Genesis g80 3.8 2017 slight vibration while driving

Thread starter #1

beel27

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hello,

I know this may have been discussed earlier. But I would like to share my experience as I'm really sensitive to car vibrations and can figure out swiftly if a car vibrates. So I bought a Genesis G80 2017 3.8. It came with stock Dunlop Sport Max GT tyres (F 275/35/R19 and R 245/40/R19). Initially I had issues with flat spotting on the stock tyres. After weeks of fighting I finally got them replaced via the official Hyundai dealer (bought the car directly from Hyundai Genesis. It's still under hyundai in UAE). They confirmed that the replacements were done with new tyres which I could see and wheel balancing was completed successfully too before handing over the car to me.

What I notice now is a different type of vibration compared to flat spotting. Previously after driving over 50 miles every day, the flat spotting would go unnoticeable. However now it's a completely new level of vibration. It's not severe or serious, but very very annoying as I'm too sensitive maybe. I come from a BMW x5 2006 E53 so not sure if that adds to this, but now I feel my car runs smooth yet it vibrates (very similar to driving on marbles). I don't notice the steering wheel vibrate. I would notice the vibration by keeping a bottle of water in the car and I notice the water in the bottle keeps rippling. This shouldn't be happening as I've tried on almost all types of roads (old to new fresh one, flat roads and all those). What I do notice is the vibration is more noticeable when I let the car decelerate without using the brakes. This goes on until even 30km/hr so I don't assume it's related to wheel balancing. Also wheel balancing issues should trigger steering wheel vibrations (which I don't see or feel rather). I really love the car and I've saved a lot to get this. Everything else is superb and perfect. Except for this.

I drive a lot and really wish this smoothens out. I do not know if this is an issue or it's normal for Genesis as it's my first Genesis so was hoping if a few owners could advice me through this. I would really appreciate that. The vibration is so slight that many don't feel until they actually drive it for an hour or so. One more thing though, this slight vibration also causes some pressure imbalances being felt in my ears (just similar to driving with just one window down of the 4)

Anyways please do share your experiences on the same.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I don't know about the UAE, but in the USA Hyundai dealers are not experts at wheel balancing. I would take it to a shop that specializes in tires only that can do a "road force balance" and that has a good reputation for getting things right.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I agree with Mark-888 about a good balance, but there is also a chance thay put on another crap tire. Mine came with Michelin and is perfectly smooth though the ones on my first Genesis were not at speeds over 75. . The fact you don't feel it in the steering wheel leads me to think the rear tires may be the culprit.

It is still possible that something in the drivetrain is not right either. Ask to have a tech ride with you so you can show him what you experience.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hmm obviously not the brakes if you can feel it while decelerating. As Mark said, iff they have road-force balancing there, I would try that. I would also see if you notice the vibration while stationary (both while the car is n park, as well as with it in gear but with your foot on the brake).

Thread starter #5

beel27

Many thanks for all of your inputs. I will get the road force balancing done via Dunlop. However I want this to be taken care by the agency because it's a new car! I will keep you all posted on this.

jsmit86

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Elgin, IL
There is a good chance that this is a wheel or tire issue. You dealer may want to try temporarily swapping a set of wheel/tires from a Genesis that is known to be smooth.
My dealer did that, and we found that both my original Michelin Primacy MXM4s, and a replacement set were defective. Once they did a final swap for Continental Extreme Contact DWS06, the care is smooth.

One other thing to possibly check. If you have the vibration at idle, have the dealer check your motor mounts. There were some posters here that had that issue with 2015s. Once the mounts were replaced, the problem was solved as I recall.

Thread starter #8

beel27

Hmm obviously not the brakes if you can feel it while decelerating. As Mark said, iff they have road-force balancing there, I would try that. I would also see if you notice the vibration while stationary (both while the car is n park, as well as with it in gear but with your foot on the brake).
OK so i checked it today and guess what, the vibration during idle is very noticeable with the AC on (whether in P or N/D). It goes completely smooth with the AC switched off. However the original vibration issue while driving is not improved with the AC switched on/off. That still exists. So all in all, I have 2 issues ; vibration while idle due to AC/mounts which needs to be confirmed and vibration while driving most likely due to tires.

To put it in simple words, I'm heart broken. I love this car so much can't see this happening =(

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I would have them check the alignment also.
He said it happens at idle also.

- - - Updated - - -

To put it in simple words, I'm heart broken. I love this car so much can't see this happening =(
I don't blame you. That kind of thing was common 20 or more years ago, but much less so these days, especially for a car that is being marketed as a luxury vehicle.

celltech

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
My '15 5.0 had what I was calling a "buzz" in the steering wheel at 40+ speeds. The buzz/vibration would totally go away when going around a high speed turn as the freeway swept either left or right and the suspension loaded up.

When I first got the car the vibration was worse and I had the dealer check the balance and one tire was way off on the front. I suspect that when the original Hankooks were recalled they literally just mounted the replacement Contis and never checked the balance. I later got a non repairable hole in a front tire and decided to get rid of those crappy Contis and had Michelin Pilot 3+ installed. The vibration was still there.

By this point I thought since the balance was already checked and tires replaced it might be the alignment. I had it checked and it was spot on. And as a FYI I had installed the suspension collars myself and wanted it checked anyway.

So I then took it back to the tire place and asked them to road force balance just the fronts. They claim the road force is really only necessary to seat the bead on brand new tires and I had already done several hundred miles. But they went ahead and gave it a shot. Low and behold they were off by a little bit, but not a major amount...maybe 1/4-1/2 oz?

The vibration was now totally gone. So it is my opinion that these cars are *very* sensitive to front wheel balance. Keep at it and make sure you are using a good shop with quality equipment....

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
OK so i checked it today and guess what, the vibration during idle is very noticeable with the AC on (whether in P or N/D). It goes completely smooth with the AC switched off. However the original vibration issue while driving is not improved with the AC switched on/off. That still exists. So all in all, I have 2 issues ; vibration while idle due to AC/mounts which needs to be confirmed and vibration while driving most likely due to tires.

I'm quoting you because this isn't a road issue. If you're getting vibration at idle in park, neutral, and drive, then it's not a tire related issue. Have them check the motor mounts for tightness, have them torque them to specs. Also, have them put the car on an analyzer. It may be a slight ignition problem. Have them duplicate it running, in neutral or drive at idle. The AC can reduce they way the vehicle idles causing unfelt vibrations. The only other thing I could even guess is, the harmonic balance not properly or completely seated on the splines. You can see I use the term "guess" because, "we are all guessing at the issue at hand."

The best thing in this situation is, take it into a dealer and have them duplicate, analyze and fix it. There could be a number of issues and we are all just suggesting what we believe might be the problem. I remember doing this on the Triumph Forums and very rarely would we come close to solving real issues.

Last edited:

TroyK

Registered Member
from what i can tell, the slight vibration at idle when the A/C is running seems to be pretty common, at least with 3.8L cars. has anyone actually had their service department do anything that stopped the slight vibration? i've only noticed the vibration on occasion, and really don't care much about it, but asking anyway. I'm in NO way talking about vibration at speed!

Seejay

Registered Member
Houston
from what i can tell, the slight vibration at idle when the A/C is running seems to be pretty common, at least with 3.8L cars. has anyone actually had their service department do anything that stopped the slight vibration? i've only noticed the vibration on occasion, and really don't care much about it, but asking anyway. I'm in NO way talking about vibration at speed!
Yes, mine had a bad vibration at idle with heavy AC load, it was fixed by replacing the motor mounts.

AustinTX

Registered Member
Austin, TX

I have the exact same two issues, and my car was at the dealership for 6+ weeks all together (they did pay for one month of my lease because of that, and they did provide an Enterprise loaner vehicle - the cheapest class offered), which included a Hyundai factory tech/engineer looking at the vehicle and making recommendations for fixes

BOTH issues have NOT been resolved (they are two absolutely separate issues) - and both the Hyundai regional service manager and the dealership service manager have told me that this is NORMAL (no other car I have ever driven, including cheapo rental cars have ever exhibited anything like these issues) and refuse to do anything more to troubleshoot.

The Genesis is the worst car I have ever owned/leased, and the service experience has also been terrible because they simply gave up (they have been friendly and helpful, but in the end told me politely to "f-off"). Once my lease is up, there won't be another Genesis/Hyundai brand vehicle in my garage/driveway ever again. I can't wait to be rid of this POS.

I hope you will have a better experience. It looks like they still don't have a grip on these issues several model years later!

Thread starter #15

beel27

Hello Everyone,

So to update, I had a thorough check done by 2 experts with a test drive of 15 minutes and they both confirmed the wheel balancing is off. As for motor mounts, they have ruled it out as the checks were clean and no red zones there.

However the road force balancing had to be done (was a bit off not with a margin at all.. Just minor ones) and guess what the vibration is still there. The idle vibration according to them is very normal at 750 RPM notch as it's not noticeable (which I can settle with as it doesn't matter). So I really believe the Dunlop GT tyres are the culprit. After spending so much time and effort, I don't think it's worth to get them tyres replaced. And I would happily get used to the vibrations while driving as anyways the roads of Dubai aren't that smooth either.

If time and pocket permits, I would definitely get them tyres swapped out to have a test done. So I would really appreciate your advices for which tyre brand I should go for considering it doesn't snow/rain here except for the heat (gets 50 degrees Celsius here on average)...

nelson

Hi, I bought a new 2015 Hyundai Genesis Tech, in November 2016, same has the G80, after 1 year and lots of vibrations , they were driving me nuts,,,, and I had heart problems a few months later... stress ?? ...I finally sold it at a 20K loss.. with only 22,000 km, I hate vibrations... I had Michelins, and also new winter wheels mags, and new tires and it still vibrated... I had tires balanced 5 times at my cost .... with no success...the dealer would not help me , they said it was ok,,, I came from Cadillac with absolutely no vibrations.... I regret selling it , but I really don't miss the vibrations...

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi, I bought a new 2015 Hyundai Genesis Tech, in November 2016, same has the G80, after 1 year and lots of vibrations , they were driving me nuts,,,, and I had heart problems a few months later... stress ?? ...I finally sold it at a 20K loss.. with only 22,000 km, I hate vibrations... I had Michelins, and also new winter wheels mags, and new tires and it still vibrated... I had tires balanced 5 times at my cost .... with no success...the dealer would not help me , they said it was ok,,, I came from Cadillac with absolutely no vibrations.... I regret selling it , but I really don't miss the vibrations...
Couple of thoughts. You should have tried a different dealer. If the vibration was the same with different tires, chances are it is not the tires. If two balances did not correct it, don't keep paying for more.

While I'm sure it was a great annoyance, you'd have done better following a different path for a resolution. Even a different service writer or tech could have made the difference.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.