• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

GENESIS G80 3.3L TURBO RWD; SNOW TIRES OR NO SNOW TIRES?

RJL24

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
It's that time of year in the northeast.

Bought my new 2019 G80 in GA. in March.

I have a G80 RWD 2019, 3.3t SPORT and well, need some input from informed G80 drivers.

I ask if anyone with this model has needed snow tires?

Research found these that should fit:

Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO 3

The current OEM tire sizes on my G80 are front- 245/40R x 19
rear - 275 35R x 19

Apparently it is recommended to use the same size snow tire on all 4 wheels.

So the Pirelli model tire I found is 245/40R 19.
Priced at $222 each at my local tire store (image with $239 each- is from another dealer), +$89 for installation. + 8.25% tax. TOTAL about $1050.00

The tire in the rear wheel size 275 35r x 19 (though would not put 275 35r x 19 on the front as a snow tire, would I?) is $303 at the same dealer.

Can anyone offer experience using G80- 3.3T Sport:

driving in the snow no snow tires?
or in snow with snow tires?

If yes to driving in snow with OEM tires, please share your experiences and your USA location.

If yes to with snow tires which size and model and brand, please.

I may decide soon as possible, as Poughkeepsie NY is expecting snow and I am moving near there next week.

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

RJL24

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thanks I pretty much decided I'll get some snows and I sent an email to my Genesis service department.

I will update the forum as my winter progresses.

RJL24

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'd get some snows if you are in the snow belt. I've heard stories about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS working well in winter, but I think RWD might negate any benefit.

my service department manager suggested buying a couple of bags of SALT and leaving them unopened of course in the trunk during foul winter weather weather.

RJL24

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
UPDATE

I ordered a set of Michelin snow tires from my local Genesis service dealer via its service manager.

The 4 wheel set will be installed on Friday.

I've read so many comments in the forums about folks not finding snow tires.

After I did a ton of research about snow tires and costs and things like that I felt informed enough to ask him the question instead of sounding like "just a car owner".

Made sense to me to call my service manager all along.

Chris Gallo of Service Dept. Mgr. of Danbury Genesis is top in his field.

DkHelmet

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Southeast PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I used to run Conti DWSes on my 08 Accord. They were nice and definitely improved winter handling but wore really quickly for me. I switched over to a set of Blizzaks for winter and Indy 500s for summer and never looked back- it turned a Honda Accord into some sort of billy goat in the snow and ice. I got up inclines that F150s got stuck on.

As soon as my stock tires get tired I'll pick up a set with wheels from Tire Rack.

The general consensus with snow tire sizing is you don't want staggered (more resistance for rear wheels, having to widen an already plowed furrow) and generally same width or more narrow. I believe the manual has recommended snow tire sizes for the Sport.

RJL24

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I used to run Conti DWSes on my 08 Accord. They were nice and definitely improved winter handling but wore really quickly for me. I switched over to a set of Blizzaks for winter and Indy 500s for summer and never looked back- it turned a Honda Accord into some sort of billy goat in the snow and ice. I got up inclines that F150s got stuck on.

As soon as my stock tires get tired I'll pick up a set with wheels from Tire Rack.

The general consensus with snow tire sizing is you don't want staggered (more resistance for rear wheels, having to widen an already plowed furrow) and generally same width or more narrow. I believe the manual has recommended snow tire sizes for the Sport.

Thanks.
UPDATE

I had a good conversation with my Genesis service guy.

I ordered a set of Michelin snow tires from my local Genesis service dealer via its service manager.

The 4 wheel set will be installed on Friday.

I've read so many comments in the forums about folks not finding snow tires.

After I did a ton of research about snow tires and costs and things like that I felt informed enough to ask him the question instead of sounding like "just a car owner".

Made sense to me to call my service manager all along. he best knows what the car needs and I ordered the tires he recommended.

Chris Gallo of Service Dept. Mgr. of Danbury Genesis is top in his field.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums