• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Genesis Owners: What vehicle did your Genesis replace?

jwaters943

Been here awhile...
Reno, NV
Simple question, what vehicle did your Genesis replace? I'm curious to see how many of you owned a Hyundai prior to purchasing the Genesis. For those of you who are coming from another brand, please specify if this is your first Hyundai vehicle. If not, please list what Hyundai(s) you've owned previously.

Thanks! :)

As for me, the Genesis was a direct replacement for my 2006 Honda Pilot. Since my better half now also drives an SUV, I didn't see the need to have two utility vehicles in our household, plus I missed the luxury of my former car (GS430). When I need to take the dogs somewhere or haul something large/bulky I'll just use our Outlander. ;) The Genesis is my first Hyundai vehicle.

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
If I do purchase a Hyundai Genesis, it'll replace a 2007 Chrysler 300C. It would be my first Hyundai. My father and step mother have been buying Hyundais for about ten years now - mainly Sonatas (father) and Elantras (step-mother). My father is very interested in the Genesis as well...

gipp

Been here awhile...
New Jersey
Sadly,I will be replacing a 1992 Mercedes 400E - Great car!!!. I was going to keep it as a collector car but the values have totally gone down the gutter. MSRP on the 400E was $72,000 then. I really do not feel like coughing up another $70,000 for another Mercedes E given the current state of quality of thier products. I do need a full sized "prestige" car for the occasions that I take a client to lunch, etc.. As mentioned elsewhere I have been waiting 2 years for the Genesis as I was going to replace the Mercedes then but saw the Genesis at the NY Car show and was hooked. Almost went for the M45 but decided to wait it out. Glad I did!

Simonwpb

Been here awhile...
I am trading in my 2005 Dodge Dakota.

I just checked my memory bank and this is my first 4-door sedan in the last 10 vehicles! My fun car is a Z4, but this is going to make it more of a contest.

GrandPrix08

Been here awhile...
Rutherford, NJ
Sadly,I will be replacing a 1992 Mercedes 400E - Great car!!!. I was going to keep it as a collector car but the values have totally gone down the gutter. MSRP on the 400E was $72,000 then. I really do not feel like coughing up another $70,000 for another Mercedes E given the current state of quality of thier products. I do need a full sized "prestige" car for the occasions that I take a client to lunch, etc.. As mentioned elsewhere I have been waiting 2 years for the Genesis as I was going to replace the Mercedes then but saw the Genesis at the NY Car show and was hooked. Almost went for the M45 but decided to wait it out. Glad I did!
So, did you get the Genesis yet? I see most New Jersey dealers have at least one of them now.

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
So, did you get the Genesis yet? I see most New Jersey dealers have at least one of them now.
I know it's not easy (I'm guilty of this myself!) but lets not start an off-topic discussion here. Our profiles have two options for personal discussions - private - and out in the open. Click on any profile to see. Either start a new thread with the question or go private.

Thank you! :)

goodmove

Hasn't posted much yet...
I will be replacing a 2007 Camry Hybrid with the V8 as I am working from home and will be driving less. I have owned a 2004 Hyundai XG350L which was a tremendous value.

Viking

Registered Member
Minnesota
When I get my V-6 w/Tech package, it will be my first Hyundai. I have had a company car for the past 12 years (latest one is a 2006 Toyota Avalon). Separately we own a Toyota Siennna Limited XLE AWD for a family car with our three kids. I will not buy a Toyota again given the recent slide in quality (IMO).

I considered buying a new Avalon Limited but found it boring compared to other options. I then debated long and hard between the 2009 Maxima and Genesis but decided on the Genesis.

Never thought I would own a Hyundai but I really like this car and the value for the money. I am not a "badge" guy, but I do find myself feeling like I have to make excuses for buying a Hyundai when I explain my upcoming purchase to friends...

Lonny 53

Hasn't posted much yet...
Downey CA
This is also MY first Hyundai, and, like a lot of others, I never thought I would get a Hyundai. I still have my 2006 M45, but the lease is up on Sept 1st and I will be turning it in towards the end of August. I enjoyed driving it but am tired of the less than stellar gas mileage and having to put premium in it. I am already enjoying all that the Genesis has to offer.

kbmuenkel

Getting familiar with the group...
I sold my 2004 Toyota Prius with 81k miles for $17,000. Considering I paid $23,000 for the Prius new in early 2004, not bad heh?

I put the $17k down on the V6 Genesis w/Tech. Nice car! Very nice car!

Bob

kbmuenkel

Getting familiar with the group...
Thanks. I loved my Prius but I change cars every 4 to 5 years. It was time and the resale market was ridiculously in my favor. I simply could not have planned it better and just got lucky.

There is a HUGE difference between the Prius and the Genesis. No comparison. My Prius only had two advantages: 1) it was paid for, and 2) it averaged 48 MPG over the 81k miles I had it. Other than that, the Genesis is light years above the Prius.

Bob

mkaresh

Registered Member
I sold my 2004 Toyota Prius with 81k miles for $17,000. Considering I paid $23,000 for the Prius new in early 2004, not bad heh?

I put the $17k down on the V6 Genesis w/Tech. Nice car! Very nice car!

Bob
This is a very good time to sell a Prius. The Genesis won't hold its value as well, but then nothing else will, either.

Very interesting thread. As I'm used to seeing with the people who participate in my research, there isn't much of a pattern here, with people trading a Prius, a Dakota pickup, a BMW...

More of my research participants than usual have been abandoning the German brands for mid-level cars like the Accord. I wonder how many might resort to the Genesis as less of a change. I do think the Germans are going to have a lot of trouble maintaining their sales, as many people clearly don't want to keep paying their higher prices. It might be a good time to introduce the Genesis after all, despite the high gas prices.

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
More of my research participants than usual have been abandoning the German brands for mid-level cars like the Accord. I wonder how many might resort to the Genesis as less of a change. I do think the Germans are going to have a lot of trouble maintaining their sales, as many people clearly don't want to keep paying their higher prices. It might be a good time to introduce the Genesis after all, despite the high gas prices.
As it turns out, it does appear this will be a great time for the Genesis.. With pricing going up the way they are, this car could be a huge hit.. It's not as game changing as the Lexus LS in 1989, but with the way prices are going up (especially on leases), the Hyundai Genesis may sell similarly as a result.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums