Genesis GV80 Information

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I remember metal dash boards and no seat belts. Time's have changed!
I'm sorry to say so do I.
My first car a 1956 Mercury Montclair Phaeton.
I loved that car.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If it is important to you and the extra storage room is not important then if the dealer will not provide you a wheel/tire for a reasonable cost then the aftermarket is an excellent place to source this item which you may never need. If it were me, I would buy a used spare and carry it when necessary such as road trips. Store it at other times for the space and weight savings. You have choices, is the point.
On my Volvo the dealer added the spare at dealer cost to make the sale of the car.
Why store it? Weight savings is not enough for me to be concerned with. I gashed a sidewall 15 miles from home on a simple shopping trip. December, dark, cold, raining, tire stores closed. Yeah, I want a spare. All the time.

Gen1GV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Spare tire situation in GV80: There is no possibility of having a spare tire (i.e. a doughnut) in the Advanced or the Prestige trim. This is only possible in the basic. The two upgraded trims come with compressor fix-a-flat kit. Can anyone verify if this is correct?
In my Prestige trim I took the stupid cargo floor system out and use it to store tools, umbrella, and my awesome bottle of Genesis brand fix a flat

dapribek

Registered Member
In my Prestige trim I took the stupid cargo floor system out and use it to store tools, umbrella, and my awesome bottle of Genesis brand fix a flat
BTW, I have the Advanced trim and I do have a spare tire.
The Advanced + does not have one.

aye

The Genesis engineers must have had an unsolvable problem with fitting the spare tire doughnut in the Advanced+ and Prestige c/w the Advanced. It is surprising because the overall diameter of the tire is the same in the 19 inch (P265/55VR19) and the 22 inch (P265/40/R22) (Tire Size Comparison).

If they couldn't find a way to fit a doughnut spare in, how am I to retrofit one in, I guess. Geb1GV80, though, your modification of the cargo floor system makes me think it would not be that difficult to do. Do you think so?

mistersteve

Registered Member
FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
My last couple BMWs didn't have spare tires because the car had run-flats. I put them on my previous G90 and Genesis 5.0. While the Michelins on the GV80 are a whole lot better than the blowout prone Continentals on the G90, I'd still like to change my GV80 to run-flats. Right after I bought it (advanced 3.5TT) I looked for some tires and I believe there was one brand in the right size but they were far from readily available and very expensive. If anyone knows of a suitable and available 20" run-flat I'd appreciate knowing the source.

aye

The GV80 Advanced has the doughnut spare with a jack. It comes with 20 inch wheel.

What do you think of this? I order the Prestige trim, but with the 20 inch wheels instead of the 22, with the spare in back???

wheeling

Registered Member
Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
The GV80 Advanced has the doughnut spare with a jack. It comes with 20 inch wheel.

What do you think of this? I order the Prestige trim, but with the 20 inch wheels instead of the 22, with the spare in back???
Can you really do that? Order a 20" wheels with spare on the Prestige?

dapribek

Registered Member
I don’t believe that is possible. Also the Prestige model doesn’t come with the necessary plastic insert for the spare tire. Hope you’re right though!

Gen1GV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
The Genesis engineers must have had an unsolvable problem with fitting the spare tire doughnut in the Advanced+ and Prestige c/w the Advanced. It is surprising because the overall diameter of the tire is the same in the 19 inch (P265/55VR19) and the 22 inch (P265/40/R22) (Tire Size Comparison).

If they couldn't find a way to fit a doughnut spare in, how am I to retrofit one in, I guess. Geb1GV80, though, your modification of the cargo floor system makes me think it would not be that difficult to do. Do you think so?
When you take out the stupid sub floor cargo tray there is the original space where the spare tire is supposed to be and where the anchor attaches to the floor to secure the spare is also there. Genesis just covered it up, but you can easily put the spare tire and securely mount it if you remove the sub floor cargo tray. Personally, I am currently using the spare tire well to hold my tools, umbrella, etc..

mitchrusso

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
You need to spend over 63k to get a heads-up display??
Actually, more. It does not come with the 3.5 AWD Advanced package, only Prestigue, which includes the 3D dashboard, the soft close doors, the 360 camera, the left/right blind spot cameras, and fancier seats with rear cooling seats too. That package locally is about $74K

AJB

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Actually, more. It does not come with the 3.5 AWD Advanced package, only Prestigue, which includes the 3D dashboard, the soft close doors, the 360 camera, the left/right blind spot cameras, and fancier seats with rear cooling seats too. That package locally is about $74K
Funny thing I noticed is that if you put on a pair of polarized sunglasses you can't see the heads-up display anymore.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Funny thing I noticed is that if you put on a pair of polarized sunglasses you can't see the heads-up display anymore.
Same thing happens in jet fighter aircraft. A-7 was the first US plane to have it.
The pilots cannot wear polarized lenses for the same reason, they lose the HUD.

AJB

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Same thing happens in jet fighter aircraft. A-7 was the first US plane to have it.
The pilots cannot wear polarized lenses for the same reason, they lose the HUD.
Learn something new everyday!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
A good HUD should be clear even using polarized lenses.
I bet the Air Force would like to hear from you on how to do that.
The F-35 built it into the pilot's helmet but the helmet is custom made at $400k each.

wheeling

Registered Member
Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I know the old ones doesn't work from years back, thought they already solved this. In another forum, don't remember which, people was bragging their HUD works with polarized sunglasses.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners