Genesis models to be built in Alabama

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Article says "Hyundai says it does not comment on manufacturing locations of future models." So "AutoForecast Solutions" is speculating or they have inside information.

But I would not be surprised at all if the two future Genesis CUV/SUVs will be built at the Alabama plant, where the Hyundai Santa Fe is now built. They are also saying that the next gen of the G80 (probably around 2019-2020) would also be built in Alabama. But again, this has not been confirmed by Hyundai.

silberma

Been here awhile...
Palm Beach, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Does the Genesis sales data really support a new manufacturing plant in the USA. BMW for example builds it top selling cars here, however, slower selling models like the 5 and 7 series are still made in Germany

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Does the Genesis sales data really support a new manufacturing plant in the USA. BMW for example builds it top selling cars here, however, slower selling models like the 5 and 7 series are still made in Germany
The new manufacturing plant in AL was not just for Genesis, but also Hyundai branded vehicles.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Is there any specific version of the Genesis that comes from Asan?
V8, RWD, etc...

Just wondering about the delineation.
All Genesis models come from the same plant in Korea, one of the largest auto plants in the world.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I guess I am confused. Where is Asan?

About 60 Miles from Seoul. Ulsan on the other hand is on the Southeast coast of Korea, interestingly enough geographically closer to Japan than Seoul.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
About 60 Miles from Seoul. Ulsan on the other hand is on the Southeast coast of Korea, interestingly enough geographically closer to Japan than Seoul.
OK. I don't know why anyone cares which Korean plant it is built in.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
In auto-manufacturing, defect rates can vary by manufacturing plant.
OK, but most of the major assembles (engine, transmission, purchased parts like HECU and many others) are made separately at a particular plant, and then the car has final assembly later at the same plant (different part of the plant) or a different plant.

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL
I was wondering if there was any specific version of the Genesis that had production in Asan. For example... V8 versions, Base versions without Pano Roofs, etc....

Usually when something is built in a different plant or line, there is some variation in the product itself that determines that change.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
OK, but most of the major assembles (engine, transmission, purchased parts like HECU and many others) are made separately at a particular plant, and then the car has final assembly later at the same plant (different part of the plant) or a different plant.

Yep, absolutely true. But as much as the manufacturers would like to eliminate it, there's still room for a lot of variance at the point of final assembly. I'm not saying Ulsan or Asan (or Alabama, for that matter) is better, just that they are potentially different. In addition to final assembly, they both stamp their own body panels onsite (from Hyundai cold rolled steel, no less) as well as do their own painting on site.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I was wondering if there was any specific version of the Genesis that had production in Asan. For example... V8 versions, Base versions without Pano Roofs, etc....

Usually when something is built in a different plant or line, there is some variation in the product itself that determines that change.

I wish I knew. I only know that someone popped up in the past year and made a post about their car being manufactured in Asan. That surprised the heck out of me because the only cars previously assembled at Asan were FWD vehicles (and in fact, FWD vehicles on the same platform). I am pretty sure that that person had a 2016, but I can't find the post to confirm. Then I remembered the post from Nikgen where he mentioned that his new 2016 was made in Asan (Nikgen previously had a 2015 that he traded in for a 2016).

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Is the final assembly of Genesis sedan in Ulsan South Korea, or Asan South Korea?

This is pretty low on my list of things to worry about in the world.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is the final assembly of Genesis sedan in Ulsan South Korea, or Asan South Korea?

This is pretty low on my list of things to worry about in the world.

And yet here you are, posting in a topic that clearly deals with where the Genesis is manufactured. If only there were a way to not have to clutter your omnipotent mind with this topic.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
And yet here you are, posting in a topic that clearly deals with where the Genesis is manufactured. If only there were a way to not have to clutter your omnipotent mind with this topic.
I starting reading this topic, only because of the title which said "Genesis models to be built in Alabama."

You are one of the most reasonable and intelligent people on this forum, so please, please don't tell me you are obsessed about a Hyundai built at Ulsan South Korea vs Asan South Korea. I know that Hyundai sent you to Korea to visit the Hyundai plant, but please....

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums