• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Genesis Loaners...This looks bad

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well..........that's a bad sign.

Car is ready for the 1st oil change. I called the valet services at Genesis (who are great and very helpful and very willing to work hard for you and they reached out to the nearest dealer, the place I bought the car and who promised me a loaner and showed me ALL the loaners, AND NOW THEY DO NOT DO LOANERS! That was 6 months ago!

Genesis Valet apologized and called another dealer - they "had to check with the service manager if they could do a loaner". So Genesis left a message for them to call me back - they never did. I called Genesis this morning who tried that dealer again - they refused to answer any phone.

Genesis Valet called a 3rd dealer and I'm good to go now.

But, this is Houston, Texas. The nearest dealer is 8 miles from me and on the way to work. The 2nd is only 15 miles but that's like 45 minutes each way. The 3rd is like 25 miles and in the wrong traffic over an hour.

This looks bad......

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Without the dealer network fully fleshed out and functional (and a lot dealers operating like a Hyundai dealership instead of Genesis one) this seems to be what I hear on the forums. Most people won't post if the service is good but you'll most likely hear if it's bad! I'm sorry this sucks for you and for many who want to be early adopters yet having the dealership experience letting them down. I hope they improve in this category over the coming year.

I haven't had a lot of issues, knock on wood, but the dealership I've dealt with has been great thus far.

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So far the dealer that did answer their phone is working with me and seems to be "good".

I liked the original dealership I got the car from. So far I haven't had a poor experience until now but this is also the 1st service experience I've had.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

NLJ

Registered Member
Vancouver
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
These dealers have a long history of selling Hyundai. They have been ignoring customers for years. They can’t (or don’t want to) see the Genesis big picture. They obviously make enough with Hyundai and are looking for a quick buck with Genesis. There is no commitment to service. Unless Genesis has some kind of stick (and in the US that is tough) they will kill the brand at lest in their market. Very short sighted.
Here at least with my dealer, if you walk into the main Hyundai dealer, they straight up say that they are not trained on Genesis and give you the cards for the Genesis people since Genesis is run out of a boutique in the mall.
The Genesis specific folks don't deal with anything Hyundai and only go to the dealership for specific things. Even the new Genesis is not parked anywhere on the dealership lot. They are hidden away somewhere. Only used ones are on the lot. The Hyundai guys will gladly let you test drive and buy a used Genesis.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
... Unless Genesis has some kind of stick (and in the US that is tough) they will kill the brand at lest in their market. Very short sighted.

Well, Texas is a bit worse because you MUST buy a car from a franchisee - so no Tesla nor Volvo subscriptions. But, a franchisee must stick to the franchisee contract or they will have it pulled - that is the stick.

The issue it sounds like is Genesis is allowing their franchisees pick and choose what they offer, i.e. Genesis of Southwest Houston is still a Genesis but they just don't want to do the valet and loaners. Having a different experience at different places will kill the marque.

I mean, the whole point of a franchise model it to be the same. Can you imagine if you couldn't get a Big Mac at any McDonald's...or worse in some places it was single patty with no sauce?

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, Texas is a bit worse because you MUST buy a car from a franchisee - so no Tesla nor Volvo subscriptions. But, a franchisee must stick to the franchisee contract or they will have it pulled - that is the stick.

The issue it sounds like is Genesis is allowing their franchisees pick and choose what they offer, i.e. Genesis of Southwest Houston is still a Genesis but they just don't want to do the valet and loaners. Having a different experience at different places will kill the marque.

I mean, the whole point of a franchise model it to be the same. Can you imagine if you couldn't get a Big Mac at any McDonald's...or worse in some places it was single patty with no sauce?
You should see them in India lol.
I agree though. Pretty stupid that the dealers don't have their feet held to the fire

WWIAFTM

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Bought the car at Genesis of Southwest Houston.

Genesis of West Houston refused to call me back or answer the phone.

Genesis of Northwest Houston seemed very glad to help me out.
is genesis of NW houston the one attached to HUB near 1960?

pistonreturnspring

SWFL
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thanks for the information on loaners, this is interesting. I'm seriously in the market for a G70 and I'm going to look at one this weekend, definitively a question I'll have for the dealer.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have an entire thread about my poor experience with my local dealers who also do not do loaners. After two cases with Genesis corporate, one of them conceded and gave me a loaner which was a brand new G70 2.0T sport off the lot. Still had window sticker... so, wasnt really a loaner fleet car, just the only other Genesis they had on the lot to shut me up... lol

Things may improve once the SUVs come to market. Sedans arent big sellers anymore. If sales take off with the SUVs, genesis dealers will need to get onboard with Genesis perks quickly or the company will fail as a lux brand.

They'll forever be remembered as a joke of a lux brand.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
This is the downside of Genesis having to abandon their original plan where they pre-selected dealer groups that were to get a Genesis franchise.

W/ how things went, they weren't able to cull the herd to get rid of the underperforming dealerships.

What's surprising, however, is if Genesis didn't bake into the franchise agreement that all franchisees need to provide loaners (and to a lesser extent, valet service within a certain radius) - as the price of those service amenities are baked into the MSRP.

Now, w/ respect to loaners, diff. dealerships will offer different levels of service.

For instance, there are Lexus dealerships which provide Toyotas (or Hyundais = one dealer group that owns a Lexus franchise also owns a Hyundai store) as loaners and others just use a car rental service.

There is even a Lexus dealership that charges a nominal fee for loaners.

But never heard of a dealership refusing to pick up a phone (unless they wanted to avoid an angry customer).

Don't know why West Houston even bothered to become a Genesis dealership if they're not going to be serious about it.

But one has to note - under the original plan, there were probably only going to be 2 dealerships serving Houston.

clark1566

Registered Member
Savannah, Ga.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I know there is a lot of inconsistency with dealerships right now. But there are some good ones. My dealership (Genesis of Savannah) scolded me for NOT using the valet service and gave me a direct number to my service advisor and the service manager to call and set up my next service appointment. And they guaranteed me a Genesis loaner. I'm not sure why other dealerships don't seem to be onboard with this level of service. It's a shame.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums