tending to have more features as well as simply being faster overall.

Hoping the first North American reviews will start soon. There are some Korean ones out, but it would be nice to see some for the Canadian and US versions of the car.

Any links, post them here please!

FYI -- There is an embargo on the car until April 30th so the earliest you will possibly see media coverage is on April 30th.

TO Genesis

Hasn't posted much yet...
Toronto
FYI -- There is an embargo on the car until April 30th so the earliest you will possibly see media coverage is on April 30th.
On this basis, the first impressions will likely be from the pre-order test drives - i.e. folks who will be voting with their cheque books. Not necessarily a bad thing.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
...The manual would be a blast to drive as all my personal cars have been manual but I'm at the point in life where I would rather take an automatic due to autos tending to have more features as well as simply being faster overall...
yes, totally agree. modern autoboxes have more gearing so are better from fuel economy and acceleration. but that's not the point for myself, yet, anyways. while i still can drive a manual, i will. more about the control and connection to the drivetrain than all-out speed.

are you aware of any specs for the clutch & flywheel assembly? will it be a single-mass or dual-mass flywheel? i'm not sure if they are lifting the gearbox/clutch assembly from another Hyundai product.

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
yes, totally agree. modern autoboxes have more gearing so are better from fuel economy and acceleration. but that's not the point for myself, yet, anyways. while i still can drive a manual, i will. more about the control and connection to the drivetrain than all-out speed.

are you aware of any specs for the clutch & flywheel assembly? will it be a single-mass or dual-mass flywheel? i'm not sure if they are lifting the gearbox/clutch assembly from another Hyundai product.
Dual mass flywheel. The transmission is a heavily modified version of the 6 speed in the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Lots of different parts and improvements in it that the Corporate Product Manager considers it a different unit altogether.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ CR and others often get to do these first take type reviews - where they really don't go into the details about the driving dynamics, etc.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Still waiting for Car & Driver or Motortrend to come out with an instrumented review. Not often that you can buy a car before that happens. And I am also interested in how the car ends up doing in comparison tests.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.