Genesis G80 vs Mercedes E Class

PeterPNJ

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hello All,

I just came back from a trip out to Las Vegas and I rented a car from a new company, Sixt (at least new to me). Their pricing was pretty excellent and I got a 2019 E300 for roughly $42 dollars a day. For a 3 day rental, after taxes and fees, I paid roulghly $184. Still excellent for the car I was given in my opinion.

I own a 2018 Genesis G80 with the Premium Package. I must say that the E300 is a beautiful car. It had a wonderful ride, excellent pick up when I hit the gas, and the interior just screamed luxury.

As nice as it was, a couple things stood out.

1.) Pricing. Now having driven both cars, my G80 compares superbly for what you get for the money.

2.) Standard Features. I've complained about all the beeping and vibrating with the parking and lane keep assist, but I have grown accustomed to them. I have to admit, I was waiting for the beeps when parking the Mercedes on more than 1 occasion. I don't know if these items are available from Mercedes either independently or as part of a package.

Long story short, the Mercedes is a Mercedes. It lives up to its name. However, I am glad I made the choice I did. Genesis G80, for the money is phenomenal.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

leggy

Been here awhile...
SoCal
I look forward to the time when we can say “nothing beats Genesis in my opinion” without always having having to include “for the money”
That's hard and very long way to go, 20-30 years? Think about it, what would a Genesis need to have so an S class shopper will pay the same amount for it?

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

leggy

Been here awhile...
SoCal
Well I think their dealers are holding them back. They don’t have to be great, they just have to be not bad. Then step out of the way and let the cars sell themselves.
Of course, that's a big part of the problem. Solve that, build brand name and be innovative and people will care less about value like they do now.

laxdad21

Columbus, OH
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Of course, that's a big part of the problem. Solve that, build brand name and be innovative and people will care less about value like they do now.
But even then, you're going to be faced with people who are brand loyalists, even if the brand has long-standing quality issues (think fans of USA Big 3 automakers). Plus, Genesis and Hyundai before them have a very short history compared to MB, which goes back to the 1800's. It will take time, but in the meantime, enjoy the perks of early adoption before the rest of the world catches on.

MG8

Hasn't posted much yet...
my Genesis has so much more features and power than my benzs leather in bens is cheap leatherette , the rspec rocking the napa.

3.3 Rulz

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Forget German cars, I'll never get one, they're all finicky with their electronics, always in the shop, cost a fortune to maintain and repair, I'll take a South Korean car any day over a German car, at least they're reliable and have a 10y/100k powertrain warranty.