• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Genesis New York concept

Aquineas

4th Genesis
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think it's a nice looking car and I get the feeling the production version will look better. It's a little too "out there" for me as it stands. So toning it down a little bit will likely please my eyes...

This. I really hope they don't lose the front fenders however, which rise up a bit like 70s era Lincolns (though smoother in this implementation obviously).

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
I think it's a nice looking car and I get the feeling the production version will look better. It's a little too "out there" for me as it stands. So toning it down a little bit will likely please my eyes...

Tail end needs to go (big time ugly!) - externally, everything else looks pretty good and will likely look great once toned down a little bit for real production.

Advocate225

Registered Member
Philadelphia
I was at the New York Auto Show on Saturday and had the chance to see two G90 sedans and the New York Concept. Assuming the transition from concept to production can retain the same theme, though with a realistic roof height, I think the G70 will find a market. I'd assume a bigger version of the G70 would translate into the next restyle of the G80.

Though this is not the forum, while I'm here I will say that the G90 is a knockout. I think it blows the doors off the Lincoln Continental, and though different in approach than the CT6, will attract more luxury buyers than the old Equus.

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I was at the New York Auto Show on Saturday and had the chance to see two G90 sedans and the New York Concept. Assuming the transition from concept to production can retain the same theme, though with a realistic roof height, I think the G70 will find a market. I'd assume a bigger version of the G70 would translate into the next restyle of the G80.

Though this is not the forum, while I'm here I will say that the G90 is a knockout. I think it blows the doors off the Lincoln Continental, and though different in approach than the CT6, will attract more luxury buyers than the old Equus.

It's 100% going to attract more luxury buyers than the Equus... I think "Continental" - the name - is going to attract a lot of attention. And it's a nice car... The CT6 is getting a lot of praise... It's definitely a tough market to be in. Very competitive...

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ Agreed that the Conti should outsell the G90 and wouldn't be surprised if it isn't close.

There usually is a divide btwn domestic and import buyers and depending on how Ford prices the Conti, it could break the 15k mark (the XTS has been selling over 20k and in its 1st year, sold over 32k - before the CTS took some sales).

Here is a rendering done by an aftermarket parts maker, Brenthon, of the next gen Grandeur/Azera.

ig-render7-1024x462.jpg

3161_10487_1354.jpg

So who knows how accurate it is, but if it is, don't like that the designers aren't differentiating the design language more btwn Genesis and Hyundai (also see some of Schreyer's Kia influence w/ the K7/Cadenza's greenhouse/C-pillar treatment); would make a great design for the next G80 tho.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
While this isn't about the Genesis brand, thought what Kia was doing in the luxury market was relevant.

First spy spots.

2017_kia_sports-sedan_spy-photos_02.jpg

2017_kia_sports-sedan_spy-photos_01.jpg

Not surprisingly a bit toned down from the GT concept, but think I'm going to like this a good bit better than the Genesis/G80 (that is, until the next gen G80 which will get the design cues from the New York concept).

srobak

Registered Member
Chicagoland
While this isn't about the Genesis brand, thought what Kia was doing in the luxury market was relevant.

I see what they did here - and I am honestly hoping that they don't go through with it. BMW did this with the Gran Turismo 5 series - and it hasn't done for beans. They are dropping it after this year if sales do not pick up substantially - and I am actually surprised they haven't dropped it yet. This long -fastback design on a 4 door sedan just is not appealing to enough people to generate sales, and other companies that have tried similar have not had good results either.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
One can tell that Kia toned-down the greenhouse/roofline so that it's not nearly as tapered as the 5 Series GT or even the 6 Series GC (which has more rear headroom than the 5 GT), or the Audi A7 for that matter.

In fact, would say not that dissimilar to the roofline of the Optima or the Genesis/G80 in terms of rear headroom.

As Kia is supposed to be on the sportier end (compared to Hyundai/Genesis), think having a more striking roofline at the cost of some rear headroom would be fine.

Likely not going to sell in Genesis/G80 nos. but at the same time, wouldn't be surprised if the top trim of this is higher-end and more popular than the top trim of the G80 (as the SX/SXL trims of the Optima has been compared to the top Sonata trim).

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Some more spy shots of the G80's Kia cousin.

26519173890_e7380a964e_b.jpg

26724607611_e58ea0b696_b.jpg

While you can see where the designers had to tone things done for the production version, still looks good.

The G80 is going to have to step things up for the MCE or the next gen or else the Kia is going to steal some sales - the Genesis/G80 did 2,724 last month and is on track to hit 30k for the year.

In comparison, the Lexus GS did 1,001 for the month and is on track for less than 15k (but yeah, luxury badge - blah, blah, blah...)

26552342710_282cf4ba8e_b.jpg

26731378162_77de65f9b4_b.jpg

Those rear lights look sexy.

(I'm thinking Schreyer and Co. dumbed down the look of the current Optima b/c they didn't want it competing against this.)

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL
What KIA is this? Pretty obviously not the Cadenza, which has been shown. Is this K900 series?

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Interior shots (sans dash) of the GT.

The interior looks promising (better than on the current Genesis - which isn't surprising since Kia tends to do outdo Hyundai when it comes to interiors).

26593551833_f356eb4dae_b.jpg

26592172964_d295c63c23_b.jpg

26593551513_5929df1104_b.jpg

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
It sounds like Kia has something for those who can't quite afford the Genesis G80. I'm guessing it's going to take over where the Genesis Sedan left off...

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ Don't think this is going to be priced much lower than the G80 - taking into the account what seems to be a more luxurious interior and probably more amenities (the Cadenza, for example, is priced higher than the Azera).

On the Genesis news front - the Genesis brand won't be getting the N-performance line.

But instead, will be getting its own performance line moniker (which is the right move).

Biermann also confirmed that Genesis, Hyundai's luxury standalone sister brand, will get high-performance variants of its models, and suggested it would be available in the UK.

"We will go into different markets and regions with N," Biermann said. "We will also develop high-performance cars for the Genesis brand but they won't have the N badge. N is just the sub-label for Hyundai cars."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/hyundai-i30-n-hot-hatch-confirmed-2017-launch

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type