Genesis G80 Sport Headlight Washer

Johnboy2k10

Registered Member
Spruce Grove, AB
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #1
Hi - sorry for a RTFM question, but the dealership has my car right now through the weekend and thus the manual.

Just bought my G80 Sport and was wondering if there is a headlight washer on this model. My thought is no, unless it pops out of the parking sensor on the front.

Can anyone comment on this? Disappointing omission if that's the case.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Are you in Canada? You should always mention that because the Canadian and US options are not always identical. It may also depend on whether you have AWD.

In the USA, owners of Hyundai's can get a PDF version of the manual by creating an account at www.myhyundai.com. I don't know if that is available for Genesis Motors vehicles.

Check with the Canadian website (if from Canada) to see if they have something similar.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
I am in Canada - All Genesis models are AWD here. I did check the website, there is no PDF manual option.
My 2015 AWD had them but they were eliminated on my 2018. The manual states "if equipped" but they are gone. This time we got foglights though instead I guess to make up for it. There are two rectangular pieces on the bumper and they would pop out.

I can send you the US manual if interested but I'm not sure what all is different.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi - sorry for a RTFM question, but the dealership has my car right now through the weekend and thus the manual.

Just bought my G80 Sport and was wondering if there is a headlight washer on this model. My thought is no, unless it pops out of the parking sensor on the front.

Can anyone comment on this? Disappointing omission if that's the case.
I don't think any of the 2018 models have headlight washers. It was a mistake to drop the washers, especially in cars with LED headlights. The LED lights do not produce enough heat, in very cold weather, to melt the snow/ice, hence it tends to block the headlights. Squirting washer fluid, with deicer, on the headlights, helps to keep the lights free of ice/snow.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
I don't think any of the 2018 models have headlight washers. It was a mistake to drop the washers, especially in cars with LED headlights. The LED lights do not produce enough heat, in very cold weather, to melt the snow/ice, hence it tends to block the headlights. Squirting washer fluid, with deicer, on the headlights, helps to keep the lights free of ice/snow.
I have to wonder if they were dropped to save money or it they proved troublesome in use. The washer had to extend, spray, retract and they only operated one cycle, IIRC. I can see them jamming in really nasty weather. The trade off was they put in fog lights. Everyone's driving circumstances is different, of course, personally I don't miss them but you do.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have to wonder if they were dropped to save money or it they proved troublesome in use. The washer had to extend, spray, retract and they only operated one cycle, IIRC. I can see them jamming in really nasty weather. The trade off was they put in fog lights. Everyone's driving circumstances is different, of course, personally I don't miss them but you do.
I would guess you are right about problems with bad weather and the squirts not functioning correctly. Sleet and very wet snow are the really bad times for ice accumulation. Snow in temps well below 32 isn't a problem it just blows off while driving.I am trying a product named DuPont Teflon for snow, a spray designed to keep metal and plastics free of snow and ice. It was the only one I could find that specifically said, on the can, that it was safe for clear plastics won't fog or stain. I want to try it on the radar plexiglass shield, as well as the LED headlights, so far the conditions have not been right. Now that I have the can I probably won't ever need it. :)

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I would guess you are right about problems with bad weather and the squirts not functioning correctly. Sleet and very wet snow are the really bad times for ice accumulation. Snow in temps well below 32 isn't a problem it just blows off while driving.I am trying a product named DuPont Teflon for snow, a spray designed to keep metal and plastics free of snow and ice. It was the only one I could find that specifically said, on the can, that it was safe for clear plastics won't fog or stain. I want to try it on the radar plexiglass shield, as well as the LED headlights, so far the conditions have not been right. Now that I have the can I probably won't ever need it. :)
Hmm. I would use Meguiar's Headlight Protectorant, because it is designed to provide UV protection against yellowing, and since it is a car wax type product it should make it easier to keep the headlights clean.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Hmm. I would use Meguiar's Headlight Protectorant, because it is designed to provide UV protection against yellowing, and since it is a car wax type product it should make it easier to keep the headlights clean.
I was not familiar with either but will pick up a can of the Du Pont stuff. I can use it on my snow blower and snow shovel. I read one of the reviews where he sprayed the wheel wells too. UV protection is not needed all that much here in January, that can wait.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
""""Hmm. I would use Meguiar's Headlight Protectorant, because it is designed to provide UV protection against yellowing, and since it is a car wax type product it should make it easier to keep the headlights clean.""""""""

Good idea thanks, I will give that a try.

GEE80

Hasn't posted much yet...
wilton, ct
For 2018 the G80 ultimate and sport with LED headlights do not have headlight washers. The base and premium G80's do have headlight washers.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
For 2018 the G80 ultimate and sport with LED headlights do not have headlight washers. The base and premium G80's do have headlight washers.
I wonder what the logic is, to not have the headlight washers on LED headlight equipped cars. Not so much to clean dirt but to get some antifreeze, from the windshield squirt fluid, on ice/snow build up, in hopes of clearing the ice/snow Since LED lights don't develop much heat, ice build up could be a problem on the headlights as well as the plexi-glass radar screen.

Last edited:

Johnboy2k10

Registered Member
Spruce Grove, AB
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #15
Hate them anyway - nothing worse than that chemical stuff over sprayed all over the hood. If in Canada and extreme North, then I get it.
Our roads get very dirty here in Northern Alberta (gravel salt mix) and I never had an issue with the headlight washer mechanism freezing or non-operational in anyway on my 2015 - it was a really nice feature. Headlights effectiveness can be really diminished when it gets slushy out as the lights just get coated in dirty road water. Using a -45 degree washer fluid and ice buildup was not a problem.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.